New AGS?

Started by Flame, Sun 20/07/2003 17:16:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Flame

I saw this thing on the internet. Its some Adventure game maker with a bunch of ripped graphics and stuff that comes with it. It supposed to come out in April.
If anyone has better knowledge about this please tell me.

scotch

Heh that's rather vague.. I don't recall seeing anything like that though.  If it comes with ripped graphics it probably isn't very good.

Trapezoid

Er, doesn't AGS's default sprite gallery have some ripped graphics in it?

scotch

well... it has traced ones! they've been artistically reinterpreted or something..
anyway we all know AGS is lame.

Pumaman

Yeah, it sure is - only a complete lame-brain would use AGS.

juncmodule

WHAT!? Did that even make sense :P

Do you even know what it is called? That could be any number of things...

What does "come out in April" mean...really? If that is a release date and it costs money...then it is worthless. If it is free then it will NEVER be out in April because we know how those "other" engines work when it comes to release dates.

That's why I love AGS, and Chris, and this community.

Seems like every month we get a new feature or ten!

later,
-junc

Pumaman

Quote from: scotch on Sun 20/07/2003 17:30:05
well... it has traced ones! they've been artistically reinterpreted or something..

Very nicely put scotch - yes, Roger is an artistic re-interpretation.

Luckily, nobody ever said a re-interpretation had to be better than the original.

Dr. Awesome

While we're at it, I heard a rumor of AGS with full 3D acceleration, voice emulation software and a plugin that programs entire games for you. It comes out in August. I think, I can't be too sure because I really have no factual backing for this claim. If anyone has better information, please post here.

shitar

While we're at it, I heard a rumor of AGS with full 3D acceleration, voice emulation software and a plugin that programs entire games for you. It comes out in August. I think, I can't be too sure because I really have no factual backing for this claim. If anyone has better information, please post here.

:o Thats got to be a lie!!DUH!! :P
MIRC: #ags #agsfun #hello #agsnude #agscake

MrColossal

mitar, don't you get the AGS newsletter?

this is true, CJ's been working on it in secret so as not to cause a mass influx of people
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

TerranRich

OMG! I maek new 3D battel game rihgt now!!!1!1  Giev me AGS 3D veirson!!!

In all seriousness (and so as not to spam the thread), that was a pretty vague post.

mitar: If you're going to quote an entire post, at least use the "[ quote ]" tags. And you didnt' really need to quote the entire post.

Dr. Awesome: LOL

ricecake

Nothing's wrong with 3D if it's used to speed up sprite rendering, animation, add more anti-aliasing to eliminate jaggies, and so on. Doesn't mean that a game has to be a shooter or an action game. Commercial adventure games like "Syberia" and "The Longest Journey" are examples of how 3D can be used to improve things. While one of the most eagerly awaited fan-made games, called "King's Quest 9: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining", will also use a 3D polygonal character, which allows for smoother character animation. And they're doing it all for free too! 8) So, that kind of 3D would only be a good thing in AGS. After all, those who prefer hand-drawn characters could still use it, while others could use polygonal ones.

I realise that one can still render a 3D character and make it into a sprite. However, such a character won't merge with the backgrounds too well, since you'd have to either anti-alias it against a predefined background (meaning that you'll see jaggies on dark backgrounds if you used a white one to pre-render it, and vice versa) or leave it completely non-anti-aliased.

Anyway, just thought I'd say something in defense of 3D in adventure games. When used right, it only enhances the experience. Now, don't go freaking out on me for this. ;) 8)

scotch

I don't think many people have anything against 3d as you put it. It can certainly be as graphically beautiful as 2d when used well.  Some might be put off by some of the newer 3d adventures not being quite as good as some old ones or games companies doing 3d just for the sake of it being 3d though.  I'd love a 3d AGS, and would certainly use it.. but it's not going to happen.. at least for a very long time.
It's a little off topic anyway.. if this thread has a topic anymore that is :)

I think 3d characters on 2d pre rendered (by hand or by computer) backgrounds are great, the character feels more like a part of the scene rather than something stuck on top of it and there are advantages in animation as you say.  Even better now 3D hardware is at a point where it doesn't have to look uniform and boring, as long as there are good artists.

Dr. Awesome

It's interesting that you began defending 3D in a thread that had no ill mention of it.

Grilled cheese is the ultimate sandwich, I don't see why people have a  problem with it.

ricecake

I didn't say many people have something against 3D (whether they do or not), I just addressed those that have expressed a dislike/hate of it in this thead (which they're, of course, entitled to, as I'm entitled to defend it). :)

Dr. Awesome, read your own post, and you'll see the "ill mention". You were sarcastic about using 3D, and put it in the same "basket" with a "plug-in" that writes the whole game for you. Another poster immediately associated 3D with some battle game, also in sarcastic manner. :)

I just think some people could use a little open mind, that's all. 8)

Las Naranjas

And by 3d you mean polygoned sprites, not 3d in any real term of the word.

Since eben KQ1 was advertised as a 3d adventure.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

ricecake

Define the "real" term of 3D... Because one of the dictionary definitions is "having a three dimensional form OR appearance". But when it comes to polygonal characters in games like Syberia, TLJ, or KQ9 (fangame), it is 3D not only in appearance but also form (when it comes to characters and certain objects). ;) 8)

Dr. Awesome

No, actually. By mentioning 3D and the self-programming plugin I was merely making an absolutely outlandish claim to poke fun at the original post. It was a joke. I liked the use of 3D in Monkey Island 4. 3D is sexy. Please continue with your statements though. I really don't mind. Perhaps you should make a new thread for your completely valid point.

Gregjazz

I didn't like the use of arrow-keys controls in MI4, though. I'd would be really great if there was an adventure game that used the standard point-and-click interface, had real-time 3D characters, and pre-rendered backgrounds. That would be cool.

MrColossal

syberia and longest journey are like that, geoff

[althought some people would argue that syberia isn't an adventure game]
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk