<edit> The Prisoner Backgrounds (w Character added)

Started by Quintaros, Sun 06/07/2003 07:14:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Quintaros

This is my first attempt at a background.  I think its completely lacking of finesse when it comes to shading.  Could I get some criticism for how it could be improved? Thanks

Femme Stab Mode >:D

That looks nice! As you said yourself it could be shaded otherwise it's great!
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

SLaMgRInDeR

i agree, looks great!
(   (   ( <( -_-)> )   )   )

Neole

I think it looks lovely! There could be a lighter grass surrounding thing around the castle, like a lawn or some fence.

Quintaros

Thanks for the encouragement, fellas.  Here is an updated version.

Jimi

:o Woweee...thats great. Is that a tree coming out of the front of the castle?

Flippy_D

It's ivy, f00'.

Yeah, looks nice. Got a watercolour feel to it. You might want to polish off the trees on the right a bit, you can see little bits of light there at the moment.

Quintaros

How about this one?

Flippy_D

Now that's just awesome. Very nice indeed.
Your style is very art deco, no? the only thing that could use some adjustment is the alignment of the windows in comparison to the roof. Other than that, great!

Quintaros

It's not supposed to be art deco...or at least that is to say I don't know what art deco really is.  If you mean the architecture, its because their done over photographs of Portmeiron which certainly has a unique style.

I see what you mean about the windows on the cafe in the background.  There is supposed to be an extension coming out so the windows are on a different face but its not clear in the image.  I'll have to fix that.

Meowster

Gorgeous, really gorgeous, styled and unique. I would have only one critisism of the top screenshot, and that is the road looks as though it's dropped off the edge of the world or something. Maybe it's meant to be a hill in which case a bit of shading wouldn't go amiss.

Your art reminds me of Delphine Software. Wow, Delphine Software. They were yonks and yonks ago.

I really love those screens :)

deltamatrix

You seem to have a head start in developing your skills.

1st Background: I don't like the round blobs on shade on the grass. Try making it more of s gradient

2nd: I like this one. Feels like an old lucasarts pic.
You might wanna try anti-aliasing the sand against the sea. Thats what I'd do. But where would EGO walk on this screen?
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Quintaros

I feel the same way about the circular blotches.  I've experimented a little more since then and found better ways to achieve the shading I was going for.

On the 2nd pic, Ego can walk up to the edge of the retaining wall and go into the boat.

Quintaros

And another.

I think I'm starting to get a feel for this.  I'll go back and fix my first one now.

I think I'm starting to get a feel for this.  I'll go back and fix my first one now.

Neole

These look excellent! If you could use a rotoscoped (animation traced from real life) main character it would fit perfectly.

Quintaros

My plan was to rotoscope poser images in the same style.

I tried making a nightime image of the boat scene.  The tide is in so the beach is gone.  I don't know what to do about the moon and I'm not sure about the water and level of darkness.

Here is my first test at rotoscoping a poser man.  This won't be my final ego, but was just a test to see if this was viable.  How does he look with the background? Are they compatable styles?  I think is scale isn't right for this image but I think you get the idea.

Gregjazz

The character you made doesn't quite work with the style of the backgrounds. He looks too shaded and 3D rendered.

I like the last two backgrounds the best.

Miez

Quote from: Neole on Mon 07/07/2003 05:47:57
These look excellent! If you could use a rotoscoped (animation traced from real life) main character it would fit perfectly.

Absolutely, traced video would work charms with these backgrounds. They remind me a bit of Darkseed, without the tentacles obviously. Very good work!

GarageGothic

Looks great. Especially the boat and the town. The night one is too dark to really see on this monitor. I would put in some more contrast (moonlight on one side of the boat, perhaps silhouetting it).

Portmeiron, eh? This wouldn't happen to be a "The Prisoner" game, would it? Looking at the pics I would guess not (no boats in The Village), but I think the plot would be a great premise for a game.

Flippy_D

Not only is the character too 3D, it's also too large...

But you did say that it was a preliminary, so I won't nitpick.

Looking nice. Very stormy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk