Project Japan (BETADEMO!!!, read first post!)

Started by waffer, Tue 07/10/2003 19:57:06

Previous topic - Next topic

waffer

Project Japan by Digital Pollutions.

First I want to introduce the team that is working on this game. We are four guys from Sweden and we are all 18 years old. In our school we have something called Projektarbete (roughly interpreted = Project work). The goal here is to work together with others and work like you do in real life. You're able to choose your own project and we chose to make an adventure game. So now we have a whole school year too make a game and scheduled time to do it on!
We have assigned different tasks for everyone in the group, we have one Lead Storywriter who writes story, dialog and stuff like that (known on the forum as WeHoo). We have one Lead Programmer (known on the forum as Purra_H), one Lead Designer (that's me) and one Lead Director (Jo.Walter)
Ok that's enough about us, now on to the game!

-----
The year is 1274. The powerful Mongols invaded China in 1259 and they are a growing threat against Japan. Threats have been sent to the Japanese government in Kamakura and they now fear a invasion. The odds to fight back an attack from the Mongols aren't good.

-----
The main character (temporary name: Ego) lives on the country with his parents. His relatives have lived on farming as long as they can remember and are happily unaware of what's going on in the rest of the country. One day when he is out he meets a samurai who says something about Mongols and that it's over for Japan. The samurai also mentions that Japan now need all the men they can get and that he should go to the nearest village to help. Ego, who's not so interested in working on the family's farm, immediately decides to do as the samurai says.

=========================================================================
News
13 october
--------------
Added a new character and updated the first background.

14 october -> 6 may
--------------------------
What happend between those two dates?
I may write a report on how the project went.

7 may
--------
The first screenshots are uploaded doh!

20 may
---------
The Betademo-version is released

EDIT: Set to be released when its done.

Images (None of the images are complete and may be changed in the future)

Screenshots

If the pics are too big, just tell me and I'll just link to them.

Project Japan Betademo -  Download 7.33mb (Right-Click)

remixor

That's a really cool assignment.  I wish my school had something like that.  It should be good motivation to finish your game :)

I like the concept.  Historical plots are always interesting.  Your character somehow reminds me of an Asian CMI-style-Guybrush ;)  My only comment is that his eyebrows make it look like he has four eyes, other than that your character and background look pretty clean.

Good luck!
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

WeHoo

Well, my first, and probably not last, post on the board. As Waffer already mentioned I'm the storywriter on Project Japan.

Ginny

Welcome WeHoo! Souns like a great story you got there! I sure wish we had something like this in our school, all we'll have in computers this year (next semester only) is HTML, which I studied by myself long ago. Oh well, I'll use the time for game making then :)
What subject was the project given in? or is it a general thing? Hmm, I wonder if I'll have anything like that in computers when I'm 18 (4 years until then :P). I presume you're in your 12th grade, right?

Anyway, this looks promising, the graphivs are smooth and the whole design method sounds very proffessional :)

I was wondering, when you say Lead Designer, are you reffering to art? And what does the Lead Director do?
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

waffer

Quote from: GinnyW on Wed 08/10/2003 21:31:06
Welcome WeHoo! Souns like a great story you got there! I sure wish we had something like this in our school, all we'll have in computers this year (next semester only) is HTML, which I studied by myself long ago. Oh well, I'll use the time for game making then :)
What subject was the project given in? or is it a general thing? Hmm, I wonder if I'll have anything like that in computers when I'm 18 (4 years until then :P). I presume you're in your 12th grade, right?

Anyway, this looks promising, the graphivs are smooth and the whole design method sounds very proffessional :)

I was wondering, when you say Lead Designer, are you reffering to art? And what does the Lead Director do?

Hi GinnyW!!
The project is a subject. We have about 2,5 hour a week scheduled time to work with it. But at the moment we can't work with it at school so all the work is done at home. But we use the scheduled time to have meetings on were we talk about what have been done and what has to be done and stuff like that.
Yes we are in our 12th grade.
And yes, Lead Designer is reffering to art.
So on to your last question about the Lead Director. Well after the three other titles were given we had nothing more that someone had to be responsible for. So we gave him the title Lead Director wich means that he will be the one responsible for putting it all together.
But we are not locked to our titles. We help eachother with all the things.

Evil

Wow, a whole year... I wish I could have a year to make a team project. We have blocked classes so I would only be able to have 1/2 a year at max... Sounds really cool, cant wait to see more art.

Purra_H

Like wehoo said my first and probably not last reply ont ths forum.

PS.
I am the Lead Programmer if you haven't already read it.

waffer

Evil, as you wanted, more art!!!!!!
This is ONE of the samurais that you will meet in the game. I also updated the house background.

jason

Oh wow, that samurai is sweet! I can't wait for this game, especially with the comfort of knowing that it will be completed otherwise you guys will fail.. muhahah!

sergiocornaga

Sweet.

Really creative and authentic drawing style, can't wait to see the finished version. ;D

Jo.Walter

Wow im in! I have had some problems with my internet, modem, OS, ehm...evrything... anyway Im in and I am the so called "Lead Director" of this projekt as Waffer hopefully (for his own sake) has mentioned...

sergiocornaga

What is the game's resoloution?  ???

remixor

The house background is 320x240, so that would be my first guess.  On the other hand, the characters look more like they'd go in a 640x480 game, though they could just be concept art.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

oscar

nice cartoony looks and fresh, clean graphics....I'm looking forward to the game!

var i Sverige kommer ni ifrån?

Jo.Walter

Quote from: oscar on Thu 30/10/2003 12:11:02
nice cartoony looks and fresh, clean graphics....I'm looking forward to the game!

var i Sverige kommer ni ifrån?

Eksjö Gymnasium typ ;)

oscar

-

Purra_H

JO. is the lead Director (strange title) in our projekt....

så han gissar inte

Inkoddi

Jag ska också göra ett spel som projektarbete ;D

oscar

-

waffer

The game resolution will be 640*480.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk