Alien test game from many moons ago

Started by MrColossal, Mon 12/08/2002 08:56:11

Previous topic - Next topic

MrColossal

hello, i "released" my "game"

it's the alien game i used as a getting to know AGS game

it's at Kafka's Koffee

http://sylpher.com/kafka

it's terribly unfinished but i thought it was cute enough to just show some people

so there you go, enjoy or don't, no pressure

love,
eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Layabout

Its great

Love the animations. Killer! You should finish it...
I am Jean-Pierre.

Esseb

Wonderful. Really nice. And MSPaint? Sheesh.

Gotta love that nifty inventory trick.

Btw, room7, is there anywhere to get there without teleporting? Seeing as I'm stuck on what I assume is a high background.

JD

Very... very... very good! I wish you'd finish it man. It has an atmosphere!

Helm

I agree it's great. Eric, finish this, it has great potential.
WINTERKILL

MillsJROSS

As Tony the Tiger would say it's "Grrrreat!" However, my oppinion differs. What the hell were you thinking? "Oh, my name is eric, and I'm going to create what could potentially be an awesome game if I finish it, but here's the kick...I'm not going to finish it. hahahaaaaaaaaaaa!" Finish it! I loved it!

-MillsJROSS

2ma2

I presume the following material you'll give us will rock even more. Anyho', graphically it's terrific. I do hope you didn't dither that background pixel by pixel ;)

Yet, the fact that it isn't finished, let's it down a bit, especially cause you're stuck after that cool cutscene. But scirptwise it's also fabolous. It's nice to see someone dig into the basics, and create something smart yet highly resonable (liking proving yourself infront of that priest) with easy stuff. I don't recall hearing you whining over stupid requests in the tech forum, so three thumbs up only because of that.

Needless to say, it has great potential and you really should finish this. Either that or release it opensource to show the n00bs how easy it is to make oldschool cutscenes (like moving the foreground faster).

Yet, was the aliens head supposed to alter it's shade while talking? :)

MrColossal

heh thanks todos,

technically there isn't much left to do... but i just can't see myself going back to it... the whole reason i stopped working on it actually is cause i got stuck on a background, i had no clue how to draw what i wanted

so i got frustrated and stopped

then started my ron game and didn't look back

i mostly whined to gilbert when my scripts weren't working... i told helm once on MSN...

e - "I don't know how to script"
h - "Are you serious?"
e - "Yea, It's totally beyond me."
h - "Dude... open up ags..."
e - "Ok."
h - "go to a room... go to interactions, choose Enters Room After Fade In..."
e - "Ok..."
h - "Type this... Display("Hello.");"
e - "Ok..."
*does so...*
e - "OH!!!"
h - "Yea, now stop being a dick and figure the rest out..."

ok so i took some liberties with the last bit, but that's how i felt... like... OH! man, how much of a tard am i...

as far as the alien's head changing colour... i could never fix that... i don't know why, but i tried for days and then gave up

i'm glad you enjoyed

eric

hmm, that makes 2 "games" i've made where people tell me to finish it... maybe i should release my ron game now... with 1 walking character and 3 backgrounds fully playable, just so i don't break character
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Igor

Beautiful game!
I would love to see this finished.

Btw, does game tell you when you solved everything there is to solve, or is it just "open"?
I got whole lot of objects that i have no idea what to do with them: Garbage fish, Wooden plank, Paper airplane, Wooden dummy and Fish net.

JD

I really like the way you did the cutscene with the platform moving down. And all the little animations or even a single frame when you pick up or use something. And the fact you made the backgrounds in paint! This is a good lesson for the people thinking Adobe Photoshop 7 will make the best backgrounds! The characters look neat, the backgrounds are sweet... and the (as I said before) atmosphere is.. uh.. leet! (oh look at my 3l1t3 rhyming). I remember seeing a flash animation of the platform-cutscene and thought: "This would be sweet in an ags game!". And it did. As I said before. Damn, I seem to be repeating stuff. It's just that this 'unfinished' piece o game-age inspired me. It inspired me into finishing one of my (many) unfinished games. Blargh! Must... Draw... As Igor said, I'd also love to see this finished. It would kick the llama's naked ass. I understand you 'cant see yourself going back to it'... I also have many unfinished games (like... over 5) and I didnt see myself going back into them either. But, now I feel I can finish one of them! I hope, that someday you'll finish this game too. It's just too good to waste! Ah well, this post is getting a bit too long now. I think I'll dig up one of my unfinished games now... Well, at least this game helped someone! Me that is :) So, thanks man!

(Hey lookie, a post by me without any OF TIHS TYPIGN!1111 aRes I teh cured??//)

Squinky

Man....I agree this game is very inspiring, and I just want to say that I love the inventory gui, and that cool-ass paperairplane deal in the inventory....This game had a lot of what many ags games lack, including mine, which is presentation, it just looks/feels/tastes good to play....shit, I even loved your company logo...

I also have to say kudos on the dialogs....I enjoyed them....
Keep it up man....

Helm

Heh. I remember that one (more or less like eric says). He just didn't want to make the first step. I know the feeling. You think you'll have to devote all that time into it when you start, so you're a bit reluctant.

and then after a few weeks he made ags draw. Go figure.
WINTERKILL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk