Apprentice 2!

Started by big brother, Thu 28/08/2003 07:51:03

Previous topic - Next topic

big brother

Hi guys,

I thought I'd just let everyone know that we have officially started development on the second installment (of a 3 or 4 part series) of Apprentice.
(projected release date: Christmas 2003, optimistically)

You can check out more information and concept art on our website.
http://www.sonic.net/~schlae/herculeaneffort

We will be working on both The Find and Apprentice Chapter 2 simultaneously (on different computers, etc.), so no worries.

Ian
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

inFERNo

Hold your horses there! I'm still stuck in the first part!
no, but seriously, this is great! I'm looking forward to see the first screens!

Mats Berglinn

That's great! The first game was fantastic. I hope Pib will do a "real" spell this time and that the second game will be longer than the first one.

But there's one thing that have boggled my mind since the first try of the first Apprentice game: What is that thing on Pib's pants that his between his legs? Is that for protecting his balls or what? No offense, I'm just asking.

Dr Snark

Yeah I loved the first one, kept me coming back for hours, lOL..

I can't wait to play the next one(s)

Gregjazz

The thing on Pib's pants between his legs, eh?

Did anyone else have problems identifying this (foreign?) object?

Inspired by period artworks from Brugel (et al) our artist decided a "codpiece" would lend an authentic pre-renaissance feel to our main character's design.

If you still have any questions, try looking up "codpiece" on Google, and I'm sure you'll find some freaky stuff.

Pet Terry

Great! Hope you can make the same atmosphere as there was in the first part :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Vel

Great! Maybe when you make all chapters of apprentice, you can add voice acting?

magintz

Wow, I really enjoyed the first part but thought it was a bit short, nice to see it will be longer :D

Good Luck
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

jason

SWEET!  ;D

Sorry for the one word reply, but I'm at a loss for words! Apprentice ownz =)

PS: If it's feasible, I, too, would love to hear some well-done voice acting in A2. If not, it really doesn't matter because everything else about Apprentice is superb.

big brother

Actually, Jason, we are considering putting voice in Apprentice 2 and possibly making a voice pack for the original.

I'd be honored if anyone would like to volunteer their voice-acting talents....

Ian

Vel

I would be more than happy to act in your games.

Hobbes

Count me in as well!

Trapezoid

I can do some vocal work as well.

remixor

I'd love to play a part in your game, if you need end up still needing someone.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Rincewind

Awesome, man! Apprentice is one of the best AGS-games I've ever played, so don't you disappoint us with the sequel, eh? ;)  
Good luck!

big brother

Thanks for the positive response, guys! Although it would be great if everyone who volunteers can have their
voice talents used in the game, we have a limited number of characters...
As a result, we will be imposing several criteria on would-be voice actors.

1. You must have and use your own microphone. It's just not feasible for us (or you) to have you fly over to our place
to do the recording.

2. You must send a sample wave of your voice to me (ifs104@NOSPAMpsu.edu). The sample must be small enough
(try to keep it under 1 meg, for both our sakes). Also, try holding the mike above your mouth when you talk,
eliminating most hissing noises. Please use your normal conversation voice (or if you're really talented, you may do an
accent you can consistently talk with). I would prefer it if any non-American accents were genuine.

Here is the script for your audition wave files: (Don't say the words within the parathesis. They are only there to set the mood.)

(cheerful, curious) Hallo, where did everybody go?
(sinister) I thought you might like some help with your sales pitch, sir.
(angry) I'll get blood all over your driveway!
(sad, pensive) There is no glory on the battlefield for me.
With all due respect, sir, I think you watched too many Tarzan movies as an impressionable child.

Thanks!

steven

If we're sending in voice samples, do you actually want us to impersonate ripburger and ben for #'s 2 & 3?

::)Yeah yeah, just kidding. Anyway, I thought your voice acting (admittedly, playing yourselves) in the hidden puzzle of Apprentice was rather good. Are you planning to do most of the voices for the sequel yourselves? How many roles are there, total?

Gregjazz

My voice acting good? You know, it took a couple dozen takes. Dang, whoops, that was confidential information. Sorry about that.

DinghyDog

Well, I hope you've got use for a male american accent. Heh. Although, I'm pretty young, only 15, so if you have some younger character (or I sound old enough...) I'm your man. Actor all the way.

And I wouldn't DREAM of insulting you brits with my british accent...it's okay, if you don't scrutinize it too closely...

-DD
It's yer owld pal Dinghy Dog!!

big brother

Guys, don't worry about how many parts there are.
I'm not even sure myself (at least for Apprentice 2).

For your information, my brother and I might be doing minor roles for characters (but no more than two total). I appreciate the compliment, but we're really not that good. Sorry, Gregor, it's the truth.

Anyways, so it's up to you guys to send in your samples...

Ian

deadworm222_nli

Uhm... *timid voice* Will there be a possibility to turn off the voice acting?

remixor

Couldn't you just delete the voice pack file?  Failing that, there should be an option to not use voice in the game's AGS setup.exe.

(yo there deadworm; AGs.com represent!)
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Gregjazz

* Gregor quickly gets a new email account and auditions for Pib.

What the big brother says is true.

big brother

Go for it, Gregor! hahaha

Actually, so far the only one to send me a sound clip was Hobbes.

Hobbes

deadworm222_nli

Quote from: remix0r on Mon 08/09/2003 19:50:55
Couldn't you just delete the voice pack file?  Failing that, there should be an option to not use voice in the game's AGS setup.exe.

(yo there deadworm; AGs.com represent!)

Whoopeee!! That informations roxors my boxors.... yo remi, btw :D

Raven_Gray

Apprentice was the BOMB, I still think it is the best AGS game I have played (however, that is not to say I have played them all.) The intro was halarious (I play a few RP games) and I have yet to see a GUI/Inventory "picker-upper action" as spiffy. I'm not very well known in the AGS community yet, but I'm working on a game and I would love it if you allowed me to play a part in Aperentice2 . (I havn't done much voice acting, but I've taken a few acting classes :) )I'll send ya my voice and you can tell me what you think. (I wasn't smart enough to find the secret puzzle, but hey. Thats alright.) :)

big brother

The answer to the secret puzzle lies in the Herculean Effort Productions Forums.
http://www.sonic.net/~schlae/herculeaneffort
(click on the forum tab on the left)
You should check it out, since there are a few spoken lines of dialogue.

Actually, there's a early A2 screenie on the boards at:
http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=7231;start=100
In the game, it won't look like it does now, since I made a bunch of changes. It also may need color correction.

Gonchi

I'll send in a sample... haven't got anything better to do.

By the way, in what mood is the last one supposed to be?
I'm here to kick butt and eat rice crackers, and I've got a lot of rice crackers

Raven_Gray

I was wondering the same. I assumed that it would be a sarcastic comeback-like remark in response to somthing silly someone else said?

big brother

Do whatever you want with it.

It was originally a quote from the movie, "The Mean Machine."

Awesome flick, especially if you like prison football.

n3tgraph

If you need a voice with a slight dutch accent, pm me :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk