First game in production - "Distance"

Started by sheffx0r, Sat 12/07/2003 05:23:29

Previous topic - Next topic

sheffx0r

I just started getting into AGS a week or two ago, and decided to start working on a new game of my own.

The game is titled "Distance", and it's going to be a "psychological journey" of sorts. The game begins inside a dream of the main character, and jumps back and forth between dreams and reality, eventually leading to the point where the main character can no longer distinguish between dream and reality.

I'm planning to release each game as episodes, probably an hour in length each. Each game will be much more story and character oriented than puzzle oriented, making it more of an interactive movie than a true adventure game, I suppose.

As can be seen from the screenshots, I cannot draw, but I'm hoping it doesn't distract *too* much from a credible story. Backgrounds are done using images taken from random places on the internet and photoshopped.

http://www.kthxgoal.com/distance/

Hoping to learn more and make a decent game in the process. :)

Meowster

Bollocks. Um, you all saw I posted first, right? :D Kidding.

When do you plan to release it and, welcome to AGS forums! :D

I actually like the idea of using watercolour/pencil sketch type backgrounds for this game. I think it's quite good for setting the mood. There was some movie with Gregory Peck in it, they got an Abstract... Dali? To design the dream sequences. As the character descends into madness you could have the paintings get more and more abstract :)

I'll look forward to playing this, it seems refreshing and new :)
EDIT:
My own game is based inside a dream but the concept is actually completely different otherwise, phew! This sounds awesome.

sheffx0r

Hehe...

I put in weeks and months into each individual frame for my characters. It is the greatest artwork to ever grace a computer monitor.

But...as for release date...maybe a few months for the first episode? I'm still learning the ins and outs of AGS, so I don't want to release anything until I've gotten the hang of most of its features.

Meowster

I edited my above post like five times before I worked out what was going on. Might wanna re read it :D

EDIT: Crap, by the time I've edited this one you'll have made another post and we'll be stuck in an Eternal Paradox! :( :( :(

Okay, I thought you drew the bgs, LMAO, sorry :P

sheffx0r

Hahhaa...yeah, I refreshed a few times and saw like 4 different versions of the same post. By the time this is posted, I expect the topic to be completely different. :)

But anyways, thanks for the feedback. Where is the info about your game?

Meowster

Yeah, the first post you saw would have been ,"Bollocks".  ;D

"Beyond Reality", in this forum. But it's not really the same, just focused around dreams.

I had this REALLY weird dream about Bill Gates. ???

Minimi

nice work, I love your house drawing on picture 1! Maybee you can edit the characters so it will fit the atmosphere! GL with your first game. I am myself also busy on my first game ;)

Meowster

Don't worry 'bout the characters... LOL you could make it a RON game and use RON characters....

RON = Reality On the Norm... it's sort of like... ANYBODY here can make a RON game, and you download the graphics and character sprites and music and make a game out of it... the RON games are brilliant :)

So if you called your game RON - Distance, you get all the free sprites! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!

....I am soo, soooo sorry you had to hear that. Medication... I need my pills...

*walks off mumbling.*

sheffx0r

The house wasn't drawn by me. :)

It's concept art taken from the cartoon, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force". Since I am no artist by any means, I'm just taking backgrounds as I see fit and using photoshop to adjust them to the mood of the game. I figure it'll look infinitely better this way than if I tried to draw something myself.

Minimi

that is sooo loser!! sorry, but I know also that I can't draw with 256... only 3D rendering... but I refuse to steal... It's my work.. and if my work looks bad, then I am bad.. but I did my best... and try to make something more beatifull next time.

GarageGothic

Quote from: Yufster on Sat 12/07/2003 05:39:44
There was some movie with Gregory Peck in it, they got an Abstract... Dali? To design the dream sequences.

That's Alfred Hitchcock's "Spellbound" (1945), and yes, it was Salvador Dali who designed the dream sequence.

misterx

love the idea, I am also trying to make my first game,

little warning about taking other peoples artwork, make sure you have their consent <sp?> and give them some credit at the end :)

keep up the good work, let me know when its done, I wouldf love to play test it for you  ;D

sheffx0r

Yeah, credit will of course be given. Most images, however, are photographic images. ie: the kitchen of the house is taken from a photo off a real estate site, photoshopped to look "cartoony", and then added to the game. It gives it quite a surreal look.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk