Character walks by a mirror (solved)

Started by Timosity, Wed 02/07/2003 09:52:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Timosity

OK, I have a large mirror on one screen the player passes, and i need to have him reflected.

I have created another character with flipped forward and backward views so he has a mirrored effect.

I've started with this simple test script just to so what happens.

character LAZ being the player character

// script for room: Repeatedly execute
if (character[LAZ].x<68){ // character not infront of mirror
character[LMI].x=300;
character[LMI].y=120;  // character hidden behind walkbehind area
}
else{
character[LMI].x=character[LAZ].x;
character[LMI].y=character[LAZ].y-20;  
}

What happens is the character LMI stays 20 pixels in front, but the character doesn't walk, it just stands in the same position and drags along.

how do I get him to walk, as these lines

character[LMI].y=character[LAZ].y-20;   //temp y position till i figure out NPC walking

just place the character in the right places.(it's like he's just gliding or being dragged [he is also on a walkable area])

also I've been trying to figure out (with no luck) how set the right Y position.

eg. when the character walks towards the mirror I need the Y value to Move closer to zero and when I walk away I need the Y value to Move further negative, [so he looks like he's walking toward or away from the mirror] the X value is easy as it is just the same as the player character.

I know it can be done, I'll just keep experimenting, but I'll appreciate any help, Thanks

SSH

Firstly, its funny how something quite advanced like this ends up in the Beginners Tech forum, and lots of beginners post RTFM questions in the Tech forum...!

You will probably need a scaling factor in the equation for y. Here scale is that factor (experiment!) and mirrorbase is the bottom of the mirror's y co-ord.

laz_dist_from_mirror=character[LAZ].y-mirrorbase;
lmi_dist_from_mirror=laz_dist_from_mirror/scale;
character[LMI].y=mirrorbase-lmi_dist_from_mirror;

Also, for animation you could try:

if (character[LAZ].loop != last_laz_loop) {
 AnimateCharacter(LMI, character[LAZ].loop, speed_of_laz_anim, 1);
}
last_laz_loop = character[LAZ].loop ;

It would be handy if one could just write
character[LMI].loop=character[LAZ].loop;
character[LMI].frame=character[LAZ].frame;

but loop and frame are RO, apparently

Hope it helps!

Timosity

Thanks SuperSH, that's given me some ideas on the situation, I'll let you know how it goes, meanwhile I must sleep, then go to work.

I usually post stuff in the beginners cause I always think (or hope) that what I'm trying to do has a simple solution that I have just missed somewhere.

Couple of weeks ago, I thought it would be simple to animate a gui button, boy was I wrong.

Scorpiorus

Quotecharacter[LMI].loop=character[LAZ].loop;
hehe, you can actually. This is how I usually do in the similar situations. Yes, it's read-only but it's because to prevent mess while he is animating(walking) but when the char stands that's ok. (the same stuff as for character[].x, character[].y vars). You shouldn't do it normally.. but in particular ways (like that) it's is a good workaround I think.

-Cheers

Timosity

Thanks SSH, worked perfectly,

int mirrorbase=132;
int laz_dist_from_mirror;
int lmi_dist_from_mirror;
int scale=3;

// script for room: Repeatedly execute

laz_dist_from_mirror=character[LAZ].y-mirrorbase;
lmi_dist_from_mirror=laz_dist_from_mirror/scale;
character[LMI].y=mirrorbase-lmi_dist_from_mirror;

character[LMI].loop=character[LAZ].loop;

Also Scorpiorus is right, that loop, frame thing works exactly how I wanted it, thanks to both of you for replying.

All I had to do was change LMI views so that forward was backward and vice-versa, also for the side view, I had to have it so eg. when the left foot was forward on LAZ, the right foot had to be forward on LMI,

I could swear there was actually a fully functional mirror in every aspect on the screen, Thanks again guys

very much appreciated

~Tim

SSH

Quote from: Tìmosíty link=board=6;threadid=7022;
start=0#msg85993 date=1057240695

I could swear there was actually a fully functional mirror in every aspect on the screen
It reflected your face as well? Did you link it with your webcam or something?  ;)

Timosity

hehe,

No, I just glued some small mirror pieces to the screen, works like a charm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk