Beneath a Steel Sky sprites

Started by undergroundling, Sun 20/07/2003 18:34:54

Previous topic - Next topic

undergroundling

Has anyone ripped (or found) sprites from BaSS?  I really love the artwork and character design in that game and wanted to use their sprites as templates.  I know there are sprite rippers designed for LucasArts and Sierra games, but as BaSS was not made by either of these companies, I'm having a hard time finding a way of ripping these sprites.

Any help would be really appreciated.

And if I do manage to get them ripped, I'll be sure to post them for your downloading pleasure (or give 'em to junc to put on his webspace).

m0ds

Afterall these years, I think you're the first person I've seen ask. But no, I don't recall them being available atm.

Whilst we're at it, TEEN AGENT SPRITES! I WANT! lol j/k.

:)
m0ds

undergroundling

I suppose I could find a way to decompile the data files in the game and see what I could come up with.  If anyone knows a good way of doing this, that'd be great, because I sure dont...

Either that, or begin the slow and laborious task of taking screenshot after screenshot of walking animation, trying to capture every single frame.

I think I'll go with Option 1.

For now...

Scummbuddy

PrintScreen. a ba-jillion times, but it'll be worth all the trouble
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

BOYD1981

or use one of those proggies that records video of what goes on on the screen, you'd end up with a pretty big file though cos it'd have to be uncompresssed so you can make out all the pixels...
has anyone ever tried just asking the people that make the games if they can have the sprites and artwork?

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

undergroundling

Boyd:  I actually read on the Revolution site that (since it's bascially abandonware), they will give out the basic source files to people who want them (i.e. people developing versions of the game for other operating systems, etc.).  I'm planning on emailing them to find out if I can get copies of the sprites for my own nefarious purposes.  I'll let y'all know how things turn out.

Hobbes

Or you could visit www.scummvm.org

In their daily CVS version of their program, it can run BASS in Windows XP.

So, they must have found a way of decompiling it. Perhaps they know of an extraction program? Not sure how they'll respond though, since I never tried contacting them.... they're a bit careful for things that might have legal repercussions, since LucasArts once tried to shut them down.

undergroundling

ScummVM used the source code from the game (provided free of charge by the lovely folks at Revolution Studios) to make the new version of the VM compatible with BaSS, so it was a perfectly legal and designer-sanctioned thing.  I think I might just have to PrintScreen...over and over and over again.

Is there a program that just stores bajillions of PrintScreens?  I'm sure there must be and I'm just missing something.

Dr. Awesome

Y'know, I've been looking for the exact same thing. No luck with e-mailing Revolution? There must be a simpler way than taking screenshots, that'll be a hellish task. I hope you're willing to share your work, too. Because I'm too lazy to do that on my own.

AGA

http://www.levasseur.net/YCP/ - if you take multiple printscreens, this prog automatically saves each one to memory

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk