Monkey Island 2 (remake?) screenshots

Started by Nightfable, Fri 06/06/2003 00:54:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightfable

I have to say that I'm really awful at game scripting and programming, I'm working on a short MI2 demo to in the hope that I will get a little better at it. Haven't even worked out the cursor and GUI yet, it's like raw chinese to me, lol!

Here's a few before/after screenshots of the first room:

This is the original MI2 screenshot I captured, it's a little stretched but I needed it to be this size for my game resolution.

And this is the retouched version. I tried to smooth it out a little and I redrew Guybrush just the way I think he should look! Any comments, please let me know!

BOYD1981

:o that looks pretty damn spectacular

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

TheYak

I love it!  Excellent cleaning up and detailing the image.  Very nice.  Guybrush looks quite a bit like I think he ought to.  Maybe he should be a tad goofier, but then again, in MI2, his nerdiness wasn't really in his apparel.

As far as the image, all I can thing of that's even slightly criticizing it is that it bears the slight blurriness of the resizing process in areas.  It could be slightly more crisp, but it's all a matter of opinion, I suppose.

The only thing I'd change about him would be seeing if I could fit in enough detail to make his blazer look too large on him.. like it was handed down from a sizeable pirate.  Other than that little thing (which is just personal preference), very very nice.  

Ginny

:o :o :o :o :o

Wow that's beautiful! I esspeccially like the "water"", the rock, and the wooden thingy on the far left. It all looks so smooth! :)

Guybrush looks great aswell, though he does need a little more sillyness. :)

I would love to see how it all turns out. Up till what part are you planning to use MI2 as a traning camp, lol?
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Nightfable

Thanks for the good feedback, I'll make Guybrush's blue coat a little longer, but how could I make him look more silly? Should I make him smile? :)

Bob The Hun

Just make Guybrush's coat a little longer, and nothing more.
He doesn't look silly in the original picture, so no need for him to look silly in a remake.

Nacho

There are some Hi definition screens of MI2 at scummbar.com (If the page works again), you could use them.

I love your work, make me be the first to know when you finish the game.

;D
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Proskrito

WOW!! Did you make that with any spcial technique, or just pixel-pushing??
BTW, in monkey island 2 there was a guybrush closeup, just if you want for reference:

Synthetique

looks like a 2x filter to me..
but nice anyway..

BOYD1981

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Hobbes

This looks stunning! Can't wait to see this thing animated and all that... keep it up!!

Scummbuddy

Yes, could you please fill us in as to the technique you used to create these?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

what can i say. I'M STUNNED! you should definately make a remake.
(making one of monkey island 1 would be cool to, but if you have to much work to be done, i won't push you).

PS: you should make his hair a littlebit more messy, but not to much.
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Vel

I think that someone should remake Indy 3 first. It was a very original game, but because of the crappy interface it didn't receive as good grades as FOA.

Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Nightfable

I drew Guybrush, inked him, scanned him and finally edited him in Photoshop (used the smudge tool for the background - nothing fancy). It's really hard to actually get a good result with a paper scribble, I will not continue with the Monkey Island remake so anyone that wants to use my smudged background and Guybrush is welcome!

============================================================

Here's a tiny tutorial on what exactly I did to smudge the way I did.

To start off, I'm using Photoshop 5.0, any versions is okay because we're only using the smudge tool.

I picked brush size 9 because it's small enough to keep your details intact and big enough to get rid of those nasty pixels.

Make sure to brush along the lines and shape of your background or else it might end up like this...

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

m0ds

Majorly impressed! It works very well and the updated style is brilliant. Thats a talent! Nice art.

How is the demo going?

Privateer Puddin'

the last post was 6 months ago ffs! :P

MrColossal

Quote from: Coffee Lady on Wed 18/06/2003 03:09:31
I will not continue with the Monkey Island remake so anyone that wants to use my smudged background and Guybrush is welcome!

LEARN TWO READDS!!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

LGM

m0ds must be REALLY bored.. Or stupid
You. Me. Denny's.

Andail

Nice digging, Mods...too bad she said the project is abbandoned half a year ago :p

To stimulate currently running projects, I'll lock this to make the first page of this forum less crowded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk