Syberia - explanation for puzzle

Started by GarageGothic, Wed 09/07/2003 10:36:45

Previous topic - Next topic

GarageGothic

This isn't really a hint question, because I've already solved the puzzle. I was just hoping that someone could tell me HOW I was supposed to solve it without trial and error:

Spoiler
When you make Oscars legs, how do you know which position the thing on the left is supposed to be in? I'm not sure if it's a material selector (some of the colors look like wood, metal and so on) which WOULD make sense, but when you pick them up, it always says "wooden legs" on the inventory item, and Oscar just tells you that they're incorrect, now what they're supposed to be like (does the model number have anything to do with it? I couldn't see any connection)
[close]

noed

The quick answer is, because the walkthrough said so. :)  Thanks to you I began wondering why myself, however (I hate it when I'm forced to question authority!).  After reading many Syberia walkthroughs (I get a bit obsessive) this is the best explanation I've found...

Spoiler
"OK, out of the office and up again to the control area. This is a ROYAL pain because it's not obvious what's going on. Put his punch card into the center slot. Activate switch #3 since that's the station you're on. I activated 2 too since he talked about the feet being XZ2005B. Now see the spinner on the lower left? That's choosing the type of wood! If you get it wrong you have to go all the way down to get the feet, then over to him to say they're wrong, then all the way back up here to start again. Cycle around until you get ot the one with the knot in it. Spin again to the brown wood one that's smooth. Hit again to the bark with the crack. Now hit again to the light birch color. That's the one you want. When you then use the lower right control to activate it, you'll see the bird head get the special wood, and that's how you know you did it right."
[close]

-http://www.bellaonline.com/gaming/w/syb/strategy_lib_sybwalk_1d.html
"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff."
-Mariah Carey

GarageGothic

Thanks noed, apparently it's not just me :)

I ended up saving the game and restoring when Oscar says they're the wrong ones, instead of walking all the way back to the console. If I'd new about the different cutscene, it would have been a breeze saving and restoring if you see the short version of the cutscene.

Another puzzle that really had me stumped was making the drink at the end. I tried all kinds of combinations - I even looked up musical notes in the dictionary - until I realized that the ingredients were missing! For some reason I hadn't even noticed that anything but the keys were clickable, but I suppose the missing sounds should have given it away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk