Underwater Adventures (chapter 1 complete)

Started by evilspacefart, Fri 30/05/2003 13:24:07

Previous topic - Next topic

After

I played the previous update and liked it.
I stopped though because I reached a stage at which I couldn't tell whether anything else was finished yet (and I can't be bothered with 'try everything just in case' scenarios).
But when there's a clear objective I'll be all over it again.

PureGhostGR

Great concept and game.. the characters are very funny and work well together.

I must point out that I couldn't believe my eyes about the character design. Every single one has a strong personality and is very well drawn. It takes talent to be able to make something like that so easily.

I loved the fish with the hangover in the bar.. brilliant drawing.

very well done.

sergiocornaga

Great... The characters all look really cool... you should use photo montage for some of the backgrounds...

Snake

Still looking forward to this one :)

Keep it up!

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

evilspacefart

Thanks, guys.

As always, it's the feedback that keep us going through the tough times.
Makes it feel fresh.  8)

Snake: when I saw that monkey wrench thread come back to life, I got back into the swing of things.

comments always welcome.

edit:
Missed deadline again. Few more days to correct buggies...

evilspacefart

OK, here it is.
The first chapter (about 1/3 of the game, complete with all puzzles and stuff) ready for consumption.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Please let me know questions, comments. Anything.

Vel

That's pretty good! Looking forward to the next chapters.

big brother

Great game! I really liked the music!

Here's a few suggestions:

- The verb coin should be bigger and underwater-themed. Maybe like a big clam or something. Right know it looks like the use icon is a *hand*!

- You did a pretty good job of giving all the hotspots interactions, but you missed a few, like the Sam's sign.

- On the map screen, you should just have to left-click on a location to go there, instead of bringing up the verb coin.

- Sometimes, you have to use an open doorway to enter a room. Other itmes you just have to walk to it. Whichever way you choose, it should be consistent throughout the game. Also, to enter your house, you must use the door to open it, then use it again to enter the room. Seems odd.

- When you barter for "tickets" you only get one ticket (hence "admit one"). When you trade this ticket, the recipient says something like "Oh, boy! Tickets!". But maybe I'm nitpicking.

Anyways, best AGS game I've played in a while.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Totoro

I like this a lot. It's a very unique concept and the comments made by jellyfish made me really laugh. I wish you good luck for the rest of the game  :D

evilspacefart

Thanks guys.  8) I'm happy you guys liked it.
Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

big bro:
I will try to fix those inconsistensies. (<-spelling?)
The coin being a clam (or something underwater theme) is a very good idea. I was also going to add in some anims to the chars that havent made it yet.
Left clicking on main map isntead of using coin is good idea too. I'll see what I can do.
I will add something for the Sam's sign - good catching that one.

Again thanks for your inputs and the good luck.
They are always welcome and it gives me an idea of how to make improvements. (to be seen next chapter)

edit:
a majority of the in game music is by trapezoid.

ps: if puzzles seem too easy I will try to make it with higher difficulty next chapters, but its hard to get you guys stuck.  ;)

Elianto_Guestmode

:D

Very nice work!!! The stile and the idea are really cool... keep up I'd like to play the whole thing soon!

found only a small bug/strangething
Spoiler
when you go to the doctor study you can call him even if the secretary says you cannot enter. As soon as you call him he walks(swims) near to you then the secretary stops you and the doctor doesn't walk back to the chair with the shark and starts the working animation near the door
[close]

ps: could you make the coin interface a bit bigger?!?

evilspacefart

Thanks for the bug catch!  ;D
Fixed it. Redownload.

Spoiler
the doctor now comes to you, but returns when the receptionist stops you. There is also some comedic (IMHO) dialogue between player, jelly and receptionist.
[close]

edit:
- Added the interaction for the Sam's sign.
- on Map screen, left click takes you to location, right click looks at description.

as for the interface, it may take longer to make bigger as it requires making some new graphics and redoing some gui stuff.

After

Ooh, good.
The dialogue and other extras was entertaining, and not excessive.

I thought the difficulty level was okay.
The fact that one can understand the problem and think about what is needed is far better than being totally stuck because the only clue is some item that you don't even know exists.
Don't make them harder, just make more of them  ;D

rtf

THis game is awesome.

It's superior to my fish game.
I fail at art.

Erwin_Br

The expressions on the faces of the characters are GREAT!

Haven't had time to play the demo, unfortunately. I hope I get the chance soon!

--Erwin

aussie

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

evilspacefart

thanks guys!  :)
yes, download and let me know. chapter 2 (the middle part of the game, because there arent really any chapters) is still in production.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk