Beyond Reality - Newer, more AWESOME update on Main Page

Started by Meowster, Sun 06/07/2003 02:13:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Vel

Good work, Yufster! Can't wait to play your game!

Meowster

Points taken.. although the problem with the hotspots was something I had actually taken into account but like WVG said, the deadline sort of sucked it. Also, the puzzle was easy because I had to change it a little... otherwise it would have spanned over the other World Map areas, and they're not ready yet, y'see. For instance, the moth wasn't supposed to be THERE.

I'm relieved the humour isn't that bad. It looks awful to me.

And as for it being short... well, you all heard the problems I had trying to get even that much script working. If I'd have made it longer, I might have exploded.

Thanks everybody :) I can safely say I'm a little bit relieved.

GarageGothic

First of all, I'm still looking forward to Beyond Reality. But I must admit that I think you should have waited with the demo. It didn't make a very good impression on me. As others have said, the lack of hotspots is a problem, and there are SO many bugs (one not mentioned yet is that looking at the shoes triggers the same response as when using you-know-what with them).

But that said, the dialog was funny, the puzzles were ok (I won't comment too much on it since you said you've changed it for the demo, but I love competitions where you sabotage your opponents equipment - it reminded me of the diving contest in EMI) and the graphics were really nice. Very Lucas Art'ish (the entrance to the tent reminded me very much of the entrance to the circus in MI - or am I thinking of one of the tents in Loom? Not sure.) I loved the scene with the nightmare creatures. Especially when he answers the question about his robe, that made me laugh out loud. Except I think it went on a bit too far after you'd made your point. But maybe that's on purpose - part of the bad guy's personality? Nevertheless it really made me cringe when you had him actually say "beyond reality", but maybe that's you me. I can't stand it when a title is spoken as a phrase in a movie or a game.

Plotwise, I think it would be more interesting if the bad guys weren't JUST evil, but actually had some other motivation than wanting to rule the dreamworld. Remember in The Nightmare Before Christmas how the monsters of Halloween Land are actually TRYING to be good, but just don't understand the concept of Christmas, and end up scaring people instead?

Oh yes, I wondered why you didn't use the intro screen when it's actually in the demo (use debug mode at teleport to room 0)?

Meowster

All comments appreciated muchly :)

There are a lot of bugs.

As for him going on... yeah I thought the BR bit was a bit too much, especially as it doesn't even actually make any SENSE. But, the reason he went on for SO long is, so the music was in time with the conversation. See, I made the music first. I'll shorten the music for the final game, and then use the original transcript.

Also your point about the plot... I did intend for them to have a motive. It's not clearly explained in the demo at all. Here it is:

The nightmare creatures are creations of nightmares, basically the Toxic Waste of the mind. The rest of the dream world partition off these poor creatures, who were born from bad things and don't understand the difference between good and bad. They're banned from leaving the Toxic Dump, the gloomiest, murkiest part of the Dream World.

Mort wants to liberate the people of the Toxic Dump, and in doing so he plans to gain access to the Real World. Except to the Dream World, they think the REAL world is a dream.  This will be explained later in the game as a type of weapon which he plans to use to liberate his people.

However, his people don't trust him, and I won't say whether there's a reason for this or not.

So Mort seemingly only wants to free the Toxic Dump, and while he may have other agendas, he also doesn't realize that it will contaminate the rest of the Dream World.

See, there's a little bit of reasoning in there.

I didn't use the intro screen because it sucked.

GarageGothic

Hey Yufster,

I'm glad there's more to the plot. Evil never worked all that well as motivation for anyone but purple tentacle, did it :) ? As you describe it, the story sounds really interesting. I hope that we'll somehow be able to free the nightmare creatures without contaminating the dream world. Seeing them banned to the Toxic Dump for eternity wouldn't be a very happy ending.

Good luck with the project!

P.S. I actually liked the intro screen :)

Pet Terry

And here I am, still trying to find out where to download that demo ::)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Snake

:P

On the first post, Pete!!

When you go to her site, it's on the Beyond Reality page...

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Meowster

Actually, due to a bizarre turn of events, it's not. I'll fix that later. And explain later. It's really bizarre.

Pesty

I enjoyed it. I mean, it was buggy, but it was just a demo to get the feel of the game so I didn't really expect some sort of amazingly functioning thingy. From what I played of it (I stopped when I realized I couldn't pick things up. Gwah.), I like the way it's going. The style is very nice, and I liked the humor. I'm now looking forward to this game even more.

"I am rich, with pillow cases" was one of the funniest things I've read all day.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Trapezoid

Where's the demo? Your website is perplexing.

Meowster

How dare thee refer to it as WEBSITE, you scoundrel!

www.geocities.com/parasitegames/demo.zip <---

Pet Terry

Cool Snake, you called me Pete :P

And thanks Yufsteh, I'll try it and give comments later.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Monk

at first i thought that this is a RON series game.. but after i take alook! THIS IS INCREDIBLE! im lookin forward to download it!

Meowster

Oh yes, well I did blatantly rip the idea off one of the various RON projects in fact, and killed the guy that was making it so nobody would ever know. Then I stole the graphics and music and altered it a tiny bit so nobody would notice it was really the LECHUCK theme. And then I gave it a different name. And right now, you know where the Christmas elves are?! They're in my basement!!! Ha ha ha!

evilspacefart

nice environment Yuf.  :o
the Pick up button doesn't work for me but everything else works.  ???

Pet Terry

Yeah, cool demo. I loved the whole sackrun thingy or whatever it is, and graphics are cool, aswell as music. Rock on :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Meowster

Okay now it has to be finished in four weeks, because of certain MINI COMPANIES in school... so...

We have to run Mini Companies in school, and since most people are making beaded bracelets, I figured I'd make a game. Seeing as I can. This also means I get to spend loads of school class time making it. So in about four weeks it'll be done. On the other hand, since I planned to sell it (Students will buy it merely because they've never seen it done before... SUCKERS) that means you don't get it for about three months. Free, obviously. I'm only selling it for mini-company in school.

But production time has TRIPLED! At least, it WILL have done, on Monday!!!

Vel

I get a free version for reviewing, right?

Meowster

Oh see, everybody HERE gets a free version. It's just my sucker school friends that don't. I'd even give THEM free copies, except we are MADE do mini company, and I don't plan to sit down and painstakingly bead necklaces all weekend.

SSH

If you're going to be selling it, maybe we can give you lots of review quotes to stick on your game boxes...

"This is the best adventure game to come out of Ireland since Tim Schafer's 'Death to Westlife' "

etc. etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk