Tune Contest aug 8 - 15

Started by loominous, Fri 08/08/2003 00:10:34

Previous topic - Next topic

loominous

I ve got a soft spot for grand arrangements so this weeks goal will be to:

Create a large arrangement of a fairly well known theme

(i) The bigger sounding the better. (Note: not louder, think width not volume)

(ii) Whether the grand effect is accomplished by use of distorted guitars or timpanis is up to you.

Enjoy
Looking for a writer

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

I was looking around on my hard drive for midis I could use as references for this contest, and I saw the Tetris theme. I just couldn't resist:

http://www.btinternet.com/~peter.rocker/uber_tetris.mp3

Here's the midi, although it won't sound anywhere near as cool: http://www.btinternet.com/~peter.rocker/uber_tetris.mid

loominous

Just to clarify, the arrangement doesn t have to be orchestral.

Btw, I really liked the intro Archangel; wish you d made it longer.
Looking for a writer

Yes, but then there would have been less mad tetrisey goodness ^_^

EldKatt

Does it have to be a game theme? Or just any theme?

Either way I'm definitely in.

loominous

Any fairly well known theme will do; could be a commercial jingle or an opera theme.
Looking for a writer

Sluggo

Do you want, for instance, an entire piece of music orchestrated to large proportions, or just a theme repeated a couple of times? Because I started orchestrating a piano sonata and wondered if that was the sort of thing you were looking for.  ;D

MachineElf

It doesn't really say in the rules, sluggo, so I would believe it's ok.
Damn, I want my new computer soon (just the damn chassi left - why did the rest of the world have to switch to ATX?) so I can make music again... Then I'll show you all!!!!!!!! ;)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

loominous

As long as the theme is recognizeable to someone who s familiar with the original you can do pretty much whatever you want  (repeat, skip parts as you please).
Looking for a writer

loominous

Tip:

To get a really huge effect strong contrasts are pretty essential.

Example: start soft, hit hard, fade out, strike again.
Looking for a writer

loominous

Are there any contributions in the making or should I end the contest at the current date?
Looking for a writer

Leave it another day and  a half, but I'm leaving on sunday, and I want to know if I've won or not!

EldKatt

I'd love to contribute but I don't really have the time... So go ahead without me. :P

I'll make sure I have time for the next one though. ;D

loominous

I guess the winner would be

Spoiler
Archangel
[close]
Looking for a writer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk