A new community adventure game for 2022?

Started by WHAM, Tue 16/08/2022 10:30:55

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

I was recently reminded of the AGS wiki and realised that I had a page there that was badly in need of updating, so I've added a few things, and will add some more later. As part of this I was reminded of some old projects of various quality, such as these:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44156.0
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49495.0

Sadly only one of these projects ever truly finished due to waning interest, overt complexity for little return and, most of all, myself becoming too busy to keep up. (RIP King Simulator 2013, I miss you to this day and still have a design doc from 2019 for recreating the basic concept as an AGS idle game)

Still, I loved working on these little projects and I might be interested in trying another one. The question is: are folks interested in it?

For me these projects are a way to experiment with narratives and pixel art, and for the participants they, hopefully, provide interesting and funny moments and an extended narrative that can take unexpected turns thanks to audience participation.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

cat

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 16/08/2022 10:30:55
The question is: are folks interested in it?

YES! It's hard too believe it has been more 10 years already since Undersea Facility...

CaptainD

heltenjon

WHAM

Good to see some people might be interested! I'll draft up some plans and check to see if I'm allowed to host something in the competitions & activities board, or if it'd be better to keep it here. If more people are interested, do chime in!

Quote from: cat on Tue 16/08/2022 12:06:19
YES! It's hard too believe it has been more 10 years already since Undersea Facility...

Yeah, how much time has passed came as a bit of a shock to myself, too.

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 16/08/2022 16:56:41
Hey Timo! Yeah I'd be up for it.

Timo? Well now I'm a little, teeny-tiny bit offended, CaptainC.   (laugh)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

cat

*putsonmodhat* I have one favour to ask: To keep this place as friendly and politics free as it is now, please decide on a fictional setting like the undersea facility or the king simulator (as opposed to the Africa game that was based on a real historic setting). I think people will be more comfortable this way.

WHAM

Not to worry. My current idea is something very traditional to point-and-click adventure games.

And don't tell me the undersea facility into which the privileged few were evacuated once global warming caused uncontrollable sea level rise leaving the poor people to survive on small islands and floating slums above, desperate to steal a ride below the surface so they can break in and claim a better life in the prepared shelters for themselves, was entirely non-political :D Our amnesiac protagonist was just unaware of most things, and we never asked that many questions.

KyriakosCH

Sounds cool, though I am not sure if I have anything to contribute; these days I mostly make isometric gfx for strategy games  8-0
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

CaptainD

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 16/08/2022 21:22:04
Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 16/08/2022 16:56:41
Hey Timo! Yeah I'd be up for it.

Timo? Well now I'm a little, teeny-tiny bit offended, CaptainC.   (laugh)

Sorry my brain tottered between Timo and Tomi for quite a while!

I've I'm still wrong tell me to go check the credits screen on Stomping Boots  :-D I blame my age.

WHAM

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 17/08/2022 09:20:25
Sorry my brain tottered between Timo and Tomi for quite a while!

I've I'm still wrong tell me to go check the credits screen on Stomping Boots  :-D I blame my age.

The funniest part is that this somehow keeps happening to me at work all the time!
My email signature has my name as "Tomi" and people keep replying to me with a "Dear Timo" or "Dear Tommi" or "Dear Toni" as if I didn't know how to spell my own name!  (laugh)

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 16/08/2022 23:16:16
Sounds cool, though I am not sure if I have anything to contribute; these days I mostly make isometric gfx for strategy games  8-0

Not to worry, all people need to contribute is a few words every now and then to keep the story moving. Art donations might also be accepted if they fit the theme of the game, but we'll see what that might be like later on.

lorenzo

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 16/08/2022 10:30:55
The question is: are folks interested in it?
Yes! Sounds like a lot of fun!

WHAM

I have been granted permission to start us off, and so you may now participate in this new attempt at a community roleplaying game in the thread linked below:

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=60204

Everyone is welcome to participate, and I hope we can make this into a fun and interesting adventure.

Good luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk