September MAGS

Started by magintz, Sat 30/08/2003 21:02:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Ishmael

I would say just delete the extra votes, since his game is one among the others, and it deserves to be evalueted be the community, as just one game, without mixing the author's recent deeds/sayings, because we are all humans, and humans can make mistakes, right?

I know I have screwed things up a great few times, but seems I have allways managed to overcome them, because either no-one has said badly to me about it, or I have just ignored the crap spilled at me.

Be it either because of trouble with parents, trouble with freinds, trouble with school, or anything else that can effect our way of thinking and acting, we can all make mistakes, especially if we are not thinking clearly.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

SSH

Minimi,

You have been one of the most productive n00bs I've seen in the time I've been at the forums. You do seem to keep saying or doing things and regretting them. If you stick to posting to Tech forums, Critics Lounge and the Games In production for a while it might do you some good, and your games will get more work done on them.

I think you should withdraw your game from the competition yourself before you are kicked out. You will get more respect that way. It's not as if money is at stake, anyway!

When I was a teenager I upset a lot of people, including my ex-sister-in-law. I may have even contributed to my brother's divorce. That's water under the bridge now, but try to think a bit more before posting in the chit-chat/general forums or on IRC: think "Might this upset someone?" if so: don't do it!

but, it's not the end of the world. And if you spend more time making games and less posting, you will earn respect and make people happy. That's got to be worth doing.

I was a bit annoyed with you myself when you forgot to put my entry in the OQ competition and then didn't correct your mistake after I pointed it out, but it's not important as its only  for fun. Don't take anything that hapens here too heavily!

I think your games look fun and good, so keep up the good work on them!

EDIT: When it comes down to it, the coolest guys on this board are probably the most adult-behaving ones: guys like CJ, Chrille, Dave Gilbert, etc. Hey, sometimes they mess about but I think they're pretty good role models (for AGS-related things anyway: in real-life they're all sad guys with no friends  ;) )

Paranoia is right about having a life, too. I was probably similar to you at 16 (many years aggooooo), but now I've got a wife and a baby. In fact, my games were made for them, so it's all to the good!

Paranoia

this is my opinion,  whatever happens as far as the mags goes i can't say...
hats off to you man for coming foward, it takes a lot of guts, the only complain i have of you is you try to hard, thats why you get yourself in the shit.
i don't know if anyone one this forum likes me, i don't go out of my way to get noticed, i have never gone into chat, but i get help, someone says my game is good or crap, well great i'll improve on it, if someone agrees to something i say, well it makes my day! but your trying to prove something, you say you've had it hard in the past, live for tomorrow mate
whatever happens, take a break, and step back and look at yourself, you have a life beyond computers and games.. i love computers and the people i've met, but they screw up your life if you let them, you stop living..... i bet you are going to say "but i have no friends" and why? computers!

taryuu

drama drama drama.  

one thing however.  let's assume for the sake of argument that we continue the voting normally.  minimi doesn't withdraw and isn't disqualified we just take away the illegal votes.  and then for the sake of argument we'll assume that minimi wins.  then what?  congragulations all around?  way to go, excellent game! what are the rules for next month minimi?

i don't think so.  i agree with ssh.  hopefully minimi will withdraw before any other action becomes neccesary.  
I like having low self-esteem.  It makes me feel special.

taryuu?

TK-Somewhere

I still say you just delete the extra votes, and if Minimi wins, then he does. So? He get's to decide the next MAGS rules, and that's it. I'd think it's fair for everyone, since this is the first time, to let him off with a warning. Now we know this can cause disgualification, and so we will all avoid it.

I think SSH had a good point in the posting issue. It's not neccesary to leave the forum, and I wish you won't do it. You've been a good member of the community, in my opinion. Everyone can make mistakes, right? Just hold on posting to some of the forums for some time, like a month, or two, just how you feel.

I don't dislike anyone in the community, allthough some people are occasionally annoying, but I don't let it to disturb my everyday life.

I do have friends, not many, and I spend a lot of time on computer. The thing is balance between them... I haven't achived it, I spend too much time on computer, but it was neccesary for me to get my game done. Now I'm trying to loose on it, and start working on new project some time in the near future...

It's also about personality. If you are shy, or think people will dislike you, no matter what, it's much harder to make friends... and if you don't know the others already, like heard about their personality, it's even harder. But hey, there's lots of people on the world. I belive we all have a cousin in fate (???), someone, who is in the same sitiuation as we are.

If Minimi's game wins, then he decides the next moths rules, and people make games based on them. No-one should start insulting him for all this. We shuold let this little incedent slide away, but bear in mind the warning this gave us.

TK-StillSomewhere

[quote user=Hobbes]I personally love horror movies where the "Evil Bad Thing" is *NOT* revealed. Usually, once these dark things are brought to the screen, they're often ridiculously lame.

Well, you got opinion on mine? :P

(Sorry this machine wont let me log in... had to post twice...  :-[)

Klaus

I think it's time now for all to calm down again. The "extra" votes are deleted and that "special" link no longer exists. All should have fun with the MAGS competition and everyone is nice as long as you are nice. TK already stated my intention:
QuoteNow we know this can cause disgualification, and so we will all avoid it.

Minimi outed himself as "the one" an so it's okay. Everyone did his/her best to create a nice little game and to entertain the people here. There is never a real loser in this competition: Every game has its pros and cons, some like the first one's style, others love the second one's plot and don't forget the third one's animations,... So except from creating a game also giving your vote really is not the easiest thing to do. Of course in the end there's one winner, but all the others follow up close as the second winner. Always.

At the moment only Magintz, Jannar and me do know about the current result and about how much (or even if) the "extra" votes made a change to it. I'll keep it to this and for this month I decided not to show the statistics at the end of the voting...

Now don't think about it anymore and wait for Magintz to announce the winner. But never forget the number one rule for MAGS: Enjoy :)

magintz

This month was very close, we had plenty of good games (although I feel ashamed I havn't had time to play any of them, but soon I will :D)

There was some trouble with Minimi and his "problem", but all that ahs been dealt with, everything is back to how it was and we are not going to disqualify him because this is a fun competition.

This month was very fun and it seems very odd that this may be the first time this has happened, but we have a draw!

Yes you heard me! a draw, between Puddy Penguin by Minimi and Genbus Favour by taryuu.

What we shall do is let mini-mi and taryuu each send me their suggestions for the rules and I shall decide upon a happy medium, please try to get your ideas to me ASAP, as the extension of this month has not left much time to organise next month.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Ishmael

whow! ;D Congratiulations to both of you!
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Minimi

Thanks Magintz and TK! Congratulations taryuu, you are absolutely an earned winner with that game of yours.

Evil

Yeah! Good job you guys. Psst, can one of you two (or both) mention a fixed pallet... I love those things... :)

Paranoia

Quote from: Evil on Tue 30/09/2003 21:30:08
Yeah! Good job you guys. Psst, can one of you two (or both) mention a fixed pallet... I love those things... :)

*gulp* limited pallete?! kinda fecks up 3d stuff! :-\
well done taryuu...... minimi well..... i hope you learn something from this m8

Evil

Limited pallets give you a reason to try something new. Hey maybe do some cell shading. That would be cool...

Paranoia

question is.....
if it is in the next MAGS rules,are you gonna join in evil??  ;) :D

Evil

Lol, every month I atleast start a game. Most of the time I barly get one room done, though usually the case is that I dont have any time. I now have a game in progress that I think is universial, mostly concept art. I promissed myself that I wouldnt start late so I started earily... :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk