Tune contest, 19.9. to 26.9.

Started by Fuzzpilz, Fri 19/09/2003 01:40:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzpilz

Panic! Waagh!

That's the theme this week (since people don't like theoretical or otherwise technical restrictions :P). Entries should evoke a frantic struggle to escape from whatever, like the police, or having to clean the bathroom, or a blasphemous monstrosity from beyond the stars raining torment from a burning sky, or your neighbour's dog, or angry pirates (considering it's the 19th). Anything's fine, as long as it sounds like OH CRAP THEY'RE COMING FOR ME.

Have fun, and best of luck. Rar.

EldKatt

Firstly I want to point out that I for one really like theoretical or otherwise technical restrictions. So how about this: Everyone who doesn't have anything against technical restrictions raise their hands (well, sorta), and we'll have some statistics to go on for future competitions. :P

And secondly I want to point out that that's a very nice idea (for a non-technical one ;)). I'm most certainly in.

loominous

One of the reasons why I enjoy activities of this sort is that they make me abandon my usual patterns. So the more detailed the specifications, the further away it usually takes me.

So I guess my arm is raised.
Looking for a writer

Adamski

Yarr, my arm also be bein' raised.

Ghormak

It depends. I like some rules, and I dislike some rules, be they technical or not.

But I have to say I'm more fond of rules such as this one and the one Archangel had about making a love theme, for instance. I'd love to see the contests being more geared towards making background music for situations in a potential game, rather than obeying technical restrictions.

Btw, I'm so making a song for this at the moment.

Arr.
Achtung Franz! The comic

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

I think that there should be a sensible limit on how technical the rules get. Some people just don't have a formal musical education, and to close the contest to them for the sake of being esoteric would be pretty unfair. Maybe we could say, you can make rules about instrumentation, theme or length, but nothing much more complex?

Moresco

Excuse the wife coughing in the background :)

I coulda made it really long, and really intense and make you go...AHH I get the feeling like I'm tired of the song! But I decided not to. Lucky for yous!

Tied In Flames
::: Mastodon :::

Ghormak

OH NO

A short and strangeCommodore 64 tune, which can best be described as a fast paced tune containing elements of classical music, power metal and chromatic weirdness.

http://www.agagames.com/ghormak/sids/ohno.sid

Non-sid version coming up later tonight for the Sidplayer impaired people.

Edit:
By "later tonight", I apparently mean a few minutes later.

Here:
http://www.agagames.com/ghormak/sids/ohno.ogg
Achtung Franz! The comic

Meowster

I picture the boss at the end of a level from a Duke-Dukem type game from 1990 or earlier.

I really like it :)

Moresco

I like that tune Ghormak, with the exception of that really high note...

This reminds me of some kind of Final Fantasy battle-fair.  Or like yufster said, a boss theme. Really nice tune :)
::: Mastodon :::

EldKatt

My, people are fast. I'm... about to start working on it. ;D

remixor

Argh, I'm really disappointed I missed last week's contest.  For some reason I didn't visit the forums at all since my post saying "I think I'll be putting my song up late" :P  I'm not sure why.  In any case, I think I'll be able to bang something out for this one.  The stuff already here is looking really good!
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

EldKatt

All done.

Well, not quite... This is practically a draft of what I intended it to be, but However, I'm giving it to you as it is, despite the structural flaws it has. Yay. Anyway, it's a solo piano peice, and I've made no attempts to make sure it's playable. Well, it is if you're skilled enough, but I've made no attempts to make it easy to play.

This is the Sibelius/Scorch version:
http://biphome.spray.se/erik.igelstrom/agsf/030923_EldKatt_tune_contest.htm

And this is the MID version: http://biphome.spray.se/erik.igelstrom/agsf/030923_EldKatt_tune_contest.mid

I very much recommend the Sibelius version (first link), since the MID version has a bunch of problems (mostly thanks to the format's 250 BPM tempo limit) that the Sibelius version doesn't have. (If you don't have it, get Scorch (Sibelius file reader) here. It's free. :P)

loominous

The composition is amazingly bad, the melody needs to be reworked but I like the general sound of it:

http://w1.865.telia.com/~u86517123/Downloadable_2/entry_030924_mix1.ogg

I m likely to update with a modified version. Mid will be added.

Edit: Here s the cakewalk file for the time being:

http://w1.865.telia.com/~u86517123/Downloadable_2/entry%20030924.wrk
Looking for a writer

DNA

kinda poor, i just slapped it together.

Run Bad Monkey

edit: decided +700k was way to big so i lowered the bitrate and converted to mono.

remixor

loominous: Somehow reminds me of something you'd hear in a James Bond movie :)  Too bad it ends so soon

Eldkatt: Good stuff; I'm glad someone decided to do something different from what one would expect in this compo

Fuzzpilz

Right. Sorry to make you miss the deadline again, remixor, but it really is time to judge. Maybe you'll make it next time. :)

And I give next week to... EldKatt again, though it's a bit awkward to just hand the reins back.
Good work all around - but to me DNA's and loominous' entries didn't sound very panicky at all. If you disagree - remember, I'm just some idiot on the Global InterCybernetic iNetWeb (dot com). Don't take it personally. :)

EldKatt

Woo! Yay! Thanks guys. :) And good work everyone else, too. New contest will appear soonish, as soon as I think of something.

remixor

Fuzz: Arrgh, don't worry, it's my fault of course :)  I flew out of town this weekend to see Radiohead, so I didn't get a chance to finish what I was working on.  It was worth it though!  Great show.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk