Tune Contest - Oct. 27 to Nov. 2

Started by Gregjazz, Mon 27/10/2003 23:19:12

Previous topic - Next topic

EldKatt

I'm most certainly in, and, as I haven't had the opportunity to start until now... hopefully I'll be done tomorrow.  :-\

Gregjazz

Don't worry, I'll give you a little extra time if needed. :)

Gregjazz

Should I wait another day before declaring a winner? Do you think you will have your entry done by then, EldKatt?

Migs

I was going to make an entry, but I ran out of time before I could even start one.  :'(
This signature intentionally left blank.

m0ds

Right, I think all entries should be in by the end of today so Geoffkhan can pronounce a winner tomorrow :)

m0ds

Gregjazz

Quite right, Mods. It's already the 5th!

The winner is... Mods!

I will give details on the songs:

Ghormak: It sounds pretty realistic, but the percussion instruments are far to repetitive. Live players vary their beats more.

Mods: That's an awesome brass section you got there. Very realistically done with the brass swells. I realize that this is soundtrack music, but it would be cooler if you developed the beat more. You could bring in heavier techno kicks and mix an acoustic kit with the synthesized one.

Trapezoid: Let me tell you, you were SO close to winning the contest. I love how you skip an eighth note in the intro. I think you were on the right track with that bassline. You should add more fret noises and stuff like that. Sometimes you just have to play the real instruments to understand how all their imperfections sound. I suggest a trip to your local music store/guitar center.

Ben: What a snare roll! I am still in shock. You have a nice theme going there,  but that's not what this contest is about.

Loominous: Well, it sounds fine, but it sounds like you just used plain instruments. Not enough emotion.

I hope you all weren't overly offended by my criticisms. :)

Trapezoid

Congrats m0ds.

Ghormak: I'm not sure what you mean by the eigth note in the intro... As for bass frets and stuff, I would've, but I don't really have any good bass fret samples. Oh well.
If anyone's interested in listening to what I've done with my song, here's the MP3. Other than my voice, it's still completely programmed.

m0ds

Woo :) Thanks Geoff, ta Trap. I'll come up with a new tune contest today or tomorrow. I thought all the entries were good. Better than mine, especially. LOL.

m0ds

Gregjazz

Why I chose Mods was because of that brass section. If it had not been there, Trapezoid, you would've won.

What I mean by the "skipping an eighth note in the intro" was because the fourth bar of your song is in 7/8 time -- leading into the A section.

I will download the improved song. I have been thinking of trying to sequence it myself. I'll even dust off my bass guitar. Then you'll be able to hear the real fret noises and stuff!

I was working on a Soundfont called "Gig Bass", and I sampled every other fret with my index, middle finger, vibrato, and hammer on. I also sampled the release noises. It took two days to sample the first two strings, and already it takes up like 84 megs! You can guess why I stopped working on that project.

Maybe sometime when someone is willing to host my soundfont site (hint, hint), I'll make realistic soundfonts of my bass and stuff.

It's too bad Bjorn Lynne took his soundfonts off his site. He had some great bass fret noises.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk