Yufster restraining order

Started by Helm, Thu 10/07/2003 14:33:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Helm

I rarely start threads. When I do, I usually either hope they'll actually make for great discussion, or just will compensate by being funny enough :(

This thread is neither very informative, nor funny at all. It's basically a plea from me (and a few other oldies) to Yufster. The plea says:

Please, stop posting like a madman. You make the forums pretty difficult to follow by people that no longer spend 3 hours on them. Furthermore, please do not use the forums like a chat service. Post less, and include more content in your posts, if you will.

I wouldn't mind, if all those posts were terrific reads, but usually they're more like zany rants by a person that seemingly tries too hard. So, umm... please take my advice and keep it a little cooler with the Post button.

Thank you.

WINTERKILL

Scummbuddy

... a mad woman... and yes, i noticed it too and agree.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Femme Stab Mode >:D

I'm sorry I have to agree with Helm on this one.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

scotch

I and the majority (of non teenage males) in IRC would seem to agree.  Calm down a bit :P

Raggit

I tend to agree with the others. Yufster, you're welcome to stay as long as you behave in a nice fashion.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Barcik

I don't think there is really too much to worry about, as she is new. It's a very common phenomenon, she'll chill out by herself as time passes.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

veryweirdguy

It used to be the same with Jimi, but he's calmed down now. He realised how much he was posting and made a conscious effort to stop. Hopefully she will too.

Sorry, Yufster.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Remeber when I was new? Look around the 45'th page.  :-[ :-[ :-[
I guess I have no right to say what I said before.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Raggit

Yes, this is true.

But however, people don't really know how much is too much until somebody speaks up.  I don't think Helm wanted this thread to be rude or a place to flame Yufster, but insted to help her get along in the community better.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

m0ds

A lot of her posts ARE interesting and ARE getting a lot of replies. Also, if you noticed, she makes good points in her posts but keeps you interested in the read by being silly and funny in places. Yes, she does seem to swear a lot and that is the job of the moderator of that forum to sort out. In the Talk & Chat I usually edit and replace swear words.

Finally, have you ever joined a community that you've always wanted to find and then just talked and talked? I didnt think something existed and then I found out it did, and I couldn't shut up because for 16 years of my life I never realised it existed.

This is a forum, where people chat. Its not called a "Silent".

undergroundling

I'm gonna have to agree with m0ds here.  She does generally have a lot to say and a lot of it is interesting and/or insightful.  She can be really funny and I think she's a welcome addition to the boards here.

She could ease up on using those strikethroughs though.  Those really piss me off.

SSH

Sasha: Do you mean the Jerry/Jeray/Jeruy etc. thread? Ah, salad days...

Undergroundling: Strikethoughs are OK in moderation, similar to putting ^H^H^H^H in Usenet, I guess, but I thing Yuffie was a bit OTT with them

Mods: You only say that because you think you're in with a chance!  ;) You do realise that she is actually a 45-year-old man pretending and the picture she posted was just another of his victims. That explains the eyes....

Dave Gilbert

Was this really necessary?  True, her enthusiasm is strasospheric and her posts read like John Moschitta after a double expresso, but I don't see why that's a problem.  Remember Squalman in his day?  RPG Creator?   I mean, come on people.  Why is Yuffster so bad?  She's not insulting anyone.  She's not ranting.  More than half of her posts (at least the ones I've read) are actually about adventure games or adventure game making.  Why is this an issue?  It's only been a short time.  Give her a chance to calm down.  

juncmodule

I was going to remain silent on this one...but.. ::)

I agree that Yufster needs to calm down a bit.

I think m0ds should get the most predictable post award of the year. :P

I don't think this topic was entirely unnecessary. The point is that Yufster DOES make good posts. But, she is a little...overwhelming. If Helm didn't care he wouldn't have started the post. I see it as his attempt to assist her in becoming part of the community. I like her (not the way m0ds likes her...) I think she should stay and make games and all that. I do think she should lighten up on the contents of her replies...not really her new topics...because I think some of those have been really awesome.

...and I was going to say something here about Yufster not taking offense and that we all enjoy her presence and all that...yeah...but, I'm sure she knows that.

I don't think people should jump so quickly to her defense. I think she is smarter than that. She knows her posts are a little over the top sometimes and I'm sure she will read this, change that, and all will be happy and pink. At least Helm provided her with a topic to defend herself in if she thinks he is wrong.

...That's my two cents...

later,
-junc

Jimi

heh...yeah. I posted way too much. But I think IRC fixed me straight....and the year at military school..just kidding.

DGMacphee

I sure hope this isn't another case of 'oldies vs newbies'.

To be honest, i don't have any issues with the stuff she posts here.

Though, the excessive swearing is a bit much -- even for my ears.

As for hard-to-read posts, I'm buggered with long-winded paragraphs.

That's why these days I write simple sentances instead of long essays.

It make it easier for people to read.

* DGMacphee sees everyone scratch their heads going "Oh! So that's why his writing style changed!"
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

SSH

Quote from: DGMacphee on Thu 10/07/2003 17:32:54
I sure hope this isn't another case of 'oldies vs newbies'. To be honest, i don't have any issues with the stuff she posts here. Though, the excessive swearing is a bit much -- even for my ears. As for hard-to-read posts, I'm buggered with long-winded paragraphs. That's why these days I write simple sentances instead of long essays. It make it easier for people to read.

If you take out the double line-breaks, it still reads like long-winded paragraphs your good-old style, DG, just taking up more space on screen. Ooops... I did a Yufster, there  ::)

m0ds

I have no qualms with what Helm said, afterall he was asking in an orderly fashion - but every time a newbie joins with a slightly undesirable trait, i.e, using l33t speak, posting a lot etc people start moaning.

This is a forum, where, in respect - anyone in the entire world can join and chat. It is not your house, where you only let who you want in at any time.

Therefore, we're bound to have thin people, fat people, people with criminal records, men, women, loud people, rude people, polite people, elvis impersonators and more join the forums.

I am different to Helm and Helm is different to squalman. Yufster is different to us all and in some ways, a refreshing change. Taking this forum out of the picture, the other forums are not always at the height of interest to me.

Yufster did something that a lot of other newbies don't do. Her "Beyond Reality" in the GIP page featured (OMFG) screenshots, character bios, puzzle explanations etc. It was a full, thorough post. Now if you can't say that that post was interesting and informative, perhaps you better go back and read some of the other peoples "My game is coming!" threads.

The strikethroughs bug me, the swearing bugs me and so does the fact when I PM her, her response has nothing to do with what I just said - but at the end of the day she is an AGS user, creating a game with AGS, with an interest in adventure games and the general want to chat and talk to others.

For this, I respect her and don't see why she needs to be moaned about. It's not just because she's a girl that makes me stick up for her. It's for the fact that sometimes, some people treat this place as if it were Alcatraz.

Did you know that you arent allowed to dance in a pub unless it has an entertainment license, which a lot of them dont? It'd be an awfully boring country if people abided by that rule, both punter and landlord.

m0ds

DGMacphee

Quote from: SSH on Thu 10/07/2003 17:40:29
If you take out the double line-breaks, it still reads like long-winded paragraphs your good-old style, DG, just taking up more space on screen. Ooops... I did a Yufster, there  ::)

It's easier to read with my new way -- Summerising everything I want to say in a paragraph into a single sentence.

EDIT:
Here's a thought.

From now on, if someone has a problem with someone else on this forum, be it new person or old person, send a polite private message to that particular person.

That way we keep lines of communication open and save the embarrassment of a particular user.

There is no need to make public announcements like this to plea for a person to post less -- tell them how you feel directly.

That's what part of being a community is all about.

Now, I'm going to leave this thread open until Yufster has her say (as it's only fair) and then I'm locking it -- There's no need for it.

But from now on I urge more communication between individuals -- it's more respectful that way.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Rincewind

Personally I don't mind her posting a lot of posts, as long as they have a point and a meaning, which I think they have had so far. And her... Eh... "energetic" behavior doesn't bother me a bit.
In fact, I get a good laugh almost everytime I read a post by her... ;D
I'm just curious on how she will react on this thread - So far, she hasn't aswered...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk