YE GRANDE ELITIST OLD GUARD FORUM?? pros and cons

Started by Goldmund, Wed 16/07/2003 11:42:50

Previous topic - Next topic

makri

Well, I admit that I hopped on the AGS train in the end days of Ezboard and didn't read everything posted so far... This whole issue just reminds me of some old people who go around preaching how youth is horrible these days and how things were way better in the olden days when nothing really has changed.
Thud. Thud. Thud. Splat.

taryuu

i remember that day that  you resgined pessi.  tho i seem to recall it was over something a little more graphic than communism.  that was captain mostly wasn't it?  do you have the thread handy?

at any rate i recall sticking up for mostly just like i stuck up for yufster.  don't know why tho now that i look back on it.  

anyway i'd say back in the ezboard days there used to be a lot more tolerence for stupid posts.  than when we switched it seemed we would go through these cycles of people talking about the forum rules, and uselss posts. that was more of a bandwidth thing back then, and this time it seems to be more of a pissing people off thing.  this was all supposed to be solved by that forum quiz you had to take before you got your membership.  

no one brought that up either.  

actaully, while i was looking thru the old posts, i found this

http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=3167;start=0

neat eh?

feel free to comment and interact (that one's for you pessi ;)
I like having low self-esteem.  It makes me feel special.

taryuu?

remixor

There's no way for me not to seem biased, since I'm obviously a newb, but I"m pretty opposed to this proposition.  I've seen this type of nostalgic/elitist/whatever behaviour in countless other internet communities (hell, what am I talking about?  real life communities even more so), and I think it's a total fallacy.  I can't see any real benefit to creating a forum entirely for a select few.  I've read this whole thread but it still seems kind of pointless to me.  Goldmund says the pros are 'obvious' and with all due respect, even taking into account my newbie perspective, I don't see them as all that obvious.  Maybe the oldbies would have more in common, maybe they can relate to the "good old days" better, but I just don't see how this necessitates a new private forum.  All it would do is cause those people to spend less times on the regular forums, thus decreasing their valuable input.  I know that there's no technical reason people couldn't keep posting here just as often, but look at it this way.  The people who spend much time on the oldbie forum are going to be the ones who are most affected by the nostalgia syndrome.  Since they obviously perceive the other oldbies as being more worthwhile of their time (why else would they support and peruse such a forum?), they will see lesser value in posting for the newbs.

Anyway, the whole idea just seems ludicrous and rather silly to me.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Dmitri

* Dmitri hangs head in shame

I hate my old posts... I honestly do...

I don't know what defines a newb. A person who takes the community too seriously I guess.

I mean think about it, the people who take this place to heart. Those who truly care about others opinions, those who want to be cool, to be liked. Don't they want to start threads? Silly threads to seem cool? Don't they throw in one or two lines, or say "That's cool" in all the art threads?

I don't know if I take this place seriously. If I didn't care AT ALL I wouldn't come here once or twice a day to see how everyone's been doing. I care about what people think of me. But I'm not necessarily here for lifelong friends or to be liked anymore. On the same note I don't want everyone to hate me.

It's a theory...
Pretzels :B

Andail

I think the discussions is starting to move in circles now. My last comments would be:

1. Yes, there were recently problems with people posting too much and not very thoughtful. There were problems with old members being passive and losing interest because of this. Whatever Taryuu and Makri have to say about the quality of posts during the old days, this fact remains.

2. Probably everything that needed to be said has been said. Therefore I propose that we go back to normal and stop dwelling on this. It's CJ:s decision in the end.
No more martyrs departing, no more whining, and open season on DG has ended.

DGMacphee

No way -- That DG is an oldbie retard!!!

Oh wait...

That's me...
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Robert Eric

I agree :P ;)
Ã, Ã, 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk