VerbCoin and Inventory Problem

Started by inFERNo, Tue 19/08/2003 19:20:45

Previous topic - Next topic

inFERNo

Hello! I'm currently working on my first project with AGS, which is just another of those "get-outta-one-room-quests", just to learn everything AGS has to offer and I'm proud to say that I've gotten pretty far in quite a short time. I actually text script everything already (well, but with using the "run script" command from the drop down ;) ) and learned everything I know from the help file, which really does give some awesome help. Well, I tried getting a bit deeper into the scripting and started working on a custom inventory, a verb coin and a status bar that displays the interactions and names of objects at the bottom of the screen. Well, actually I stole all of the code. :) I got the verb coin from 2ma2 (big props!), the status bar and custom inventory from the demo quest. Now I"m already as far that I understand everything the scripts do. I couldn"t write them myself, but I understand them!
It took me quite a while to get it to a point that the game wouldn't crash and decided myself against posting in the forums for help many times, just because I wanted to fix and learn it myself.
But now I'm stuck on quite some things and am just too much of a n00b to get it right.
I uploaded the global script file which you can view at the bottom of the post, but first I want to list the stuff that isn't working right.

Verb Coin:
when moving over the three buttons of it I want the appropriate text displayed in the status bar. e.g. look at, Interact with and Talk to. Now I tried using the GetGUIObjectAt(mousex,mousey)!=-1 command and variations in the do_lucasarts_status function
without getting a good result.
I first used the GetGUIObjectAt only which made it show the text on every GUI button (showed on inventory buttons, but not the verb coin) and then combined it with GetGUIAt so it would only do it for the verb coin and no other GUIs. No good result.
Also I would like to connect it with the object name that verb coin currently is over, which is something I'm completely stuck on too.
Inventory:
Works alright, but when clickin the look at button and ok, the cursor won't return to the arrow, but stay the eyes, allthough the MODE will switch to walk. I tried various differnt commands, also setting a variable to 1 when clicking the look at button which if the condition is met when clicking ok should have set the cursor back to the arrow, but no success there either.
The last thing is that I would like to have my text displayed above the inventory, when the player interact with an item. Right now, all the buttons will be disabled while he speeks, but the font is underneath and you also have to click to stop him from speaking (which I probably could fix myself though), which I don't want either.
Now, I'm not asking for anyone to code my game there, I just need some hints to process further. As of now, I'm completely stuck on those things, so I'd appreciate any help very very VERY much (yes, that was three of 'em).
Here's the script: http://sws.strikenet.at/main.txt

Thanks a whole lot in advance!

[EDIT]Uh, sorry, don't know if I should've posted in this forum, it's probably not the most basic stuff anymore. But I'd still consider myself a beginner, which is why I posted here.[/EDIT]
[EDIT2]And yes, a couple of beers actually do fuck my typing[/EDIT]

Scummbuddy

perhaps private messaging forum members with your selected verb coin problems.. such as EvilSpaceFart

http://www.geocities.com/evilspacefart/

maybe, if you ask him nicely, he may make a template of the verb coin gui for everyone to use.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Ginny

I believe evilspacefart is using 2ma2's open source Verb coin, because they look identical heh, but anyway let me just dig up the ILB link...
http://user.tninet.se/~vqb114l/ilb/
here.
More specifically, the verb coin is in the tutorials section :).

edit: Arg, didn't see all you post, I'm kinda dizzy :P, I see you know about 2ma2's verb coin already :) My bad.

So, umm, about your problems, I dunno right now really, I'm very sleepy, sorry I couldn't be more help, I just can't concentrate. Good luck!

(I'd delte my post if there was a delte option, heh I'm so used to it..).
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

inFERNo

Well, after playing around with it a lot more, I decided I was wasting my time and that it still is a bit too advanced for me. Once I can write one myself, I'll get back to it... ;)
For now, I shall enhance my custom inventory a bit and try to collect more scripting skills, which should be challenging enough.
Thanks for the attempts of help though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk