A simple message

Started by Aliem, Tue 19/08/2003 18:11:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Aliem

Hello.
I have a problem:
I tried to display a simple message when I "look a hotspot", but it does this error:

"Error: Cannot display message with extended characters in SCI font"

Where am I wrong?

ThunderStorm

You have used some extended characters in your message text, something like ä ö ü ß è or ô. These cannot be displayed with SCI fonts, you would have to replace unused characters to make them work.

Aliem

Ishmael

How many theads about this error are there in the forum? I think CJ you should add some kind of common errors section to the manual, which covers all the common errors in AGS, like 'extendet char in SCI font', 'All dialog options turned off', text scripting errors, and explains how to fix em... I think it would clear the board a bit... Me thinks this. ;)
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Scummbuddy

Sadly, this is in the Beginners FAQ.... number 3

"Whenever I enter a conversation with a character in my game, AGS quits and gives me the error: "Cannot display message with extended character in SCI font." What does this mean??

Well, this means exactly what it says. You can't use an "extended character" in the SCI font. This means that the SCI font can only support 128 characters, whereas normal fonts support 256 and sometimes more characters. Therefore, foreign characters (letters with tildes, graves, accents, etc.) cannot be displayed unless they replace unused characters in the SCI font, like the dollar sign or a colon or other punctation mark. If you look at the Fonts section in AGS, it will show you each and every character that can be displayed in that font. Even if you import a TTF font, it will still only support the first 128 characters.

The solution? Simply replace that character (the letter, not the game persona) with another, similar letter, or simply remove it altogether."

Please people, read the FAQs when you get here and before you post... most often you will find your answer in the manual or in the FAQs.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

TerranRich

Dammit! Read the forum rules, then the Beginners' FAQ!!!

>:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk