New at game development

Started by technoX, Tue 03/06/2003 11:39:39

Previous topic - Next topic

technoX

???Hi, I am interested in game development but I don't know where to start. Could you give me some suggestions like whith laguage is best to program, which design package is best to use and any other useful tips. Also if I want to create an animation for a game witch program is the better solution?

hotshot, lazy

If you mean progames check out www.codemasters.com and check out jobs, it tells you where to start in pro developing

technoX

I am not interested at professional game development. What I want is to get information about what I need to do or learn to create my own game(as a hobby)

Scummbuddy

Learning C is a great way to become familiar with our code system with AGS.

http://ags.slaveinostudios.com/create.html
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

ThunderStorm

Eek! You aren't serious on that one, are you, ScummyB? C (C++, C#) is probably the most advanced programming language available, and the one that is most difficult to learn too. The AGS script language contains some C-like elements, but learning C for coding in AGS is far over the top.

If you want to have even more possibilities than authoring systems like AGS provide, learning a programming language might make sense, but I still think C is not the right choice if you're just starting.

Mr Jake

AGS is a very good start because it is simple C pretty much (from what Ive heard) and you get the added bonus of this great community to help you :)

juncmodule

I would recommend AGS as a starting place. If you can't make a simple game in AGS with the Interaction Editor then you can't make a game IMHO. So, start there. Draw backgrounds, or use Sylpher's Instagame.

Using the Interaction Editor is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Check out CJ's superb tutorial on the main AGS page. The Interaction Editor will also introduce you to concepts like Global Integers and some of the more basic concepts of programming. You will possibly quickly find yourself limited by the Interaction Editor and probably start wanting to write scripts yourself. Always start small and you will learn quick.

Once you have mastered AGS, then I would recommend C++, most development companies and independant developers are using C++ with additional libraries, that's how AGS was written. Finally, I would recommend becoming familiar with Assembly. The concepts in Assembly will help you understand just exactly how the processor, memory, and user interact.

Good luck!
-junc

Andail

Read the "read before posting" before posting...you'll see what to post and what not to post

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk