Help would be appriciated

Started by , Wed 06/08/2003 03:19:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbie.

I downloaded the AGS, but i have a simple problem, what am i suppose to do, I dont understand anything about it, I though there was no programming skills needed, but im totally confused.

i mean, I dont know what GUI means, how to make those characters, rooms, scripts, anything.  :'(

Dr Snark

Ok,

#1 i just got yelled at for making a non-descriptive title.
#2 GUI = Graphical User Interface (Like THe windows Start menu)
#3 Read the Manual
#4 Use Photoshop or Paint to Draw your graphics.
#5 you can make a game with no programming skills, the game will just suck horribly

Newbie.

I looked at the tutorial and its really weird, says you have to draw your background, and suddenly therre is this complex scifi surrounding, am i suppose to make that somehow?

You know, you would assume its possible to make a simple prgram that allow you to make 2D games without all that nonsense.  :-X

Ill just forget the whole thing, way too complicated for one room adventure game.

Gilbert

There're lots of tutorial, help threads here already, please read them first:
http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=4752
http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=2252

If you're not specific to your problems, people cant help you much, so read the forum rules, use descriptive subjects, and post here if only you have a specific problem that you don't know or cant solve.

And of course:

Anyway, welcome aboard and happy AGSing! :D

Newbie.

I actually looked through all of those, and they are latin to me. i just dont get it, how to make a room, it says "draw" in tutorial, but suddenly theres this really good looking area, which I could never draw.

Ishmael

IT IS AN EXAMPE!!! The pic is there so you know it's a background... You can draw like this but still make a good game. That shows my main projects bg guality in avarage... well no, that's below avarage ditailment, but you get the point... You are not supposed to draw what is in the manual or tutorial, you are supposed to draw what you want to be in you game Sorry for the yelling and so on....
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Newbie.

But I cant draw on computer, they always look really stupid and ugly. Only thing I can draw on computer is squares.  :(

Isint there ready rooms to download or something?

Barcik

Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Lewton

Even that Insta game thing is too complicated for me, I have no idea how they work. Ill just forget the whole thing, Ill settle for playing your games.

Scummbuddy

What is so complicated about it? Maybe we can help you.  We'd love to help you.  You just download the file, then unzip the file into a folder on your computer.  Then there are a bunch of pictures to use as backgrounds.  Then you import them into a new room in the ags editor.  You could use photos for backgrounds too... whatever you want.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

The new AGS 2.56 has a Make My Game option on the help menu...

Scummbuddy

Haha, he's kidding, it doesn't actually work... its just a joke in the editor...  ;D
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Aww what'ya go and tell him that for ;( can't have any fun round here.

Lewton

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Wed 06/08/2003 18:13:59
What is so complicated about it? Maybe we can help you.  We'd love to help you.  You just download the file, then unzip the file into a folder on your computer.  Then there are a bunch of pictures to use as backgrounds.  Then you import them into a new room in the ags editor.  You could use photos for backgrounds too... whatever you want.

Well maybe its not complicated, but even that im 16years old my computer intelligence is on the level of a four year old. Pretty much everything that dosent walk me through step by step is over my head, It took me months just to figure out how to install games by my self.  :P

And i used that winzip thingy but i cant see any backrouds at all, though im fairly certain Im just mis understanding again. So I think it would take way too much time and effort from your part to help me with this, so I think i should just let it go.

scotch

You're probably right, as it says on the front page AGS isn't for everyone, as 2d game making programs go it's one of the easiest to use but you'd have to have a fair knowledge of computers beforehand to really do anything with it.

Lewton

I just want to let you all know i managed to make my first room, even though it looks horrible, and plain, it works. Thanks to my stubbornes and bona fied stupidity, I refused to give up. Thank you all for your help. You should see brand new game sometime next decade.  ;)

TerranRich

Hey,  that's great that you've made your first room. However, I must point some things out.

You obviously never read the forum rules. You broke several of them all in one post. Maybe if your computer intelligence is that of a 4 year old (as you yourself claimed) maybe you shouldn't be making adventure games, I'm sorry to say. I mean, making games does take some understanding of art (even in the crudest sense; some games out there have horrible graphics but are still good), events and interactions, and reading a manual.

We tell you to read the manual, because everything you need is right there. I know of no other game making program that has a better, more concise help manual that comes with it.

And I really don't understand why you couldn't understand how to follow the tutorial. It said to create a new game, then draw a room. Draw means to draw. Use your mouse, click and drag lines, use the fill tool, and draw rooms. The AGS Page is not the place to teach you how to use painting programs. Most people already know how to do that.

On a final note, it's good that you didn't give up. Never give up. I'll forgive this post for now. But any future posts like this will immediately be deleted.

:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk