November MAGS

Started by magintz, Fri 31/10/2003 18:35:57

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
BECAUSE I SAID SO... k!

joking

I'm not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

Due to popular demand on IRC i'm releasing the competition a day early so you can think a bit more about it, and I expect to see games from Vel and  Alkaline, and if I don't "may CJ have mercy on your souls"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme: Magic & other Paranormal Activities.

That’s right. The new theme for the Mags competition is magic. You have to design a game that includes at least an element of magic, witchcraft, occult or paranormal activity. The character can be anything or anyone you wish, as long as it fits the story.

- The main character can be either good or evil but no matter which, should have a strong personality and motive for his/her actions.
- The setting can be anything. (medieval, modern, fantasy,sci-fi or anything else you want).
- There must be a Day/Night change, at least once, somewhere in the game. (cutscenes included)
- There must be a well-thought ending, or conclusion.
- Although not “strictly” obligatory, a severed body part is more than welcome.
- It would be a good idea for the main character to possess some sort of special power or discover having it during the game.

I believe that the rules are open enough to allow flexibility in your ideas. I will agree with the forum members that main idea is to have fun .
I hope that the subject is juicy enough and can be interpreted in so many ways that it will be a challenge for everybody.
Remember, even if magic isn’t your thing, you could still make a game about the character not liking it, or facing an inner conflict.

Have fun creating.

Plot examples (cliché):

- Light: A magic book that carries children to a fantasy land to defeat an evil witch.
- Medium: A young cop who has the ability to read peoples minds.. and fights an ancient evil.
- Dark: A deamon seeking a “host” in order to carry through his mission on earth.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU HAVE UNTIL THE 27th NOVEMBER
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Vel

Ishmael

I got like three games of that theme starting...none of those ideas are not small enough though... But I'll enter, in case I get my game done in time (I always say that :P)
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Ferret

*bops Vel*

Yeah okay. Why not? Didn't wanna die alone anyways...

Any limitation on screen res, rooms, colour depth?

Ishmael

My god what are you doing???

Aim for the head, if you can find it...

right? ;D

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Dave Gilbert

I like the rules this month.  Sounds like something I had in mind a few months ago.  I may enter.

Ferret

Rar! You have worked out my obscure gaming reference! I would kill you but...

...this is as far as I go.

Ishmael

Whatever, I'm gonna stay here and wait for my collegues...

Meanwhile thinking of a good plot.

Minimi

Hey, I'm against magic or anything, but is a game about some spiritual war going on, in a christian side of view also good. I mean we christians know everything about demons, angels, God and ofcourse LOVE! ;)

I guess it fits, so I'm thinking also of a good plot, and also to make the game fun for everyone, whatever their believes are... so I'm off again :P... I wanna join this MAGS and have fun! :D :D :D

PeaceMan

Quotea severed body part is more than welcome.
Hey Foz, it's time to get the old severed hand out again.  ;)

I'm getting a graphics tablet tomorrow so I might try this.

EDIT- I've worked out my idea. Now I just need to make a game out of it.

Paranoia

count me in too, i've got a few ideas already cookin :D
maybe not done in 3D for a change

Evil

Ah, crap. Not what I had in mind, but ok. I'll try to atleast get one somewhat finished.

sergiocornaga

I might enter this time if I don't have too much to do..  :P

remixor

Quote from: Magintz on Fri 31/10/2003 18:35:57
- Although not “strictly” obligatory, a severed body part is more than welcome.

Bwahaahahahah... Yes!
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

DragonRose

Ooooo... I think I might enter this- it would tie in with my big game in some very interesting ways...

* Dragonrose cackles
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Nixxon

Count this heretic in...

Toefur

Since I am new to mags, and haven't really played many mags games... I would ask: How many screens/characters does a mags game have, in general?

Mats Berglinn

I think I will enter this. Some questions though:

QuoteThere must be a well-thought ending, or conclusion.

1: What do you mean by that?

2: Do you have to have cutscenes in the game? I haven't done any cutscenes before.

3: Is it okay for a shift between night and day or must it be a shift between day and night?

4: Do you have to make a dusk/dawn scene or is it okay to use the Monkey Island style shift, you know from one place it is night and in the next place it is day?

5: Must it be vinsible magic like wizards shooting bolts from the fingers or is it okay to have "invisible" magic like in The Lord of the Rings movies?

PureGhostGR

Glad you liked them. :)

AgentLoaf: nope, everything is good..

Toefur: it all depends on the maker, the rules allow even a single room game if that is what you have in mind. :)

Mats:

1) It is up to you to decide how "creative" the ending can be. All that is required of you, is to make it taking into account the rest of the story.

2) No, but it would be a great opportunity to try it.

3) I believe either one is good enough. :)

4) The first is prefered, but if you think that it might be hard to do, you could make something like the one you suggest.

5) As long as it matches the game and fits in nicely, there are not restrictions.

One of the greatest elements in taking part to a competition is to interpret the rules of the game in your own creative way. If you have a great idea, you can always use the rules to your advantage.

After all this is a game of creativity, and as such, it includes the way the rules are applied. :)

-fave fun-

magintz

Wow, seems like a lot of people wanting to enter this month.

PureGhostGR if you want to enter you can, but you won't be able to win, could be fun.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk