AGS v2.55 Final now available for eating

Started by Pumaman, Fri 30/05/2003 18:10:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Well, it's been a while, but the time has finally come for 2.55's final release.

If no serious problems are found within the next few days I will update the website and make it official.

NOTE: The DOS engine is no longer included in the download. My DOS compiler has gone tits-up and I don't seem to be able to compile it any more.
Were any of you actually using it anyway? If so, I can look into getting the compiler working again and bring it back - otherwise I won't bother.

NOTE: Please no feature requests in replies to this post - bug reports and feedback only.

Changes since RC2 for you beta-ish people:
* Added DisableRegion, EnableRegion text script functions.
* Fixed anti-aliased fonts causing problems with dialog options.
* Fixed dumping game text where there was no blank line at the end of a dialog script.

Full changelog since v2.54:
* GUIs can now be named, and those names used in the text script, much the same way as it works with characters.
GUIs can also now be deleted, which is safe so long as you use their names rather than numbers to reference them in your scripts.
* Optimization to speed up screens with large objects, and to speed up rendering of characters.
* Added "regions" as a new room area mask type. These take over light levels from walkable areas, and also add 'Player Walks Onto' and 'Player Walks Off' interactions.
* Added support for New Game Templates, to enable the user to choose between a new game Sierra-style, Lucasarts-style, and so forth.
The default blank game also now includes a simple custom inventory window.
* Added DisableRegion, DisplayThought, EnableRegion, GetGameOption, GetGameParameter, GetRegionAt, IsInventoryInteractionAvailable, RunRegionInteraction, SetCharacterViewEx and ShakeScreenBackground text script functions.
* Added plugin API functions GetSpriteWidth, GetSpriteHeight, GetTextExtent, PrintDebugConsole, PlaySoundChannel, IsChannelPlaying
* Increased max objects per room from 10 to 15.
* Added "Quick Save" editor option, which saves your changes but doesn't compile the game files. This is useful when you just want to quickly save your work but not test the game.
* Added drag and drop support to sprite manager for moving sprites.
* Added game.text_align variable to allow you to centre text within message boxes.
* Added ability to use custom image as GUI Slider tracker.
* Added option for 256-colour animating backgrounds to share the main background's palette, to eliminate flicker effect on backgrounds with more subtle changes.
* Added basic CallTips to script editor.
* Mirrored view frames now work with objects.
* Editor now checks whether the starting room exists before saving the game, which should hopefully help newbies.
* Added "Conditional - If mouse cursor mode is" and "Conditional - If player has been to room" interaction commands.
* If you have no mod/xm music, the player is now not loaded and therefore you can use all 6 sound channels simultaneously.
* SetButtonPic now updates the button size to the size of the new graphic, when changing the Normal graphic.
* Editor now prompts you to rebuild the vox files if music or speech has been added to the game folder.
* Tiled sprite import now goes from left to right in rows, rather than top to bottom in columns - more logical this way.
* Allow FileOpen to open files in sub-directories if FILE_READ.
* Tinkered with avi playback code a bit to try and make it more stable.
* Fixed spurious engine crash "no such function in script" when nesting scripts inside interactions.
* Fixed walk-behind mask granularity not being updated if a background of a different resolution but same relative size was imported.
* Fixed editor crash sometimes when changing GUI background image.
* Fixed crash trying to load a game saved in a 320x240 room when the current room was a 320x200 room.
* Fixed crash when characters went off the top of the screen.
* Fixed crash passing empty string to Display/DisplaySpeech.
* Fixed SetGUIPosition giving error message at 800x600.
* Fixed SetMusicVolume not allowing volume less than Normal.
* Fixed character light levels to use region 0 settings if off-screen, to make the character be correctly lit as they walk from off-screen.
* Fixed black on some sprites turning to transparent when ignoring walk behinds.
* Fixed replay playback sync error with 640x400-res games.
* Fixed game crash if you had an unterminated GUI label macro.
* Fixed crash drawing small (eg. 4x4) sprites.
* Fixed editor crash dumping game text in long path names.
* Fixed crash in Win9x when trying to drag sprites in the sprite manager.
* Fixed crash entering a very long global message in the editor.
* Fixed music crossfading while playing FLC animation.
* Fixed anti-aliased 256-col sprites being black during fade-in.
* Fixed on_event(ADD_INVENTORY) not running if the player already had one of the item.
* Fixed Undo wiping entire script if selected when editor opens.
* Fixed dumping game text where there was no blank line at the end of a dialog script.
* Fixed anti-aliased fonts causing problems with dialog options.
* Renamed "Always on" and "Script only" GUI types to make more sense.

(NOTE: This is the second release to fix a bug with walk-behinds - if you downloaded the EXE version of the installer, please get this instead)
http://www.cj7.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ags_255.zip

Privateer Puddin'

Dont think we need the DOS engine any more really..

Those Region commands from RC2 are helpful cheers

larlar25

good job chris.

i only use the dos engine when a game is to slow in windows. so i dont mind it gone but i would still use it if it is developed.

Volcan

On slower computers, the DOS engine is faster than Windows.

Robin Gravel

Mennuz

holodude

A quick question: If I transfer my game in progress from 2.54 to 2.55, will everything still work the way it was in 2.54?  (I used walkable areas in 2.54, and I know there are regions in 2.55, so will this be a problem?)

scotch

best way to find out is to back your game up then convert it, if it doesn't work the same then go back to the old version.

deltamatrix

One thing I think you should know CJ! I thought you said you'd always release a MP3-less addition of every version. You haven't.......have you?

Personally I'd like to see Mp3s eliminated anyway coz they are crap!!!!!!

Oh f**k!!! Was that a suggestion?

I do not intend this as a request.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Scavenger

Awww, I liked the DOS compiler! I think that taking out the DOS version will be a great blow to the Adventure Game Community. I don't know if I'm alone, but I hate windows, and won't get Linux :P. I like using DOS for games, for gods sake! o_O I'm just sad, aren't I?

But, hey. We can just let AGS fall into the ruthless hands of the Microsoft Monopolism of Windows. I support DOS to the end! And you can never stop me!

*hugs copy of DOS 6.0* Miiiiine...

a-v-o

Quote from: AJA on Fri 30/05/2003 18:34:24Now where is that a-v-o guy... He's supposed to update the delphi plugin tutorial...
One word (uhmmm... email) and here I am. The plugin tutorial is now upated to
zip-version 109
doc-version 13
editor 1
engine 11

Vel

I don't think that the DOS engine should be a major concern. If you have time, make it. Otherwise, implement more features(Or in other words, live your life)!

Timosity

Quote from: Malevolent Dragon on Sun 01/06/2003 10:30:11
But, hey. We can just let AGS fall into the ruthless hands of the Microsoft Monopolism of Windows. I support DOS to the end! And you can never stop me!

MS-DOS stands for Microsoft Disc Operating System.

So just out of interest supporting DOS is still supporting Microsoft.

personally I never compile my games for dos, and I usually run the dos games in windows anyway, but I guess the newer operating systems don't support dos.

I don't have a problem with keeping the dos option, but I don't really see the point.

For die hard fans of dos, they could just use an older version of ags

Barcik

Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Mats Berglinn

I have tried to start a new game but the program crashes with this message: read_gui: file is corrupt.

How do you fix this?

Pumaman

Sounds like either the template you are using is corrupt, or you are running an old editor version somehow.

Try downloading AGS again, and start a new game from there.

Also just check your disk isn't full.

Mats Berglinn

I did install it in a new folder so now it worked. The mistake I did was open them directly and extracted over the old files. Now it works. Thanks CJ. And also Jimi even if didn't adviced me here but in a MSN chat.  ;)

Gilbert

Quote from: CJ on Fri 30/05/2003 18:10:33
NOTE: The DOS engine is no longer included in the download. My DOS compiler has gone tits-up and I don't seem to be able to compile it any more.
Were any of you actually using it anyway? If so, I can look into getting the compiler working again and bring it back - otherwise I won't bother.

Yes... :(

As I'll only test my games thoroughly with the DOS engine, I only want them to be guaranteed to be perfect with DOS, and I don't really care about the windows one.
I think I'll need to stick to V2.54 from now on, no problem though, as I think everything I need are in V2.54 already.

Jimi

Where did the "custom" inventory GUI go?

Privateer Puddin'

Jimi: redownload, this is the final fixed one, i noticed it too :)

TerranRich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk