Speech ends up onto the Character

Started by AndreasBlack, Fri 12/08/2022 18:51:52

Previous topic - Next topic

AndreasBlack

Here's a screenshot https://i.imgur.com/pR7se9o.png
So i know how to semi fix it, but i'm unsatisfied with that result. Character.SayAt(20, 47, 110, "Bla bla");

I've tried cropping out the sprite differently, giving it more free height in the image some empty px's (greenscreen,purple whatever you call it!), but to no success.
It works perfectly fine on one playable character, but this character is shorter. Can i perhaps edit the scripts a little bit for specific character height?

newwaveburritos

I don't see a screenshot here so I don't understand the issue 100% but you can use character's .x and .y properties in the SayAt to avoid hard coordinates.

AndreasBlack

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 12/08/2022 19:19:36
https://i.imgur.com/pR7se9o.png

Thanks, weird it didn't show up on my post. I've edited it now tho! I'm thinking that the speech perhaps is customised in the Thumbleweed template and it could be possible to adjust it accordingly to the sprite height, but what do i know. I'm  just a lousy guitar player trying to make a game (nod)

Khris

This shouldn't happen regardless of the template, however AGS moves speech lines away from GUIs. Check if there's an invisible GUI at the top.

Rik_Vargard

I had something similar (not on the character but not on top of it either).

I changed the speech style to Lucasarts in the general settings and that did the trick for me.

AndreasBlack

Quote from: Khris on Sat 13/08/2022 14:56:29
This shouldn't happen regardless of the template, however AGS moves speech lines away from GUIs. Check if there's an invisible GUI at the top.

I'm using Gui's that's all over the screen for certain scenes actually, popup mode normal, visible = false. What exactly are you suggesting i should do? Save a copy of the game and delete them one after one and see if it works? Just to be clear this happens in all rooms with this character, but some longer sentences seems to popup correctly which is odd. Could i perhaps push the GUI's outside of the screen and then code them in their rightful place once being used with the tween module (achievements, an password panel) ???

I mean i obviously need some of those gui's. Elevator Buttons, Password panel, etc.

Khris

I meant to say a technically visible but completely transparent GUI.
However if this only happens with a specific character it has probably something to do with the first frame of the speech view or something? That's what I guess AGS uses to determine the height of the character, so if there's a shorter sprite in there somehow this might explain it.

AndreasBlack

Edit: Found it. It's the GUI for the character select in the upper right corner (Dott, Thumbleweed style). Probably when i used the other character, i had not added the portrait/selection. My bad. It's also so that the speech works if you are higher up in the Room so it's based on the Y axis mostly, it seems. Question is what i should change for it to not affect the speech?

Original post: You were right as always, Kris.
Turns out it is something about the GUi's. However i've yet to come up with a solution. I was a bit "lucky". Deleted all the Gui's as a test. i'm trying to think of a faster way to solve this. tried resizing all the g's to 1px height 1x width. No success. Any ideas are welcomed. Deleting them one at a time is the only option i can think of atm, and i feel like crying. (20-25 gui's) (laugh)

Khris

How wide is the GUI? Is it as wide as the button in the top right corner?

AndreasBlack

Quote from: Khris on Mon 15/08/2022 13:58:49
How wide is the GUI? Is it as wide as the button in the top right corner?

All settings in the layout:
Height: 29
Width: 25
Left: 295
Top: 30
Zorder: 0

All Bg settings are 0, and bg image is yeah the portrait!

Edit:

SOLUTION

Ops, no button was ever added, i guess i just took for granted a BG image would work aswell, guess not. It's working now

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk