OCTOBER MAGS

Started by magintz, Wed 01/10/2003 16:43:52

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
I'm not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

OCTOBER RULES
The game must contain at least 3 different inventory items that have never been used before in any adventure game*, and the inventory items must have something to do with a puzzle to complete the game.

the plot must contain one or more elements of the following:
-post apocalyptic world
-time travel
-divine intervention
-horror
-the meaning of life

Must contain one (or more) forum member(s) (or) their descendant

*Saying any adventure game is a bit too restrictive and confusing as most people havn't played ALL the adventure games EVER made, so we will restrict this to commercial Sierra/Lucas Arts games - SO NO RUBBER CHICKENS AND GUNS! we're looking for original.

As usual ALL games must be in by 25th October - Have Fun :D
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Vel

Cool rules, though I am not sure that many people will enter - too many limitations in my opinion.

TheDude

How can you do "post apocalyptic world" and "time travel" if the game's to be set in 2003?

SSH

Paranoia

only complaint is.... i don't really know anyone to base a character on, i tryed in the july mags but the fact is it was just a copy of the guys avitar nothing more
can i just do a post apocalyptic horror?

what size 640 x 400 hi color? pleeaaaaaaaaaase

Ishmael

I'll enter, sure, hoping I get my game done before the deadline... I got MAGS fever now :P
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Minimi

Well this sure is a mix of both rules. My rules where about the 3 inventory items and Anno 2003.

Maybee it's a good idea to scrap the anno 2003 rule, because it comes in conflict with the other rules! Just a suggestion ;) Have phun in this MAGS.

One more question... Can I join a competition where I have set the rules myself?

Ishmael

If there are no agreements about this from previous MAGS (which I think is not true... or I don't know...), it could be that if winner of last month could post a game, but if they win, the next month's rules are decided by the who came second? Or something? Just so the same person(s) is not making too much rules... ::)

Whaddaya think of this, my fist draft about the main character:

(M$Paint gif conversion, I was lazy...)

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Ginny

I'm considering entering, but It'll be tough to think of a story. Good thing I noticed this right now and not too late. ;)

Let's see, 3 original items, a forums member, year 2003 (doesn't really bother me so I'll stick to it), and a theme of my choice. I have a feeling time travel will win my heart :D
Yeah pretty nice rules, 25th is also a great date for me cause we have 9 days holiday which ends on the 26th exactly :)

PS: Nice first draft! I really like the clothes/posture.
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Ishmael

I already have the ending, and so one of the three original items.... :P

magintz

Minimi you can enter, but if you win again the person who comes in second would get to choose the rules, so it is spread more evenly between people.

Also i'll scrap the anno 2003 part then. :D
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Evil

YES! My concept art and plot work! I am ahead! YAY! Though I am a bit disapointed that there is no fixed pallet... :P

Ishmael

Quoteyou can enter, but if you win again the person who comes in second would get to choose the rules, so it is spread more evenly between people.

Didn't I just say that ;D

And now I have allready like half GUI, main char walk anims (need trimming) and basic storyline almost ready... Looks like I'm going to get this done in time :D

Paranoia

Quote from: Evil on Wed 01/10/2003 22:58:24
YES! My concept art and plot work! I am ahead! YAY! Though I am a bit disapointed that there is no fixed pallet... :P

you can used fix pallet if you really want to!

ok i've got a beginning and an end, no middle :-\ DOH!
time travel, nuclear wasteland, and horror, a guest appearance of an ags member, even 2003! 2 of the 3 inv items, 3 animated scenes maybe, i don't think the file size of my last game did me any favs so i might leave them..unless the games really good! 320x240 hi color

ok nuff sed, let the games begin! ;) :D

Ishmael

I was thinking... does anyone know are the following objects ever used as inv items? I havent seen....

Sink
Toilet Seat
Wallpaper
Elevator doors
BFG9000
Surgeon gear
Coffin
A Minigun disquised as primitive sculpture

?? :P

AND IF NOT, I WILL RESERVE THEM, AND WHEN I HAVE DECIDED WHICH ONES I DON'T USE, YOU CAN THEN HAVE 'EM, IF YOU WANT. ;D

----- EDIT -----

Hey, is there anyone actually working on their games, or am I having a monolog here? I have the GUI allmost ready, just needing some tweaking, the allmost whole basic plot, load of inventory items I'm trying to find a purpose to, the main character requiring talking animations and finishing touches on walking animation. Now what I need to do, when I got these done, is to draw backgrounds, inv items, other characters, put rooms, char animations etc. together, set interactions, do neccesary scripting, make dialogs, check that things work as they should, fix faults, make quick improvements, do final check, fix if needed & re-check, the my game should be done... ;D

(Sorry, just in this very talkative mood again :P)

Ginny

Heh, well, last night my mind flowed (as it often does at night) and I am entering the contest. I'll try to restrict myself to a not too long game or I'll never finish it. I fI do decide to make it longer I'll release it seperately. Anyway, just to get somthing clear:

I need to use one or more of the themes (time travel, horror, etc) in the game, or I need to have at least one element of each? I assume the former, so I've chosen time travel and horror (I hope I'll manage to make the game seem horrible :P). I need to choose a forum member and make upi items. I've also set it in 2003 because it works for me.

Good luck everyone!
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

jetxl

I'm entering. I should be working on Aseyriul or Coell Decka.
But it's only for a couple of days\weeks.
Hope I can get the characters done in time. Better get starting...

Ishmael

QuoteCool rules, though I am not sure that many people will enter - too many limitations in my opinion.

Well, everyone can make mistakes - and coun't quessing something wrong in this case as mistake - ;D No offence!

Eggie

I think these rules are awesome!
In my humble opinion. MAGS is better when it's more constricting.

I believe it was Terryb Pratchett who once said:
"Ideas from from Limitations" Or somthing... just don't make me set it in 2003.  :P

CHARACTER THINGIE!!!!!1!11

Have any of these been used:
A light-detecting Eyeball,
Two stones that make sparks when you bang 'em together,
A Fingernail.
A magic orb containing the sun.
???

Evil

Good idea Tk. Anybody seen these in a game or are planning to use them?

Railroad Spike
Shopping Cart
Jawbreaker
Laserpointer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk