MAGS - JUNE

Started by magintz, Sun 01/06/2003 11:46:55

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

With many congratulations to Mikko, the winner of last month's competition, it was a very enjoyable and comical game. If you havn't played it yet check out the Completed Games Forum.

Well i'm hoping this month will get more people. This month's prize is probably going to be better than any other as you will get to choose July's rules, which is when Mittens is being held; so if you want you could choose rules for a themed MAGS like last year with the spooky Granny Zombiekiller's Murder Mystery!

The rules for June though are going to be simple, as it's getting warm as we enter the summer months.

Along with sun, summer also brings spectacular films, like the much awaited Matrix 2, and many more. The idea of this month's MAGS competition is to turn a film of your choice into an adventure game, as most the films nowadays are turned into action, or shoot/beat - em-ups.

After discussing these rules with Jannar we were struck by the problem of copyright infringement, this made us sit down and think in out virtual chair of thought. Last month we tried the parody idea which did not have such a good turn-out, but we feel that if a parody could be made around your favourite film, this should avoid copyright infringement.

Some ideas to help you think:
- The slightly mauve mile - a prison story with Ron Banks
- The see-saw redembtion - A one man struggle to break free from the see-saw
- The Perm-anator - Astalavista hairdo!

If you do not wish to do a parody perhaps you could:
- Have a quest that the movie didn't show.
- Show what happened after the movie ended.

As they are only going to be short one month games maybe it won't be an issue, but make sure you include full original credits to the film creators.

There are no restrictions on how long the game is, or anything you must include.

If you are persuaded not to enter by your graphical talents - we don't care, what you lack in artistic ability make up in plot and storyline. If you cant make any story line or puzzles - draw some fancy backgrounds.
If you can't draw or make up a plot then enter anyway for our enjoyment, if you joined AGS to make a game, MAGS is a brilliant way to start. WE ARE ADVENTURE GAME FANS NOT CRITICS!

And remember the number one rule for MAGS - ENJOY YOURSELF!

There are no restrictions in length, puzzles, items etc... just have fun and enjoy the summer!
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Hmm... if we have the film on dvd, would we be allowed to rip backgrounds? And what about the music? I could live without the backgrounds but being allowed to use the exact music (with appropriate credits, of course) would help a lot. Of course, I could use midis... but I couldn't guarantee that I could find ones for the film I have in mind.

juncmodule

Hmmm...not sure what I will do...but, I think I will give it a try this month. I've never done the whole MAGS thing...

later,
-junc

magintz

Archangel - Yes you can rip backrounds and midis but must state original source somewhere if you want to avoid copyright.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Evil

MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
* Evil gets started

juncmodule

How do we go about doing this? I've never done one before. Are there any rules for submission or anything. Do I just start a "Game in Production" Thread(once I have a few rooms)? Or is it just free-form-what-the-hell-ever? Do I need to announce what I've decided to do?

eh,
-junc

wOoDz

count me in!! entry "Barry Snotter And The Meaning Of Life" about 6 rooms, characters and artwork by me and my offspring! my first attempt at 2D so it should be interesting lol

woodz
edit:
ok i lied its 8 rooms plus a intro and two  screen animations :-\

Pumaman

Quote from: juncmodule on Sun 01/06/2003 20:26:06
How do we go about doing this? I've never done one before. Are there any rules for submission or anything. Do I just start a "Game in Production" Thread(once I have a few rooms)? Or is it just free-form-what-the-hell-ever? Do I need to announce what I've decided to do?

All you have to do is post a reply in this thread saying that you're going to make a game, then just go and do it. People don't usually bother with Games in Production threads for MAGS games.

juncmodule

Okay, that works.

My MAGS Game:

Cast Away: Wilson is Satan

Staring:
Satan Wilson!

later,
-junc

GorgonJim

does it have to be your fave movie? can it be a parody of a parody? im thinking baseketballketball, or somnething along those lines

aussie

Sounds good...

I think I'll have an entry for this one...
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Mennuz

Hm, I like this one :). Let's make a Jenna Jameson game ;) :D

magintz

GorgonJim - If thats what you want to do

I've decided to do a MAGS game myself, but i'm not going to enter, I think these rules sound fun, and will make me keep up with my scripting cause Tier doesn't want to do my backgrounds for Zero Hero, so i cannot do a thing till he does them, but he is too lazy.

Grundislav

I will definitely be entering this month's competition.  I very much like the rules.  ;D

Privateer Puddin'

i would but im taking my gcses and then on holiday on 19th

Pet Terry

I'm gonna enter, atleast I have started my game :) I hope I finish it before the end of the month.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

magintz

Looks like some stiff competition thsi month

Custard - GCSE's PAH!!!!

Mr Jake

I wanna enter... but Im too busy, maybe next month or during summer hols :)

Pet Terry

Okay, incase someone is interested I got my game's plot finished, also intro is running well. Game will feature:
- really wierd plot
- lo-res graphics
- animations!
- midi soundtrack
- cool use of plugins ;)
- funny characters ::)
- puzzles

I hope...
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

aussie

I've also started. My game is a bit of a mixture between Casablanca, Going Down and Groundhog Day. I'm not planning to make it very long so I can meet the deadline...
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk