Awakening of the Sphinx DEMO v1.2 (Updated 29 June 04)

Started by SSH, Tue 30/09/2003 22:04:58

Previous topic - Next topic

sergiocornaga

So, any intersting progress on the game so far?

After

The character art is good, and suggestive of cultural distance.

The walk anim moves nicely, but the far arm needs to be lifted on the forward swing like the other.

Oh yeah, and great plot themes, both the glamorous and the academic.
And what a character to play in such a drama! :o :D

SSH

Thanks for the comments. I have added the north walkcycle, but I realise that I'm no good at drawing backs! (like I'm good at any other bit...)

After

Just putting a ^ in the middle below the shoulder blades should be enough. Darken it on the side where the arm moves back for added depth.

You may even want to try variable shadows/highlights on the trunk to reflect arm movement and body twist, just to make it more fluid. Depends on how far you want to go with it. :)

SSH

Quote from: SSH on Tue 30/09/2003 22:04:58
Well, now I've finished with the FOREGOs, I'll give you an update on the game progress.

Firstly, Vel has spoken to me about a preview in the AGS ezine. Hopefulyl that can be appearing soon. I have given him some exclusive screenshots, but I won't steal his thunder by posting them here.

Hopefully I can have a demo out by the end of February, although I don't promise. So far I've got the GUI nearly completed (just save/load boxes to do, but I'll leave them fro when I've got bored writing dialogues) and all the backgrounds for the demo are loaded into AGS. I think all the sprites are loaded too, but there always turns out to be two or three more that you need when you come to implement these things.

Most of the remaining work is going to be writing dialogs, I think. The way the icon-based dialog system works means that tehre will be a heck of a lot of dialog. I doubt that I'll have time to do a voice pack before end of February, or to finesse the music but there will be some music in there and hopefully some sound FX.

Also, Farlander has said that hes going to try and help me out with some cutscene GFX which is great. However, if anyone with 3D skills wants to PM me, I've got an awesome custscene that would look great in 3D. Also would liek to hewar from potential  voice actors for Ay (Old Grand Vizier), Maya (Helpful adjutant) and the Sphinx (booming deep voice)...

SSH

Well, the demo is very nearly ready. I've got a few descriptions left to add for some hotspots, which are already written but not typed in yet (and I left that bit of paper somewhere else ::)  )  but we have music, SFX, savegames with screenshots and lots more all ready.

so, hopefully... DEMO release tomorrow (Tuesday!)... its only 2 months later than I told Vel in the ezine!

just hoping that I can build some anticipation here with a bump...

Nacho

Hey! Which is the problem? I told Vel MI1.5 would be released in Xmas 2003...  ;D

I am looking forward to see this demo!
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

SSH

Bump, and also to say that all any any constructive crits are welcome. Not just bugs, but any gameplay, gfx, sound, etc. things that bug you. I can't promise to do anyhting about all of them, but I will read and consider them all.

Quote from: SSH on Tue 30/09/2003 22:04:58
LATEST (28 April 04):

Yes, the DEMO IS HERE! The moment that you've all been waiting for!

You can download it as 4.1M Zip or 3.7M RAR

or check out the blurb on the website website

Here's a screenshot to whet your appetite:

Pet Terry

Yay demo, just downloaded it and will try it later!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Kweepa

Very nice!

I tried it first in 320x200 but it was definitely not designed for that :)
You should include a .cfg file in the zip that is set on 640x400.

The interface is very well done, but you probably don't need me to tell you that. The only problem I had was when looking at the pyramids in the map screen, when the character changes to the full size talk view.

I'd also make the floating text fade in much quicker. It's a bit frustrating having to wait two seconds to see the description.

Are there just five locations in the demo? And is there nothing to do except talk to people and look at stuff?

Looking good!
I loved the characters ducking to get into the tent, and the "amazed" animation of the main character. Interesting script - seems nicely paced, with not too much exposition. The only confusion I had was Aten and Amun are quite similar, as are Khafre and Khefren. I guess there's not much you can do about that! Except maybe to explicitly link Akhenaten and Aten in the same sentence somehow.

Oh, I also noticed the Sphinx says "msy" and not "may" at one point.

[EDIT] I see you want comments on graphics, sound etc too... Well, the graphics seem a bit murky, and the characters don't exactly go together. I appreciate that's not too constructive. The only sound effect I noticed was the footsteps going down the steps into the pyramid, and they seemed out of sync with the animation - way too late.

Sorry if that was a bit freeform.

On my must play list!
Steve
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SSH

Well, with Steve's comments, and also showing the game to my wife yesterday night I found a bunch of bugs... so this new 1.1 version has those fixed and less spelling mistakes too.

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Wed 28/04/2004 21:28:53
The interface is very well done, but you probably don't need me to tell you that. The only problem I had was when looking at the pyramids in the map screen, when the character changes to the full size talk view.
Ooops. I already made the idle view change for that screen, but forgot the speech view...

I'd also make the floating text fade in much quicker. It's a bit frustrating having to wait two seconds to see the description.
Well, a right click can describe it if you're impatient

Are there just five locations in the demo? And is there nothing to do except talk to people and look at stuff?

No, there are more. It is possible to discover the secret chamber that the Sphinx describes in the intro, although that's as far as it goes for now. This is about 5% of the game story...

Looking good!
I loved the characters ducking to get into the tent, and the "amazed" animation of the main character. Interesting script - seems nicely paced, with not too much exposition.

Thanks. There are probably a few more places I could do some extra animations, but graphics aren't my strong point and I wanted to get this out as it's been hanging around at 95% done since early February. I moved some of the huge intro expostition into the dialog choices, and I think the balance is OK.... but please ANYONE let me know if soemthing doesn't make sense or it looks like I've missed something out of the story in the game. Its sometimes difficult to remember if everything in your head or notebook is in there!

Oh, I also noticed the Sphinx says "msy" and not "may" at one point.
I also spelled Pharaoh wrong every time, had "destory" instead or "destroy" and various others which are fixed now. I dumped out a translation file and spellchecked it.

[EDIT]  The only sound effect I noticed was the footsteps going down the steps into the pyramid, and they seemed out of sync with the animation - way too late.

I noticed that too... there ARE other SFX but a lot of them were too quiet to hear (especially if the music is on). There was also one broken sound. So now I've fixed the length and volue of the SFX so it should be better now. I may also add some general footstep sounds later on.

Thanks for the great feedback Steve. If you are still stuck having been to all the starting 5 locations, ask me and I may be able to throw some light on things  ;)

Don't forget that you can talk about any item in the background during dialogs

Kweepa

Quote from: SSH on Thu 29/04/2004 10:17:38
But I want to see it now! >:(

Thanks for the great feedback Steve. If you are still stuck having been to all the starting 5 locations, ask me and I may be able to throw some light on things  ;)
Subtle! I guessed it was something to do with that, but I didn't realise that:

Really? That's a great idea! I wish I'd thought of that!
(I guess I should have read the manual better. Can you also ask about any inventory item then?)

SSH

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Thu 29/04/2004 11:40:08
Quote from: SSH on Thu 29/04/2004 10:17:38
But I want to see it now! >:(

Well, I'll consider it (it used to be even slower)... or maybe make an options GUI that lets you fiddle with volume, speeds, etc. but that'll be in the full game.

Really? That's a great idea! I wish I'd thought of that!
(I guess I should have read the manual better. Can you also ask about any inventory item then?)

Yes. The Help dialog also reminds you of this, but in version 1.1 of the game, you can actually READ the text as it is no longer yellow on a yellowy background! I changed the font from an outline one and forgot to change the colour.... *sigh*

I've submitted a walkthrough for the demo to the walkthrough database on AGA's site, but I dunno how long it takes for those to get approved.

Ashen

Nice demo, but I think I found a bug...

After I've opened the secret door, if I leave the secret chamber, Horemheb enters by the stairs at the top of the screen, not through the door

Also, I need help. Is there a way to get past the first secret room in the demo?

SSH

Quote from: Ashen on Thu 29/04/2004 13:54:55
Nice demo, but I think I found a bug...

After I've opened the secret door, if I leave the secret chamber, Horemheb enters by the stairs at the top of the screen, not through the door

Ooops. Thanks for spotting that one. I've fixed it already on my PC and I'll try and upload v1.2 soon.

Also, I need help. Is there a way to get past the first secret room in the demo?

Spoiler

Each hex tile always has the same effect: for each column, it either toggles its state or always makes it come up or always makes it go down. It might help to make a map fo the tiles and then you can work out a path through them that leaves all four columns up. I had one myself, but I lost it and  I generally just wander randomly around the rightmost three rows until the columns are all up!

My map had things like "--X-" (third column toggled) and "1101" (all columns up excpet 3rd which goes down). So if you did the  second then the first, all four columns would be up.

If you get really stuck there, I'll see if I can work out a safe route (which will require careful clicking!)
[close]

SSH

v1.2 is now uploaded, with Ashen's bug fixed.

Spoiler

Also, the hex puzzle is now easier to walk around on.
Here's one solution to the hex puzzle, there are probably more:

Start on middle of first row. Go SE, N, NE, SW, SE, S, NE, NE.
[close]

Kweepa

The hex puzzle is the hardest puzzle ever!
Occasionally (rarely), he'll walk the long way around to get to a tile, which doesn't help.
Spoiler

I think it's too hard to work backwards to a solution that works - it would be easier if each column toggled or did nothing.
I started trying to work it out, but eventually I just wandered randomly.
Of course, maybe I'm just stupid...
Rather cooler than the Fate of Atlantis hex puzzle!
[close]

There's a full stop missing in the intro, after "ruined".

SSH

Steve, have you got v1.2... I made the walkable areas a bit bigger to avoid the "long way around" problem. However, if you still get it, I'd appreciate knowing which tiles it occurs between, as maybe I can sort it out.

Spoiler

As I said, I used to just wander about randomly to get it. I only worked out that solution just yesterday.
[close]

I'd really like to hear from anyone who worked out the puzzle for themselves!

I don't think I'll do a v1.3 just for a full stop, though!

Thanks for all your feedback, though, Steve.

INDY

I just played the game and i must say that it looks quite proffesional not counting the graphics(they are good but for amatour game).It somehow reminds me of a German adventure named Lost On Island or something.It has  the same style.Keep up the good work!
I just played the game and i must say that it looks quite proffesional not counting the graphics(they are good but for amatour game).It somehow reminds me of a German adventure named Lost On Island or something.It has  the same style.Keep up the good work!

Migs

SSH, you have made one sweet game.  Your interface is quite original, and the graphics have a nice charm.  I've been waiting to see a demo for this for awhile, and I can say the wait was well worth it.
This signature intentionally left blank.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk