Underwater Adventures (chapter 1 complete)

Started by evilspacefart, Fri 30/05/2003 13:24:07

Previous topic - Next topic

evilspacefart

Announcing Underwater Adventures

Hi agser's. This game has been in production for some time and now it's first chapter (about one third) of the game is complete.

You've been hired to find a missing plankton tycoon, but that's not all. Your quest leads you to discover a giant conspiracy that puts the ocean in danger.
256 color 640 x 400 graphics.

Edit:
Demo of first chapter complete.

Download HERE

Some of the graphics have been updated.
Here's some screens:

overworld map (more locations coming)

Mr. Jello -  evil pet jellyfish who helps you in situations too hard for you to reach.

This was my first background.

Friendly locals.

Exotic (yeah right) locations.

Play as different characters.

Modified verb-coin interface. thanks 2ma2 (?) for original code.

Big font by Synthetique. In game by Proskrito.

This game will get finished dam it! Sorry to people who don't like verb-coin interface.
Will use a different one next game.

Demo at downloads page or click HERE

http://www.geocities.com/evilspacefart/

Jimi

This reminds me of "Sharkey and George" and "Sponge Bob Square Pants". Not sure why.

Looks good through.

SLaMgRInDeR

well, the bilduing looks a little like the one sponge bob circle head, i mean trialngle bra, i mean square pants lives it, not that i watch it, no, honest i dont!
(   (   ( <( -_-)> )   )   )

evilspacefart

I was hoping to put the demo out this weekend. Looks like next weekend is more realistic since it's taking me a while longer than expected to get the neccessary art done. It will get done. I want to get at least one puzzle finished. (unless people don't mind a tiny 3 room demo <see scrnshots above> without an intro)

Gonzo

Just realised, it's a pretty clever move doing a game in this setting - don't have to bother with painstakingly creating walk animations, as the characters are fish!

The game looks a lot of fun, and I always enjoyed the Sharkey And George idea of talking animals under the sea. Also my favourite Disney character was Sebastian The Crab so in my mind this kind of game has a lot going for it.

Also the verb coin interface is super, simple but effective, and not too limiting in options. Good stuff.

And don't be disheartened by some of the graphics that you see in other AGS games, I think what you've come up with so far looks pretty good. As long as the game's art doesn't seem lazily put-together, and you can tell what stuff's meant to be, I think a game can be playable. Although I would probably fill out the private eye's office with more stuff, or make the room smaller, tighter together (black outlines around the edge of the house?) - there's lots of empty space in it. But anyway this isn't Critics' Lounge.

Looking forward to the demo.

Snake

Yeah, like Gonzo said, don't worry about your graphics, man. From what you've shown, I think it's great...it's a nice style that fits your game. This game sounds fun, the underwater part is what grabbed my attention. I looked at this thread before, just forgot to post in it ;)

Keep up the good work and I hope you finish this!

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

evilspacefart

As promised, a demo by the weekend. But a very preliminary demo. Only few locations, with some locations needing retouching. Characters are fairly complete.

http://www.geocities.com/evilspacefart/downloads.html

I will be updating a lot on weekends until finished.

music from Trapezoid and Synthetique's font.

Hopefully people will like it. :)

evilspacefart

Fixed a bug with the bouncer.
Fixed bouncer room - not so empty.
New fixed version uploaded.

evilspacefart

updated screens. see top.
progress: moving along fairly quickly. this will be a full length game I'm aiming to complete by end of July.
Thanks.

Mikko

I gave it a try and it looks great so far!

There's just one really big problem with changing rooms. For example I had to quit the game just because I couldn't get out of the "outside Sam's"-screen, even though I clicked everywhere. Well, maybe it's just me, but still for dumb players like me you should show more obviously from where you can leave the screen. Or then you just have set a little too small areas for leaving the screen.

I liked the enviroment and atmosphere in general. You seem to have the skills writing good dialogue, just be careful not to over-do them. I'm really looking forward to this game.

Filet O'Fish! Hilarious! :)

evilspacefart

thanks for checking it out. you found a bug i missed  ;)
newer, more working version uploaded. with new locations and fixed bugs.
Should I change/remove the snail's last comment?
the zip file will be updated often, but i will post only when major changes take place.  thanks.

m0ds

Looks like great fun! I'll play it asap. Can I have that in-game font too? ;) :P

m0ds

evilspacefart

thanks for checking it out m0ds.  :) I'll work hard so it won't disappoint.

btw... how's this look for a plankton tycoon?

AndersM

Reminds me somewhat of 'James Pond - underwater agent'...

aussie

Awesome!   ;D

I've loved it from the word go. I reckon the graphics are great too, I think simplicity and neatness are the key to good looking graphics, even if you don't consider yourself a great artist.

I have similar drawing style to yours (I don't know if you've had a look at Nick it & Run, but if you do you'll probably understand what I mean).

The music and fonts also help recreate that sort of wacky atmosphere of the best adventure games.

Boy, I'm looking forward to the end product...

P.S. Just a small thing with the game is that I personally don't like that Curse of MI-type interface, but that's just personal preference...  ;)
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Erwin_Br

Amazing characters!

I love the expressions on their faces, good work!

--Erwin

petaglair

your fish are all bald
strange....

Avec Nutricrotte° je voie là  differanse j'est même developper du mucsle

evilspacefart

actually, the player character has a mohawk haircut, but you cannot see it under the hat.  ;)

also the addition of the player's evil pet jellyfish will make for some interesting puzzles.

*new* also fixed the verb-coin to new smaller size.

thanks for the comments, guys. Progress is fairly steady, hope to complete by end of July.

It's July and not even 25% yet. More rooms and art than i expected. Still pushing...

evilspacefart

Sorry for the bump. Progress started again after recovering from some issues in personal life.

Here's the shameless plug.

As you can see some of the graphics have been updated.

I promised it would be done by end of July, what a liar I was to myself.

Well, working hard on some bgs and gfx to get at least a whole fulfilling puzzle done. Don't forget the game is using verb-coin (CMI) interface, otherwise it may seem like all the player can do is walk around.  :P

evilspacefart

*bump*

sorry for another bump. updated news on top of thread.
You can actually download it now, but not be able to finish chapter yet.

Here

~esf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk