September MAGS

Started by magintz, Sat 30/08/2003 21:02:58

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

Congratulations to Hobbes for his stunning MAGS game buccaneer. The game really does deserve a round of applause.

MAGS is a competition open to anyone, it is a monthly competition where the previous winner choose's the rules for the next month, and competitors (could be you) make a game withing the month despite graphical or technical skill, so feel free to enter.

Moving on to September with Hobbes rules for this month...

1. Game must be 320 x 200 (320 x 240 also allowed).
2. Ammount of colours is your own decision.
3. It can be in any setting or place.
4. The game *MUST* contain a classic mythical beast outside of its "natural" habitat. E.g. a hydra in New York city.
5. The main character must come into conflict with this creature. Whether the hero wins or not, is up to the creator.
6. If possible, come up with a nice explanation how the creature got there.

Remember:
ALL GAMES MUST BE IN BY 25th SEPTEMBER

Have fun and make yourself a MAGS game.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Privateer Puddin'

good rules but, can i please use 320 x 240

Minimi

I am definatley going to join the MAGS now, (for the first time).
I think it's high time for me, to show some of my potential. I am almost done with Sam&Moos, what I'm actually shouting for months now... but anyway... Í have this great (i hope) idea, and I'm going to make it in flash i guess... no I'm sure... but that just rhymed at flash... so... anyway... I'll post soon some screenie of it ;)

Privateer Puddin'

me too, and ive been here for more than a year :p

Hobbes

Rule addenum:

1a. 320 x 240 is also allowed.

Glad to hear you people like the rules! Am interested to see what games you come up with!

evilspacefart

Hmm... I can work with this. Seems like I'll participate in this MAGS.
You're on, Hobbes!

Paranoia

liked ur last game hobbes :D, i'll give this one a try too, mainly because i can try some things that i'm struggling with in my main project :-\
nice rules BTW

Hobbes

Ishmael

I think I'll also enter, for the first time, if I get my game done by the date... You gave rules to describe my sudden-idea-popped-in-my-head game... 320x240, 16 bit color, set in the present, involves a beast... but I think my beast ain't mystical, which has existed..? Well, I can come up with that easily... Or has there been a warewolf with a birds head?
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Hobbes

As I mentioned, a classical mythical beast is allowed. So a werewolf is all right. But if you want something with a bird's head, I think a Hippogriff is the closest you'll get?

Ishmael

I have drawn a pile of pictures about a warewolf with birds head, but I think I can put up just a normal warewolf aswell...

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Dave Gilbert

Is the 320 x 200 mandatory?  I ask because I wanted to do a short game like this for a while using my current characters (short of a side-quest type of thing like Grundy's "Granny Zombiekiller" demo) and I'm drawing it in hi-res.

Paranoia

this is my meagre attempt for this MAGS "Terence Independent Terminator" or T.I.T. for short.
our wannabe hero has to save the british monarchy (do we really want to?!) from a nasty mythical creature, with our Tel around  no creature is safe...or person..... lets face it the worlds fffffffffffuuu... screwed!   ;D

320 x240
hi color
sound
voice kinda
3 different endings, ones a nice one!
3d images (some borrowed :-[ see creds)

Minimi

Oh my! I really can't win this one! Well, ill just hope that with my superfunny dialogs (ahum!) that ill have influence on your voting :P O well... its just for fun... MY PENGUIN IS GONNA KICK YOU ARSE!

Nostradamus

Looking mighty good Paranoia

Paranoia

i wouldn't panic minimi my script work sucks!!
ty  Nostradamus

Hobbes

Dave, the reason I chose 320 x 200 (or 320 x 240) was because it's quicker to do. And I also had a blast in making Buccaneer once I was working in that resolution. Far more fun to work with than in 640 x 400, as when I was working on The Strange Day.

So, it is one of the rules. But I won't disallow your game to win if it's in 640 x 400. Seeing as you have a good motivation, I think it's allowed.

sergiocornaga

YES!

A fun one, finally.  ;D

Minimi

Well, here are some of my official screenies of the upcoming game. I've been changing the plot abit, and also the drawingstyle, and I'm happy about the results untill now

the walk animation of the main character

an ingame screenshot, wich shows the place you are starting at.

another background for the game, with some footprints of the yeti on the ground, and some ice, and mirroreffect of the icebergs.

aah... only 3weeks to finish the game! :P

sergiocornaga

Shite, I don't stand a chance.

Oh well, maybe next month...  :'(

Paranoia

Quote from: sergiocornaga on Sun 07/09/2003 02:45:18
Shite, I don't stand a chance.

Oh well, maybe next month...  :'(

cause you do! i can do pretty pictures but my story lines are normally crap so you stand a BIG chance, whatever the out come its all practice, any comments be it good or bad help with the next project ;)

ravenfusion

I've got an idea what to do for mine. :)

Bluke4x4

Minimi, I think you used a wrong color because I can see through the white belly of the peinguin in the first screenshot after the walk animation.

Minimi

I know, I'm aware of that, and I fixed it already ;)

But thanks for the advice! ;D

Paranoia

for the first MAGS i've ever  done, i've got a start middle and an end! the end is normally rushed if even thought about! the only thing is its over 5meg zipped because of all the bull shit to hide my lack of scripting skills :-\ and i haven't finished yet! i lied in my earlier post tho, its only got one ending now, but one will do ;)
i'll try and get the file sizes down, hopefully it won't put ppl off, just hope its worth the wait downloading! :-[

Minimi

AAAH YOU LYER! ;) Well, i forgive you!

I do have multiple endings, infact 2. The game will be about 2,5mb compiled and zipped... well... i think about 1,5mb orsomething... maybee ts getting a little bigger, because im also about to add some sound effects and midi music.

Ginny

Ooh, sounds like a great MAGS theme.
I'll enter, that is, If I finish it on time, what with school and stuff. I'll really try though, and if I don't I'll just release it later (probably much later.. :P).

I actually have 3(!) ideas, but after some thinking I chose one. :)

A question: Does the game have to be made alone? I might (though I doubt it) recruit a friend of mine as an artist if not.

I'll probably do it in 320 X 240, letterbox mode, and alter the existing GUI. You probably didn't need to know that, but I'm just brainstorming, heh.
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Hobbes

Glad to see so many people enjoy these rules!

So far we've seen some screenies from Minimi and Paranoia (I like 'em both!), and I was wondering... any more people busy with it? As we're only on the 10th day of September (hah, 20 days left!), I was wondering... who else is actively developing?

Ishmael

I am... Though this week I've been bit lazy. I'll be back on my game with full attention this weekend, at least... :P

Cold As Ice

I wil try too... I whant to ask is the ice troll a mythic creature? Here are some pics:

Soon i will show you the main character.
Here I come... And the hell comes with me!

Hobbes

Trolls? Yup.

Read up on them here.

The Subliminal Messenger

I'm working on an entry, it's called the Pointless Adventures of Hercules. You've got to kill Medusa.

Screenshot:

And that's all you'll see till it's done.
No one told me there were laws AGAINST Public Nudity!

Hobbes

Oh...

...wow...

...that looks awesome!

ravenfusion

Indeed it does, the only fault I can see is that the character looks kinda out of place on the background. Mainly because its sharp and the background is a tiny bit blurry...Either way, good work!

Minimi

argh, only when I see this, I'm about sure I'm not going to win it! grr... well... I'll just continue... with my game heres the status

plot/storyscript : 100%
backgrounds : 80%
Characters : 20%
Objects : 60%
Script : 30%
Sound : 1 completed MIDI, and still some sounds to make. I was considering also speech... but I reconsidered, because I have too less time!

Paranoia

mines turning out to be more of an interative movie rather than a game! lol, i don't think it stand a chance of winning, theres not a  plot, just the  basics, the puzzles or rather easy, it does have 3D backgrounds i'm proud of, 5 animated cut scenes, looping room if i ever get it working, and hopefully its funny!

plot 99% (subject to changes!)
backgrounds 90% (all done but need tidying)
characters 90%(as above)
objects 90% (inventory item scaling tidying)
script 70% (i'm crap at it!)
sound 80% (to sound effects need voice changes)
no music midi yet for the game, end has one

games playable to the end but few script problems, looping room script to do, walk to spots, messages oh and spell check! last room misses out a lump of actions, and i can't see why

my mythical character is a gorgon too :-\ must be right nasty b*tches always causing trouble!

Evil

Does the Lock Ness Monster count? And is anybody else using the Lock Ness Monster?

Ginny

Heh, hilariously, I was choosing between 3 creatures and one was the Loch ness monster (I like to call him/her/it Nessy ;), but in the end I chose another one. I think it counts because it's technically a kelpie. :)

My creature is extremely cliche (insuring that noone will use it :P) but also with a twist. Ehem.

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Evil

When I started I was like 'Wait, Spaceghost isnt a mythalogical creature...' so it totally blew that idea. Hopefully I can use it someother time. :)

I dont really mind if there is another Lock Ness monster game but I wanted to make shure they didnt care...

Paranoia

i think nessie would be cool, they say theres two of em anyway! i don;t think it matters if there is two character the same, i very much doubt someone one has the same warped mind as me so the games won't be the same anyway, the gorgon in my game is simply the goul, it could be anything, well not nessie, theres no water! ;)

Ginny

I wouldn't care even if I were making it about Nessy, because the two creatures would still be different. My story for the Loch Ness monster sucked though, so I left it alone, might develop it someday to a better one. The creature I chose can be so varied that even if someone else chooses it they'll be totally different ;).

Well, it's a dragon. But there's a twist, which you'll find out in the end of the game.

Minimi

I had same problem, I chose king kong, but it wasnt mythical monster, so i chose the yeti. In my game I will show you finally who the yeti is, and what he does, and why he does it!
Hope to see all your works completed! That would come to something like 5 entry's!

Hobbes

Which would mean a very intriguing month!

Ishmael

Does it count if the creature hides in shadows, talks with the character and gets shot, is dead, and carried away in the darkness? Just courious, because I have a wierd urge to skip trying to draw any mythical beasts... or do ghost's coung? :P

Minimi

actually I have the same problem, but I figured I'd make first the whole game, and at the end I'm drawing the beast. I also have some trouble with it, though i think I'll manage it, cause I grabbed some example pictures of a Yeti from google ;)

Hobbes

I personally love horror movies where the "Evil Bad Thing" is *NOT* revealed. Usually, once these dark things are brought to the screen, they're often ridiculously lame.

Take "End of Days" for example... the CGI devil at the end was just laughable. The rest of the movie was enjoyable, though. Even with Arnold's non-acting.
Or, that Stephen King TV movie... The Langoliers. Excellent, wonderfully spooky. That is, until the Langoliers themselves come to the screen. They're very very badly done in CGI and make the entire TV movie a laughable thing.

So, if you wish to go for drama, darkness and suspense and find yourself unable to draw the beast, then by all means: hide it in the shadows!

However, if your game is supposed to be comical, how much damage can it do? ;)

(P.S. But seriously: Do whatever suits you best. Featuring a mythical creature doesn't neccessarily mean it should be completely on the screen, right?)

(P.S.2. However, if done properly... it would rock.)

Ginny

While we're on the subject of rules, I'm thinking ahead, and I wondered if I can use music and/or sound effects downloaded from the net? I might have a go at music, but my mic doesn't work so I can't record sound effects.

I'll have to draw the creature I'm afraid.. I hope to find some images on google too, so that it would become easier. :)

Hobbes

Sound: Everything is allowed. :)

Paranoia

i am really glad you sed sound's allowed coz my game would be very short and boring without it! theres only one voice effect which could be dodgy ground and thats Homer Simpson saying one word, times ticking away and i dunno if i will get time to change it, when do the games need to be in by? 25th?

Hobbes

Quote from: Magintz on Sat 30/08/2003 21:02:58
Remember:
ALL GAMES MUST BE IN BY 25th SEPTEMBER

Have fun and make yourself a MAGS game.

Er. Yeah.

;)

Paranoia

sorry Hobbes. i've got so much to do i didn't have time to back track thro the thread, :-[

Ginny

Actually, I was wondering about the date too, because

Quote from: Hobbes on Wed 10/09/2003 15:50:05As we're only on the 10th day of September (hah, 20 days left)

which would imply the 30th, so thanks for clarifying :)

GAh, damn school is taking up all my time, but I'm determined to do a lot of work suring the weekend. I'll post a screen then aswell :)

Minimi

I'm also not making much of a progress, but monday and tuesday.. next week im free from school, and I'm planning to finish it in these 4 days... saturday, till tuesday. I hope I get this finished... it would be a waste if I couldnt get it finished!

Paranoia

my feeble attempt is done, i think!  :-\ see complete games for more  details or just download it!
TIT.zip, 7.5meg
sorry its such a big file

Evil

Shite, I dont know if I can figure out how to use ags anymore! :-p Maybe I can get lgm to make it for me :)... If not I dont know if I can get it in on time. I'll try my best.
YAR!

Hobbes

Five days to go....

...the excitement!

Pet Terry

Minimi, finish your game, I want to play it :P That midi you made had a bit same feeling in it as in RLBAT

Paranoia, I'll try to play your game aswell, it just takes years to download it because I'm on dial-up...
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Minimi

IM TRYING IM TRYING....

damnit!  :P

Evil

SHIT! ONLY FIVE DAYS! AGGGH! Leave it to me to start evey mags late...

taryuu

here we go!  With a couple of days to spare!!

Genbu's Favour by taryuu productions

WARNING the game contains some cursing and suggestive situations.  so there you go.

Also if anyone has any free space to host this it'd be appreciated.  I don't know how long it's going to hold up.

http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://genbusfavour.tripod.com/Genbu.zip

right-click save link as
I like having low self-esteem.  It makes me feel special.

taryuu?

Minimi

well mine is finished.. check the finished games forum! ;)

taryuu

my norton antivirus detected a virus in the zip file. win32.pinfi

then it said that the file was repaired.  and now the game won't run.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.pinfi.html

EDIT - The new version of the game no longer has a virus.  for those who downloaded it prior,  follow the link for removal instructions.

taryuu?

Minimi

just this one question... Could anyone explain to me how the voting works, and how you'll enter your vote? Or is Hobbes the one to select the winner??

taryuu

i assume magintz will update the mags site after today.

http://www.mags-competition.tk/

howver he hasn't said anything since the first post so i don't know.  time is ticking.

taryuu?

Klaus

Hi Minimi, hello taryuu.

Here are some words about the coming vote: Back in April this year I set up the MAGS website that also includes a voting system. Each time a new entry is posted here I add it to the games list on the site that also works as the database for the monthly vote. Now when the deadline is reached Magintz is giving me a sign to activate the voting system.

At that point there are two ways to vote for your favourite game: I'll post a summary of all entries to this forum. You can directly send your vote by clicking on the name of the game in that message then. The click is your vote. The other way is to visit the MAGS website and switch to the voting area. Here you can also see the summary of all games of the month. It works the same way: The click on the name is your vote. Only one vote is accepted by each person. So if you revisit the MAGS website during the voting period it should show what you chose before.

At the end of the voting period Magintz is posting the winner to this thread. That's also the sign for me to close the system. For a short time then you can see how many people voted for what game in a small statistics on the MAGS site until the new competition starts. That's how it works. :)

By the way: The MAGS voting has nothing to do with the vote on the AGS games list! Just in case someone was thinking of something like that...

Well, Hobbes made a very great job as a host for this month's competition and I think that's the reason for Magintz being so silent as none of his helping words were needed so far. :)

Ginny

I just need to finish up a few little things and I'll release it today... It'll be a demo so it might not actually count (all those school trips this week were exhausting, so I didn't get to work on it much) but I'll release it anyway... Just a little longer...

Ishmael

What time do the games need to be in? 00:00 GTM? I got like the end cutscene and some fixes to go... Will you accept my game if it goes a bit over midnight? I'm sure if I got net then, so I'll in that case have to cut it short...  ::)

Minimi

Hm... I just fixed the final bugs in my MAGS game, so if you saw it WITH bugs... it's now without ;) I hope that GinnyW and TK will release their games today! That makes 5 entry's!!

magintz

Puddy Penguin by Minimi
Genbu's Favour by Taryuu
T.I.T by Paranoi

I'll wait to see if TK and Ginny finish their games, so HURRY UP ._. k
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Paranoia

i don't mind waiting abit longer for tk and ginnyw, i know rules are rules but they've changed throughout MAGS so another day won't hurt

Ishmael

I now could really use a couple of days extra  :'( I lost like an hour of work, because AGS told my #define'd vars were "undefined symobols"... So I gotta do the end cutscene all over again.

Paranoia

magintz

I grant thee till the 28th...

Ginny

*Ginny bows to Magintz, the benevolant god of MAGS...

I will release a sort of one-room intro which ends in To Be Continued, and then work on the rest of it right away :)

Minimi

hmm.. then I'm going to add some sound to my game, to improve it! ;) .. and an intro!

Paranoia

ok i'll redo all my puzzles, 20 more rooms....
the idea was to help tk and ginnyw, not for me,minimi and Taryuu to rebuild ours! the entry posted should be the game thats entered, look i don't care, i entered mine bugs n all what i entered is what ppl get, fixing bugs is all well and good but adding more is going to far

Minimi

I was sarcastic, just like you paranoia ;)... I'm happy with my game as it is! ;)

Ginny

Ok, I finished a bare-bones intro, it's here:

Dragonscale: The Encounter (non encounter really :P)

http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://102269515.home.icq.com/DS.zip

The following 3 days are a holiday, so I'll have more free time to work.

Actually I think it's perfectly fine if someone improves or fixes their game some more until the 23rd. ;)

Good night :)

Minimi

I can't download it, it won't give me access :(

Ginny

Heh, ok, edited it (I noticed it too, damn icq server..). Hope it works now :)

Minimi

It seems like it's going to be a sweet nice game. Just my style! I loved the joke about something 2875... long before my time :P
though.. i must say.. that in more than 1000 years.. they houses haven't changed much :P

Ishmael

I can't say else now but thank you! I worked long last night, and got this done:

http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/tk/McReedCase.zip

The McReed Case
- 320x240 res
- 16 bit color
- 31 rooms
- 15 inv items
- 7 characters
- quite lot of dialog
- One secret trick :P
- Midi music, most by Trapezoid, some I just found on my hd...
- Point countin (nothing further... I had planned things, but the time sorta ran out, and I don't want to start screwing around)

I'm planning on releasing a sort of extendet version, which includes bugs fixed, animation, more puzzles, more rooms (places you couldn't go to), more inv items, and other things I didn't/couldn't/hadn't got time to add.

The game does not contain bad visua/audiall content or bad language, exept the secret thingy has one "dammit" and in the end you see a bloody monster... does those count?

In case I have ignored or impersonated someone in this post or the game, I appologize.

Minimi

omg... i fired the gun at the warewolf and I couldn't get to see it? :( Did I finished the game now, or not, because I didn't save it! :(

Very nice game btw... pretty long game for a MAGS and you done some nice graphics!

TK@SchoolComp

Did you get yourself killed? :P As I think I said, I had not time to animate the events... I hope I get to release the extended... ;)

Ginny

Quote from: Minimi on Thu 25/09/2003 23:08:17
It seems like it's going to be a sweet nice game. Just my style! I loved the joke about something 2875... long before my time :P
though.. i must say.. that in more than 1000 years.. they houses haven't changed much :P

Heh, well, in the full game there's an explenation for this actually, because it's somewhat connected to the main character's choice of proffession.
Did you try using the house, btw?

Anyway, glad you like the style, though when it comes to graphics the only things I like are the GUI and the main character's front and back (I had no idea side views were so difficult :P). I enjoyed scripting a lot :D

TK@SomeComp

Now I must re-comment that last one... I wil try to do some fixes on it during the weekend, if I find any major bugs or lacks or anything, and for Minimi I'll try to animate the end battle... not to raise my chances in winning! :P You know... I seem to jump from no-my-comp to not-my-comp today... gotta get back on on my own to see if there's something I can do with my game...  ::)

straston

Quote from: TK@SomeComp on Fri 26/09/2003 10:04:03
Now I must re-comment that last one... I wil try to do some fixes on it during the weekend, if I find any major bugs or lacks or anything, and for Minimi I'll try to animate the end battle... not to raise my chances in winning! :P You know... I seem to jump from no-my-comp to not-my-comp today... gotta get back on on my own to see if there's something I can do with my game...  ::)

Hi, TK

Nice game... but... well, maybe if you edit it anyway, could you change the talking colur of the main character? Dark blue on black is so hard to read!

Bye,

Straston

Ginny

Minime: Is the talking color I used ok? It took me a while to pick one, since the default one was hard to read.

Minimi

Yes, the talking colour is in my opinion ok!

Ishmael

Sorry 'bout that... I used a Black-n-Blue style in the beginning of production, and left it there... I'll use my own standard for new projects, white :P

I made some unchantments, like closeup and shooting animation for Scott in the end scene, some dialog fixes, bug fixes, and other minor fixes...

I got an updated version ready, just need to change the talking color... But I won't be able to upload it untill tomorrow evening..

Btw, has anyone found the so called secret? :P

magintz

tick tock, tick tock

I will allow 8h 24 minutes (8pm here)

Then I will get the voting started.

Ishmael

I count that 10pm here?

White didn't fit as Scott's talking color... It messed the game up in my opinion. And I have no problem reading it.

I have fixed more bugs today... like the one if you first get your mail, then talk to boss, then get the gun and keys in order, you can't leave the police station.

Ginny

Ishmael

Updated: http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/tk/McReedCase.zip

and original: http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/tk/McReedCase1.zip

And I solved the player speech color problem ;D

I trust the correct one is set for the voting subject, and I honor the decision made.

Ginny

Whew, finished... There might be some bugs, but never mind. Sorry for the delay, I couldn't get the creature right(and resolved in the end to not drawing it at all :P).

So here it is:
http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://102269515.home.icq.com/DS.zip

Klaus

Okay, now all entries are in and we can start right in time...
For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

The McReed Case by TK
Terence Independent Terminator by Paranoia
Puddy Penguin by Minimi
Genbus Favour by taryuu
Dragonscale by GinnyW

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Ishmael

Just wondering... has anyone finished my game? :P I know some people have had problems in it...

Klaus

I am really sad: One of the participants added the direct vote link for his game to another forum. He only commented this entry with the line "Dit is echt een hele mooie site, moet je echt zien!!". There's no mention of a contest, none of the other entries, not even a slightliy idea of what's behind that link. So if someone clicks on that link the game gets a voice. This is no fair play!
Just some days ago I made clear how the voting works: Either using the posted summary in this threads or by a visit to the MAGS site! I'll now discuss with Magintz and Jannar if this entry should be completely disqualified or if just the votes transmitted via this "bad" link should be deleted.

Paranoia

FFS, to think i was all for giving ppl more time to finish their games, i'll be rather pissed off if it is one of the people that got the extra time, is winning that feckin important? >:(

Minimi

To tell you all the truth... I'm really crying here behind my pc. I can't blame the bad past of my youth for this, because I'm responsible for my own actions, but I always had to prove myself that I could do something good, but everything always went wrong. So with this competition, I thought it was a way to show that I'm sooo good at programming and things, and that I do am good at something, but I only feel sad about what happened. I have acted really like asz on IRC lately, where I got banned, I said some things to others I didn't ment... I made apologizes... I'm posting too much, and now I'm cheating at a competition that is just there for fun... and I feel like I now really damaged the trust.

I don't feel like apologizing anymore, because it seems to be only a word of my side, so what I'm going to do is just say nothing, and have regret of everything, and I think you'll be all mad at me, so I'm leaving for at least some time and I'll probably come back later, probably to announce another game... but I really must say that I hate myself for this.

All I actually tried was to be someone nice to all and a helping person, but it turns out I'm screwing everything up. I actually don't even know anymore what you think of me, I guess you just think I'm a screwed up nerd... or maybee I'm thinking that I'm that... so I think it becomes time to leave the forum for a while and just say goodbye... and I'll see if my game get's disqualified or not. I did cheated...so it should be, though I really hope that that won't happen.

I don't know what to say anymore, so I'll just stop now, because im pretty sad and disappointed in myself. They say shit happens... but it just seems like I'm too deep in the shit that I can't seem to manage to get out of it.

Finally I am going to say sorry to all, and I hope I did something good for someone... and I hope you won't stay mad at me.

Ishmael

I would say just delete the extra votes, since his game is one among the others, and it deserves to be evalueted be the community, as just one game, without mixing the author's recent deeds/sayings, because we are all humans, and humans can make mistakes, right?

I know I have screwed things up a great few times, but seems I have allways managed to overcome them, because either no-one has said badly to me about it, or I have just ignored the crap spilled at me.

Be it either because of trouble with parents, trouble with freinds, trouble with school, or anything else that can effect our way of thinking and acting, we can all make mistakes, especially if we are not thinking clearly.

SSH

Minimi,

You have been one of the most productive n00bs I've seen in the time I've been at the forums. You do seem to keep saying or doing things and regretting them. If you stick to posting to Tech forums, Critics Lounge and the Games In production for a while it might do you some good, and your games will get more work done on them.

I think you should withdraw your game from the competition yourself before you are kicked out. You will get more respect that way. It's not as if money is at stake, anyway!

When I was a teenager I upset a lot of people, including my ex-sister-in-law. I may have even contributed to my brother's divorce. That's water under the bridge now, but try to think a bit more before posting in the chit-chat/general forums or on IRC: think "Might this upset someone?" if so: don't do it!

but, it's not the end of the world. And if you spend more time making games and less posting, you will earn respect and make people happy. That's got to be worth doing.

I was a bit annoyed with you myself when you forgot to put my entry in the OQ competition and then didn't correct your mistake after I pointed it out, but it's not important as its only  for fun. Don't take anything that hapens here too heavily!

I think your games look fun and good, so keep up the good work on them!

EDIT: When it comes down to it, the coolest guys on this board are probably the most adult-behaving ones: guys like CJ, Chrille, Dave Gilbert, etc. Hey, sometimes they mess about but I think they're pretty good role models (for AGS-related things anyway: in real-life they're all sad guys with no friends  ;) )

Paranoia is right about having a life, too. I was probably similar to you at 16 (many years aggooooo), but now I've got a wife and a baby. In fact, my games were made for them, so it's all to the good!

Paranoia

this is my opinion,  whatever happens as far as the mags goes i can't say...
hats off to you man for coming foward, it takes a lot of guts, the only complain i have of you is you try to hard, thats why you get yourself in the shit.
i don't know if anyone one this forum likes me, i don't go out of my way to get noticed, i have never gone into chat, but i get help, someone says my game is good or crap, well great i'll improve on it, if someone agrees to something i say, well it makes my day! but your trying to prove something, you say you've had it hard in the past, live for tomorrow mate
whatever happens, take a break, and step back and look at yourself, you have a life beyond computers and games.. i love computers and the people i've met, but they screw up your life if you let them, you stop living..... i bet you are going to say "but i have no friends" and why? computers!

taryuu

drama drama drama.  

one thing however.  let's assume for the sake of argument that we continue the voting normally.  minimi doesn't withdraw and isn't disqualified we just take away the illegal votes.  and then for the sake of argument we'll assume that minimi wins.  then what?  congragulations all around?  way to go, excellent game! what are the rules for next month minimi?

i don't think so.  i agree with ssh.  hopefully minimi will withdraw before any other action becomes neccesary.  

taryuu?

TK-Somewhere

I still say you just delete the extra votes, and if Minimi wins, then he does. So? He get's to decide the next MAGS rules, and that's it. I'd think it's fair for everyone, since this is the first time, to let him off with a warning. Now we know this can cause disgualification, and so we will all avoid it.

I think SSH had a good point in the posting issue. It's not neccesary to leave the forum, and I wish you won't do it. You've been a good member of the community, in my opinion. Everyone can make mistakes, right? Just hold on posting to some of the forums for some time, like a month, or two, just how you feel.

I don't dislike anyone in the community, allthough some people are occasionally annoying, but I don't let it to disturb my everyday life.

I do have friends, not many, and I spend a lot of time on computer. The thing is balance between them... I haven't achived it, I spend too much time on computer, but it was neccesary for me to get my game done. Now I'm trying to loose on it, and start working on new project some time in the near future...

It's also about personality. If you are shy, or think people will dislike you, no matter what, it's much harder to make friends... and if you don't know the others already, like heard about their personality, it's even harder. But hey, there's lots of people on the world. I belive we all have a cousin in fate (???), someone, who is in the same sitiuation as we are.

If Minimi's game wins, then he decides the next moths rules, and people make games based on them. No-one should start insulting him for all this. We shuold let this little incedent slide away, but bear in mind the warning this gave us.

TK-StillSomewhere

[quote user=Hobbes]I personally love horror movies where the "Evil Bad Thing" is *NOT* revealed. Usually, once these dark things are brought to the screen, they're often ridiculously lame.

Well, you got opinion on mine? :P

(Sorry this machine wont let me log in... had to post twice...  :-[)

Klaus

I think it's time now for all to calm down again. The "extra" votes are deleted and that "special" link no longer exists. All should have fun with the MAGS competition and everyone is nice as long as you are nice. TK already stated my intention:
QuoteNow we know this can cause disgualification, and so we will all avoid it.

Minimi outed himself as "the one" an so it's okay. Everyone did his/her best to create a nice little game and to entertain the people here. There is never a real loser in this competition: Every game has its pros and cons, some like the first one's style, others love the second one's plot and don't forget the third one's animations,... So except from creating a game also giving your vote really is not the easiest thing to do. Of course in the end there's one winner, but all the others follow up close as the second winner. Always.

At the moment only Magintz, Jannar and me do know about the current result and about how much (or even if) the "extra" votes made a change to it. I'll keep it to this and for this month I decided not to show the statistics at the end of the voting...

Now don't think about it anymore and wait for Magintz to announce the winner. But never forget the number one rule for MAGS: Enjoy :)

magintz

This month was very close, we had plenty of good games (although I feel ashamed I havn't had time to play any of them, but soon I will :D)

There was some trouble with Minimi and his "problem", but all that ahs been dealt with, everything is back to how it was and we are not going to disqualify him because this is a fun competition.

This month was very fun and it seems very odd that this may be the first time this has happened, but we have a draw!

Yes you heard me! a draw, between Puddy Penguin by Minimi and Genbus Favour by taryuu.

What we shall do is let mini-mi and taryuu each send me their suggestions for the rules and I shall decide upon a happy medium, please try to get your ideas to me ASAP, as the extension of this month has not left much time to organise next month.

Ishmael

whow! ;D Congratiulations to both of you!

Minimi

Thanks Magintz and TK! Congratulations taryuu, you are absolutely an earned winner with that game of yours.

Evil

Yeah! Good job you guys. Psst, can one of you two (or both) mention a fixed pallet... I love those things... :)

Paranoia

Quote from: Evil on Tue 30/09/2003 21:30:08
Yeah! Good job you guys. Psst, can one of you two (or both) mention a fixed pallet... I love those things... :)

*gulp* limited pallete?! kinda fecks up 3d stuff! :-\
well done taryuu...... minimi well..... i hope you learn something from this m8

Evil

Limited pallets give you a reason to try something new. Hey maybe do some cell shading. That would be cool...

Paranoia

question is.....
if it is in the next MAGS rules,are you gonna join in evil??  ;) :D

Evil

Lol, every month I atleast start a game. Most of the time I barly get one room done, though usually the case is that I dont have any time. I now have a game in progress that I think is universial, mostly concept art. I promissed myself that I wouldnt start late so I started earily... :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk