Terrifying new idea for Competition/Activity...

Started by Ali, Fri 15/08/2003 19:28:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Dislcaimer: Idea not terrifying...

You know that game where someone draws a head on a piece of paper and passes it round and other people draw the rest of the body one part at a time?

I thought it would be interesting if there was an activity (a variation on a Sprite Jam) where someone would draw a sprite's head (plus maybe a character name) and other people would add torsos, arms, legs and feet.
The person with the funniest or most creative addition would draw another head and the grand cycle would begin again.

What do you all think? I just think it would be cool to see a character with an MS paint camel's heads and a 3DS Max dragon's tail.

Ginny

I like it, it could produce some very funny results!

Very good idea, IMO. It could also not be limited to people, it could be a background or something later on. Whoever wins, i.e. did the funniest/most original/best part decides what will be drawn next, and starts on it. :)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Evil

Sounds fun. I also think they need to add art to the ags awards. Like best new artist, best art, best walkanimation, best concept, Best winning spritejam/bb drawing and so on...

Scummbuddy

I agree with Evil on the induction of new awards.  Some don't have to be winners, it could include all that entered.  In my opinion, not always does the best one win...

Making the competition a background as well, has been done here and seems to go well, so I am for it.  I think it should be a weekly thing or something, cause after awhile, soo much is added that it becomes chaos.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

DGMacphee

Categories like that are too specific for the AGS Awards.

There is already an animation award, which covers walkcycles and everything else.

There is also one for room designs, which includes backgrounds.

There is also one for character design.

As for best concept: Why give an award for something that isn't a tangible production -- If we give awards for ideas, why bother making games?

And as for sprite jams and background blitz: It's hard enough keeping track of the games released over the last year, and damn difficult to also keep track of the different spritejam/bb entries.

Then again, I handed it over to Mods and Kandyman -- Take it up with them, but I believe it's hard enough to run as is.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

agsking

Ali: Great idea. It would be easy also, the person who starts it says the rules, maybe a little somthing like this:

colors: blablabla

Size: (person would draw three sections
that look like this          

_______
   _______
   _______
except in image form

)
The rule maker could then set a theme or whatever
People would then post, and randomly be chosen to do a section like say the middle. They would do that section, PM or email it to the rule person then he would paste it on with the other entry 2 entrys, so they don't see it.

They are probably a lot of ways to do this besides email, but I think it would be a lot more interesting and funny if people didn't see other peoples entrys or parts.

I think this is an awsome thing, I would love to see it become a new competition/activity.

We should make the " AGS art and media awards "

This WOULD be cool IMO. I know this won't happen but hey, its still cool. There are way too many award things anyway already, and keeping track of just one is hard enough for most people.

Ginny

Hehe, just curious, when do the awards occur anyway? And what awards are there? I haven't been here long enough to witness it, hehe.

And yes, through PM's this activity could be very funny, but it couls also just be, add a part, and the first to add a certain part is the one to umm, add it :P. The "ruler" :D could make a list of parts to add, like if the image is a background of a forest for example, then you start with a ground and sky, and then:

-grass
-clouds
-faraway hills
-trees

etc...
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

ravenfusion

Someone should start up a groupboard (it's an online drawing board thing).

Anyone can go on it and add something, then save it.

http://www.groupboard.com

remixor

There's already an AGS drawing board thing but I don't remember the address
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

AGA

Scummbuddy

As in DG's signiture, you can read all about the fabulous past of the AGS Awards by going here

http://agsacademy.tripod.com/

its full of deception, love, honor, backstabbing and the bloody lot of us.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

TheYak

It's an okay idea, but I think it would be best implemented via the whiteboard or via transfers on #AGS.  You'd run into too many problems with two people working on the same arm before noticing someone else did that.  Also.. you know the crowd you're working with here..  how many seconds do you estimate would pass before the character obtained a penis (or two, or three?)

MonkeySpank

Yeah, what's up with penises anyway? hehe
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk