Grundislav's First Game Ever: The Secret of Carver Island

Started by Grundislav, Sun 21/09/2003 18:22:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

I've debated it, and it's been long enough so I've decided to publicly release the first game I ever made with AGS, "The Secret of Carver Island."

Now for some explanation.

I went to George Washington Carver Middle School for 6th to 8th grade, and while I was there I started playing adventure games, most notably the Monkey Island games. So, like every other aspiring adventure game creator out there, I wanted to make my own Monkey Island.  I used to pass the time daydreaming about what my school would be like in a Monkey Island universe, substituting teachers for villians and myself for the hero. You know, typical 14-year-old-nerd behavior.

Anyway, I first made this game with Klik and Play, and it sucked. Then when I found AGS a couple of years back I decided that as a test I would try remaking Carver Island.  That test turned into a full game, which is what you are about to download. Since then I decided to make it a trilogy, and have completed the 2nd game. For the past 2 years I've been working on part 3, which explains why all my other proposed games have taken so long. Yes, the cat's out of the bag now.

So enough babbling from me. Enjoy this horrible Monkey Island ripoff, starring me as the main character and all the people I went to school with as the supporting cast.  And please forgive the lack of originality, hotspots, and graphics.  It was my first game, after all.

http://www.agagames.com/grundislav/games/carver.zip

I may release the 2nd game if people don't hate this one too much.

EDIT:

Here's some screenshots, and also note that this was made 2 years ago so it's a DOS game, which might raise some incompatibility issues.

Czar

well i'm just downloading it, bu you could've put some screens...
Guess i'll have to go to my win98 to play this, so i'll tell you about my experience lat0rZ.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Artphreak555

I downloaded your game but when i checked my inventory on the first screen my computer froze, i restarted, tried again and the second time it froze on the first screen of my dialogue with the voodoo chick...whats up with that?

lspace

I've downloaded it and have played a fair ways into the game and have had no problems yet. I am enjoying it and I would like to play your second game if you would please post the download link.

Privateer Puddin'

am i missing much playing without sound? only way i can get it to run at the moment

lspace

The sound is nice to have but not necessary.  the music is from Monkey Island so if you like that sort then yes you are missing something.  Did you run setup.bat before playing the game?

I just finished the game and had no problems.  I found the puzzles to be a bit too easy though.

lspace

Quote from: swingerkat on Sun 21/09/2003 23:55:38
where is the boat

Spoiler
talk to the lady at the museum but you will have to find all of your crew first before you get the boat
[close]

swingerkat

i have done all of that and gotten the key but i dont know where to go

Larien

Spoiler
If you've gotten your crew already, then you're looking for the shop that the girl you give the key to is in.  It's a little door to the right of the Lottery machine and it's really hard to see.  I had a hard time finding it when I was looking around.  
[close]
Bravo, Grundislav.  I was really impressed.  I sat here and finished the entire thing in one outing.  I'll definitely look forward to the next part of this trilogy, even if it just ends up being another Monkey Island rip-off.  ;)  I really do think you should release the next part.  What would it be about if you did release it?
"A writer without inspiration is but a fool with a pen." --Sitara Stanton
http://www.myspace.com/zalea1864
"Someday--when things are slow again--we'll burn this city down." --J.M., who was quoting from...well, somewhere unbeknownst to me

Grundislav

Thanks, good to know people are enjoying it.  The 2nd part is a little longer, and I tried to branch out and make my own story.  Granted, there are still Monkey Island elements in it, like a resurrected zombie, her henchman, searching for 4 pieces of something, but I tried to make it a little different so it's not a carbon copy of the plot from MI2.  I'll release it within the next couple of weeks.

Steve McCrea

If you have Windows 2000, NT, or XP, you can use VDM Sound
http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/
to run all the Dos AGS games.

It's great - as the name implies, sound and everything, but it also has support for VESA 2.0 I think. Basically it works with most DOS games, not just AGS.

Sorry if this is old info.

Cheers,
Steve

Nostradamus

Hey nice game!

Help!:
Spoiler
How do I get the guava and the umbrella?
[close]

Grundislav

Nostradamus:

Spoiler
To get the guava, talk to the woman in the forest and see if you can help her with her monetary situation...

As for the umbrella, those little drink umbrellas are usually made from small pieces of wood and paper...
[close]

Hope that helps!

Nostradamus

Thanks, I made some nice progress but I'm stuck again:

Spoiler
Only 2 more people left to recruit to my crew: the guy on the street who needs to be proven that the weather will be good and the woman in the museum who needs to see I have a tatoo and me identifying knots. How do I do those things?
[close]

Grundislav

Spoiler
You might have a hard time seeing the door to the far right in the town, but it leads to a store where you can get an item that will help you with the crew member.

The tattoo is just a matter of painting.

Look on the Voodoo Lady's bookshelf for the knot solution.
[close]

Ginny

I love the game, Grundislav! I'm enjoying it immensly, though I'll have to fix my problem with music, great work!

I'm stuck though:
Spoiler
How can I find out the sailor's vow? I have a crew and have done everything else I need to prove my sailorness :D
[close]

I prefer a vague hint if possible ;)

edit: Actually, never mind, I solved the problem less than a minute after posting :P Really fun game, Grundisav :)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Nostradamus

GinnyW:
Spoiler
It'a already there. Think of the song "A Pirate I was ment to be..." from CMI
[close]

Ginny

Thanks Nostradamus, though like I said, I solved it myself :)

Grundislav: I noticed (if I'm not mistaken) that you referenced the book "Not without my daughter", which I haven't read yet, but it's on a list we were given from school, of books to do reports on. For some reason I was convinced that it was written in hebrew, but I guess I was wrong.. :P Anyway, is it good? I need to choose a book for the next report. Great referncing too ;)

edit: Hmm, I think I might've found a bug, though maybe not:

Spoiler
Is it possible to talk to Mr. Lopez again? I can't talk to him and since I quit the game right at that point, I don't rememeber the recipe for the ghost-reppelant. :P ::) edit: Oh wait, I remembered, and finished the game :) Great game, now on to the next one ;)
[close]
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

After

Unfortunately, Save/Restore always crashes for me, and I've had a crash on entering a new room too.
I have to find a long period in which to let all the scripted sequences run (at their own speed) and repeat everything I've previously done before I can continue.
[edit]
Although, now I've finished it, there's something to be said for playing it all in one session.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk