Things that haven't been inventory items... yet

Started by Mats Berglinn, Mon 07/07/2003 19:07:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddysseus

Talking plant
Hoverboard
Girdle
T-shirt with a bullseye on it (give to an annoying NPC at a firing range and watch the fun)
Reverse text parser (instead of converting typed words into actions, click it on game objects to convert them to words- for example, a barking poodle would become the word "dog."  How would this be in any way useful in a game?  Dunno.)

vertigoaddict

Quote from: Oddysseus on Fri 20/07/2007 05:07:43
Reverse text parser (instead of converting typed words into actions, click it on game objects to convert them to words- for example, a barking poodle would become the word "dog."  How would this be in any way useful in a game?  Dunno.)

how about an educational kids game where the child tries his/her hand at figuring out what's what and if they give up they use the amazing 'reverse text parser' to turn objects into their names.

Table!

Chair!

Book!

dog!

a different...kind of ...'dog'...

Oddysseus

Here's an idea:

A meditation handbook.  Use it on yourself, and you can astral project your soul out of your body.  Your soul could travel over areas that your player character could not, and even go through certain walls.

Not sure how to script this, except maybe making a character that always followed the main character from room to room, whose walking image was a blank cell until replaced at the appropriate time with a ghost image.

TerranRich

ODDYSSEUS! I wish I knew you in person, because I could pick your mind endlessly for ideas! That is an amazing idea! Why did I never think of that? I'm really into astral/ethereal projection. There could also be an "advanced" book that you obtain later that does ethereal projection, allowing you access to other planes of existence and whatnot.

Lionmonkey

A non-hypnotized monkey
A drop of blood
A smiley
Guybrush Threepwood
A fridge
Finland, Indian and Poland currencies.

Oddysseus

How about a cooler instead of a fridge?  More practical.

And since you brought up classic adventure characters, how about a book called Larry Laffer's Failproof Pick-up Lines.  Use it on all female NPCs for humorous (and disastrous) consequences.

And now, the part where I pretend to be original:
Inventory items that affect all other inventory items.  The simplest idea I had was: pick up the "sand" item, and the phrase "This is like, covered in sand" will be added before the descriptions of all other inventory items.
Here's an idea that's harder to implement: you're a spacedude on a bio-ship.  All the ship components you pick up have living tissue.  One of the items you can pick up is infected with a virus, and once it is added to your inventory, it starts to infect all your other items, one by one.  Infected items wouldn't necessarily be useless (because everyone hates walking deads, right), but their function would change, so you'd have to solve a few puzzles differently.

TerranRich

Ooh, I like that last idea, Oddysseus! An alternate version could see a molecular destabilizer that you know you need later on in the game, but in the meantime, all of your items appear slightly melted...which makes one of your now-red-herring items useful in some manner, now that it is "melted".

Oddysseus

More:

A biochip that you scraped out of some dead guy
A defibrillator for reviving injured friends/zapping enemies/overloading electrical equipment
A remote-controlled mosquito -you could use it to get blood samples from suspected criminals, or infect it with a virus so it kills any guards it bites

*Tag*
your turn.

Afflict

Rubiks cube ? Don't think I saw any yet in an adventure game.

MoodyBlues

Actually, I think there was one (or something like it) in Space Quest 2.
Atapi - A Fantasy Adventure
Now available!: http://www.afwcon.org/

Recluse

Heheh... Remote controlled mosquito...

That should be in a MAGS competition.  ;D
All your verbcoin are belong to us.

Oddysseus

Perpetual Motion Machine
Anti-matter
Bionic tongue with a top speed of 2000 lpm (licks per minute)

tube

Quote from: Oddysseus on Sun 29/07/2007 23:14:22
Perpetual Motion Machine

I recall using one as an energy source in a Maniac Mansion Mania game.

Lionmonkey

A potion that floods all the world after being spilled on the ground, floods all the world (with all consequences like lesser gravity, high demand on oxygen and such...) ... with the sound of flushing toilet.

A Hero container (a spoof on a pokeball) which can contain clones of the best adventure game characters. Like when a crowd of female fans are blocking you way, you can throw one at them , saying "Leisure Suit Larry, I choose you!" and "Flirt attack!".
Or when you need to get on any restricted space ship (including ones from other dimensions) you can just use Roger Wilco's space janitor ID.

A pre-Great Flood sponge, which was used to clean all the water. (Just imagine, what will happen if you squeeze it)

A broken A perpetual motion machine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion) which is used as a can opener.

The Ultimate Electronic Virtual Viruse Weapon Discette -- A discette, that contains a viruse, capable to detroy any computer or mechanic device, in 1 second after plugging in (Too bad, that none of modern computers or mechanicevices will have a discette drive)

Oddysseus

"A potion that floods all the world after being spilled" - now that's a powerful item.

Also, the pokemon idea is quite cool.  Shame about the massive copyright infringement it would require to utilize it properly.

My contribution(s):
A gun that makes things black and white for some reason.  I dunno, maybe if you made a Rainbow Brite game where you played as Murky and Lurky or something.
Another gun that changes the room perspective from normal to a flat 2D platformer-style perspective (like the upcoming Paper Mario game).  It would be most useful to use this idea with the AGS platformer module.
And finally: some object that allows you to see the preliminary art for the game - use it on objects, they become lineart, backgrounds become rough sketches, characters revert to earlier designs.  Not really useful, but it might be a cool 'behind the scenes' kinda bonus for those who beat the game or find 'teh ooltiMate seekret Item!!'

Stupot

You have to collect pieces of Lego.. err I mean... children's toy building blocks and the more you collect the more cool stuff you can make out of them.  The items you make can be used for solving different puzzles... and building the items would be a cool puzzle in its own right getting more and more difficult the more blocks you collect.

Sale

Has anyone mentioned a self-defeating "Smelly Dog" scented air freshener?

Completed 8-1-07

Oddysseus

"Has anyone mentioned a self-defeating "Smelly Dog" scented air freshener?"

Nope, but it's a great idea.

More:
quiz show buzzer
megaphone
crystal meth

radiowaves

Extremely dangerous jar of liquid mixture witch turns you into a zombie when made contact with your body.
A big bulk of bollocks!
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk