MAGS September "Sometimes Evil Wins" (VOTING)

Started by Stupot, Fri 02/09/2022 05:39:51

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS September?

The Stinker by Slasher
2 (13.3%)
Siren by GOC Games
7 (46.7%)
Unfair by ZapZap
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Fri 21/10/2022 02:03:09

Stupot

Theme: Sometimes Evil Wins
Set by: Lapsking

The Stinker
by Slasher
Siren
by GOC Games
Unfair
by ZapZap

Never Tom can eat Jerry. Always cops put bad guys behind the bars at the end. Always good defeats evil. But only in stories. The reality is countless cats have killed countless mouses. The reality is Countless thieves, murderers and rapists could run away from justice. In fact through history most of the time Purple Tentacles rule the world and there isn't much Bernard and his friends can do. Real life is far from Hollywood. Sometimes evil wins.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.[/size]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Slasher

One idea I have:

In the quite town of "Sleepyville" an evil Corporation Boss sets out to create chaos for the Townsfolk of Sleepyville for the sheer fun of it....and at the same time make as much money as he can!

The Evil Boss sends his minions out to cause as much chaos as they can and make himself richer!

How much chaos can they cause and how much can the Evil Boss make?

A journey into how Evil gets rich  (laugh)

DBoyWheeler

So it's kinda like a MAGS version of "Quest for Infamy".  Kinda.

Well, good luck to the contestants.

heltenjon

I doubt I'll have time for participating this month, but here's an idea for free for those good with animation: You, the archvillain, have the hero captive. You need to build a death trap he won't escape from while you talk about your diabolical plans. Of course, the hero can escape from almost anything.  (laugh)

adanior

I am going to have way too many ideas for this one. Really grand ideas in scope too, but I need to do something simple.

lapsking

I really hope you turn your ideas into games, can't wait for some devilish fun!
the Thing is in the process, and mostly gone when it's done.

Stupot

Quote from: moraux on Mon 05/09/2022 09:18:44
I am going to have way too many ideas for this one. Really grand ideas in scope too, but I need to do something simple.
Scope creep is the evil that sometimes wins. But there are ways to beat it. Set yourself strict limits in terms of number of rooms, character, items, etc. You can always expand your world with your bigger ideas once the MAGS is over.

Good luck if you do decide to make something.

lapsking

QuoteScope creep is the evil that sometimes wins. But there are ways to beat it.

Whether the main character is evil or is fighting against evil, the whole point is that evil is successful at the end. I think Slasher got it.

ZapZap

I might try to make an AceAttorney-like game, I've been working on it this last 3 days.
Main art is 60% done (part of the main background I got from an past idea that never took off, if that's ok?) but unfortunatelly that's the easy part for a game like this.
I'm still writing the specific "puzzles" and most of the scripting.

It might end up looking like this:

I won't say anything about the story to avoid spoiling the fun
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

lapsking

Clever choice Zap. Here in my country lots of judges are corrupt, don't know about your judge.

ZapZap

Haha in my country we're mostly suspicious about the high ranking ones, those in charge of judging politicians... the others are supposedly fine.
In this game... you'll see (if I'm able to finish it).

BTW I'm looking for someone that might want to make the music and effects!
Please send me a DM (I might post in the Recruitment forum too if by the 16th I don't have anyone and the game is progressing well).

Stupot

@Zapzap (and everyone):

You may or may not already be aware of Eric Matyas’ gigantic trove of license-free music, which he updates with superhuman frequency. If you can’t find someone to help make some original music, be sure to check out his collection.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53138.0

adanior

So I've spent a week ostensibly planning my game, but not really. The only idea I've come up with is that the player character is an orc in a fantasy setting, which is an adventure game concept I played with in my head before - probably taking influence from Warcraft Adventures. Your character isn't evil, however.

The music resource might be helpful! Thanks Stupot!

lapsking

There is a great website for free sound effects too. www.pixabay.com loads of free sound effects.

adanior

That's also useful! Thanks lapsking.

Seeing ZapZap do this courtroom simulation thing gives more interesting ideas than the orc game I had in mind (which I still want to do, just probably not for MAGS). I kind of want to do something blatantly political. Is that allowed?

lapsking

Of course it can be political. That's the best place for Evil to nest.

adanior

So I finally have something...
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/YDAln4H.png[/imgzoom]
Wish I could screencap some dialogue. This is a very heated debate.
Oh, also.
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/A4OSUN2.png[/imgzoom]

EDIT: Maybe this is a bad idea. I don't know. Amazing how some sleep can change your mind.

ZapZap

Very nice looking moraux!
I'll take a look at those lapsking and Stupot, thanks!
I'm almost done with the first witness (I picture the game with just 2 or 3) but encountering scripting problems, I think I'll post sth in the begginers techQ.

adanior

Quote from: ZapZap on Sun 11/09/2022 20:34:07
Very nice looking moraux!
Thank you! I've got a lot done today (I'm based in the US in case it isn't obvious from the game's screenshot) and this seems like a manageable project given my free time for the month. But I'm worried about releasing this as my first game. It has some very heavy subject matter already in just the debate scene and there are some crazies in this country who will track down and hurt people who say bad things about their preferred politicians, even if indirectly like I am. I may go through and finish this game in the month just for the challenge of it, while keeping in the spirit of MAGS, but may not release it. I just don't want something so political immediately associated with my name.

For reference, my premise for this game is ripped from an American-made fascist propaganda film from the 1930s (that I admittedly haven't watched yet) and I'm about to read a rather depressing sounding book called "The Plot Against America", an alternate history political novel set in 1940, wherein the main scenario people have said, is very similar to what has been going on (and threatens to continue) in the US right now, politically.

I kind of just want to make a silly game about orcs and be immediately known for that. But I want to put time into it.

EDIT: Okay, The Plot Against America is actually a really good read. I don't know if it would be relevant to other people on this forum who are from all over the world, but this is a good book.

heltenjon

Looking and sounding good, guys! As for repercussions by posting something on these pages, the chances are that it will fly well below the radar of even most people on-site. I mean, we have a game here called **** in Trump's Bed. I would love to play a game such as the one you're making, at least. Sounds very interesting.

adanior

Eh. I'm also not sure about the tone of the game right now. I'm talking about deadly serious subject matter, but in a really irreverent writing style that I can't help but write in. I can't tell if this thing is dark satire, or a cautionary thing, or an incoherent mixture of both. I may be on the lookout for playtesters who could help me with and specifically suggest changes to the writing, but that would require me to get the game done in two weeks.

Slasher

Hi,

My game is going well, though I have also been developing my number 2 son's eCommerce website so I have been busy with that.

I have completed 2 of 4 chapters and I am on course, though I will need to work extra hard....

Finger's crossed  (laugh)

lapsking

I enjoyed your previous MAGS game Slasher, it was very calming but alas, always just as you find peace then comes the chaos. Looking forward to play it.

Slasher

Quote from: lapsking on Thu 15/09/2022 11:14:58
I enjoyed your previous MAGS game Slasher, it was very calming but alas, always just as you find peace then comes the chaos. Looking forward to play it.
Being evil does not come easy to me so I have given it a reason...

adanior

Glad to see you working on another MAGS entry Slasher. Your premise from earlier sounded interesting and your previous game was great.

I'm also relieved as I was a little worried that without my potentially controversial evil president game (that I've halted development on, because I just found the subject matter and research to be too depressing) there'd be no competition for ZapZap's courtroom game this month.

I might see if I can put out a completely different, (and necessarily tiny) game over the next week and a half. Thing is, I just don't have as many good ideas as I thought I would.

lapsking

Don't bring your games down moraux. Nobody knows what he/she is exactly making in the first game usually, at least I didn't have a clue. But despite how it will turn out it's a good start and good practice. Only on my second game I'm taking it a bit serious.

Slasher

I understand where moraux is coming from.

When something is controversial you get arguments from both sides...

ZapZap's courtroom drama could be a hit if the storyline is strong..The graphics look good..

And moraux's ideas seem fine in this time of much Political correctness... Again, it may seem very controversial but then life is controversial. The graphics look good.

My Game is based on a form of evil in the disguise of revenge...It is titled The Stinker.

Mandle

Love that title, Slasher. I'm chipping away little by little at a potential entry, but I doubt it will see the light of day. If it did it would probably burst into flames anyway.

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 15/09/2022 15:58:33
Love that title, Slasher. I'm chipping away little by little at a potential entry, but I doubt it will see the light of day. If it did it would probably burst into flames anyway.

You gave me the idea Mandle ;)

I would like to see a game from you Mandle, Great balls of fire  (laugh)

Slasher

Hi,

Well, I'v managed to add all the elements of Chapter 3... now I have to connect all the dots by adding Interactions and dialogs to make it complete....

Then on to Chapter 4....Hope I hold up  (laugh)

Mandle

Spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure out converting 1D array into 2D and putting that up on the screen in graphics. Getting close, but still not quite there.

Damn, AGS, this was supported pretty well on the C64. WTF?

Slasher

Hi,

Well, I'v started to add all the elements of Chapter 4...I should finish my game on time, if I don't get side tracked.

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 18/09/2022 15:32:03Spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure out converting 1D array into 2D and putting that up on the screen in graphics. Getting close, but still not quite there.

Damn, AGS, this was supported pretty well on the C64. WTF?

I know what you mean mate... There are times when things take a bit longer than first anticipated. Hope you figure out your problem soon.

The Stinker What appeared to be simple turns out to be more complex then expected. I hope to have Chapter 4's mechanics finished by Friday. Then I can start adding elements like objects etc... Meanwhile I shall truck on with baited breath...

I just wish we could have a Tree Node Zoom as well like the Page Scripts in the Editor...I need stronger glasses...

Good luck to everyone  (nod)

ZapZap

I've been heavily procrastinating for the last 5-6 days.
Still I'm gonna try and finish 'something' before the end of the month.
Hope you guys are doing better than me!

Slasher

Quote from: ZapZap on Thu 22/09/2022 17:48:38I've been heavily procrastinating for the last 5-6 days.
Still I'm gonna try and finish 'something' before the end of the month.
Yes, nose to the grindstone time with only about 9 days to go..

Meanwhile, The Stinker Chapter 4 has all the mechanics finished and I have been adding objects with puzzles etc etc...I should be on course to finish on time...

ddavey1983

I'm working on something. I've done enough now that there'll be something ready to go by the deadline. How much is another matter...

Slasher

Quote from: ddavey1983 on Sat 24/09/2022 19:58:48I'm working on something. I've done enough now that there'll be something ready to go by the deadline. How much is another matter...
Well, as long as it works OK it's good to go...

Meanwhile, The Stinker (4 Chapters) is basically finished. Now it's heartbreaking time of testing and tweaking... Please be gentle  (roll)

Hope everyone else is still in the race  (nod)

Slasher

The Stinker

4 Chapters of damage and chaos!

"It is said, that evil comes from within the heart of man himself."

"Albert Tinker is known in Sleepyville as 'The Stinker'. Townfolks played pranks on him and made his life a misery chanting 'Tinker Stinker! Tinker Stinker!" 

"Now that Albert is very rich and is a key member of SWAMP he wants to extract revenge on all of Sleepyville."

Revenge can sometimes be sweet...................

Countdown to release ;)

Slasher

The Stinker[
4 Chapters of chaos and destruction... Coming very soon.....

heltenjon

Is that the same guy with four different hair colours? Colour me intrigued.

Slasher

Quote from: heltenjon on Mon 26/09/2022 19:07:04Is that the same guy with four different hair colours? Colour me intrigued.
And different clothes  (laugh)

Slasher

Slasher announces

The Stinker

4 Chapters of damage and chaos!

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2632-the-stinker

If you have any problems downloading / playing or find an issue please don't let me be the last to know... Thank you....

Slasher

heltenjon

I finished playing The Stinker, and have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed causing wanton destruction. (laugh)
Possible bug:
Spoiler
On the construction site, I could break a window without the pebbles. After that, the chapter would not end, so I guess that window didn't count into the score.
[close]
Good one, Slasher!                                                                                                 

Slasher

I will look into it,, Cheers

From what I can see only Pebbles can be used to break the 6 windows.... Try that again please..

Windows=6....

You need to do damage to most things to end chapter..

ZapZap

I'm gonna simplify the ending so I can start wrapping it up... 
Anyway, an extension to work on it until Sunday would be appreciated  :cry:
I'll try your game over the weekend Slasher

Slasher

heltenjon I have found what you discovered....It was an interact window instead of use inv.. Now corrected, and all window Interact/lookat done (Mercer).. Well spotted mate...

Would previous players please replay new build, if need be?

ZipZat if an extension is OK with Stu it's OK with me....

ddavey1983

Siren
by GOC Games

It's nighttime in the City of Angels. Two cops approach end of watch on a busy night shift. Then there's one last call...

A short point and click adventure game made by GOC Games in one month for MAGS September 2022.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2633-siren/

OneDollar

Some interesting entries, looking forward to playing them.

I did come up with a (totally original, not at all copyright infringing) idea for this... on the 20th. Life's too busy to finish it for the deadline so I'm just going to work on it in my own time. Here's a little teaser screenshot until then:

heltenjon

Title suggestion for OneDollar:
Spoiler
Among Them.
[close]
:-D

Slasher

Really looking good guys......

Looking forward  (nod)

Stupot

Quote from: ZapZap on Wed 28/09/2022 21:19:06I'm gonna simplify the ending so I can start wrapping it up... 
Anyway, an extension to work on it until Sunday would be appreciated  :cry:
I'll try your game over the weekend Slasher

Sorry to reply late to this. A small extension would suit me too. I'll add three days. So that's the end of Monday.

Of course anyone who's already submitted is free to use that time to iron out some creases or add whole new features   (nod)

ZapZap

Lol just read that!
I've been working hard on it all afternoon and evening.
I've got a game without music, I would search for it and put more animations... but I'm exhausted.
I'm not very happy with the result (the puzzles were written too fast for this type of game and I don't have any experience), but here it is.

Unfair
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2635-unfair/

Slasher

ZapZap

heltenjon

Played courtroom drama to an end and enjoyed it immensely.  (nod)

Edit: Bug report:
Spoiler
The game crashes if you try to load a saved game before making your first save.
[close]
Possible gaffe:
Spoiler
The nurse is called "she" and "her" during the first testimony, yet turns out to be a man. There's nothing hinting at cross-dressing or anything, so it looks like a mistake.
[close]

Stupot

Sorry for the delay.

We have 3 wonderful entries to play and vote on.
Hopefully you've all been playing the games and thinking about which game to vote for. Now is your chance.
Please vote using the poll above.

The Stinker
by Slasher
Siren
by GOC Games
Unfair
by ZapZap

heltenjon

I've forgotten to give feedback here. Three good games!

The Stinker by Slasher:
Spoiler
As usual, very humorous game from this creator and compellingly funny characters. Basically, I got to do everything I would think was stupid in real life in terms of vandalism, and had a great time doing so.
[close]

Siren by GOC Games:
Spoiler
Creepy and effective use of darkness, which I normally don't like, but in this setting, it works fine. Two characters to play makes the game more grounded, yet it's clearly a horror game. Some puzzles are old classics and while good, they didn't appeal to me because I've done them before. But the puzzles outside the building work very well.
[close]

Unfair by ZapZap:
Spoiler
Well written story and well implemented limited interface suited for the game type. I enjoyed uncovering more of the story and trying to win the case.
[close]

I voted for
Spoiler
Unfair.
[close]

pell

When does voting end? I still have to play ddavey1983's game.

heltenjon

Quote from: pell on Mon 17/10/2022 12:14:27When does voting end? I still have to play ddavey1983's game.
Voting ends 21.October. You can find it in fine print on top of the page, on the voting banner.  (nod)

Shadow1000

My opinion:

The Stinker by Slasher:
Spoiler
Great adaptation of the theme and funny backstory.

Ok, I have to admit: I hate vandalism. When I see public property damaged or graffiti spray painted, I get pretty upset. At first, I could not bring myself to cause damage even in the game, but it didn't take long for me to learn how much fun it is to f--- up some park equipment!

Not challenging in terms of puzzles, but a LOT of fun and entertaining nevertheless. :)
[close]

Siren by GOC Games:
Spoiler
WOW! I was not expecting that. I loved the spooky feel to the game and playing two characters was awesome! Puzzles are a bit simple but adequate to make the game a really good experience. I hope this gets expanded one day to a longer story with more complex puzzles
[close]

Unfair by ZapZap:
Spoiler
Very creative game, requiring close attention to detail from the player. Intriguing story that unfolds really well as the game progresses. I have not had the time to complete it successfully but I definitely intend to once my schedule opens up!
[close]

I voted for
Spoiler
Siren. I had the best overall enjoyment and immersion playing it
[close]

OneDollar

The Stinker by Slasher:
Spoiler
It's fun to play the bad guy and cause mayhem, and I liked the idea of spreading the game out over four scenarios to give you four different locations to destroy. It might have been nice to allow swapping between characters mid-game so if you get stuck in one area (which I briefly did) you could switch to another character and come back later. Maybe also giving the player a bit of info about where each character's mission is so they know what they're picking on the selection screen (at the moment we're just going on names). There's some nice touches in the destruction, like making dents where the player actually clicks. Puzzles were a bit mixed for me, some were fun but others felt a bit obscure or went on too long (like having to check every hotel room in case someone was inside it). Overall I enjoyed the game, and I think it was a fun way to interpret the topic.
[close]
Siren by GOC Games:
Spoiler
Strong on both graphics and atmosphere - in my opinion this has the best presentation of the three. It's well paced and a good length. The inventory style puzzles were decent, though with the limited number of items and single-screen locations none of them were particularly challenging. There's also the key in the keyhole puzzle which people were complaining was overdone when Broken Sword 3 came out. Still, a very strong contender and I liked your spin on the topic.
[close]
Unfair by ZapZap:
Spoiler
Making an Ace Attorney game in AGS in a month doesn't sound easy, but this is surprisingly good attempt. The basics of consulting evidence, cross examining witnesses, spotting contradictions and even pointing out inconsistencies in pictures are all there. The interface works, but it's a little bit clunky and awkward. These kind of games live or die on unravelling the central mystery and I think this is handled well. I had a general guess as to what happened after getting the temporary autopsy report, but there's a steady drip of extra information and clues as you progress through the witness statements. My one major complaint is that early on you get the opportunity to press a witness on something. I hadn't exhausted the rest of the options so decided to pass for the moment. This closes the conversation topic with no way to go back and press on it, but without pressing you miss a piece of evidence that's vital to moving forward. I also saved after having done this and was soft-locked without realising it. Knowing the topic also works against this one, as I guessed how it would end from the start. Looking past these things though I think the core of the game is solid.
[close]
My vote:
Spoiler
I gave it to Unfair. It was the game I enjoyed most of the three, and it also had a lot of ambition and mostly delivered on it.
[close]

Stupot

The voting is over and the numbers have been crunched.

The winner of MAGS September is...

Siren by GOC Games.

Well done ddavey. I'll be in touch soon about choosing a topic for November.

Thanks to everyone who participated. 15 votes this month, which is a decent number.

heltenjon

Congratulations, GOC Games! Well deserved.  (nod)

ZapZap

Congrats ddavey1983/GOC! Great game.
I eagerly await your choice for next month's topic.
And thanks so much for the feedback guys, I didn't know you wouldn't have the option to press again, I lacked the time to have external beta-testing, sorry :~(

ddavey1983

Excellent news, thank you so much everyone! Really good contest this month, thought the other games were great. Now to think of a topic...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk