Why I'm not using AGS

Started by , Fri 07/11/2003 23:01:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Squinky

It still really hurts, even without underwear Snake....I just wish Chris could do his thing without all that ass-slapping....

it's demeaning...

Pumaman

But come on guys, you know it's a price worth paying. Plus the fact, you were all squealing with delight at the time.

DGMacphee

I was squealing because you were pinching my love handles.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

iron_man

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 14/11/2003 09:15:07
But come on guys, you know it's a price worth paying. Plus the fact, you were all squealing with delight at the time.

it seems that cos777 prefered ass slapping from the creators of wintermute . . ahhh you can't satisfy all of them . .do you . . . ;D

Erpy

Gee, I almost feel sorry for interrupting this slightly off-course discussion.

QuoteAlso, while the engine is vritually free for commercial use (which seems to be its main attraction), it seems the reality is quite different.

I'm curious how different reality is. The disclaimer still says you can use the engine for commercial games, right? You'll need more than a quote from one game development group to change that.

QuoteFor example, Erpy on Tierra forums said that he couldn't imagine Chris Jones not getting a share if Tierra made commercial games with AGS. Umm, why couldn't he "imagine" that?

Because that's always been the shared opinion of our team.

QuoteIsn't it one of the main AGS advantages? According to him, not giving a share somehow implies being ungrateful, even though one is not obligated to do so.

We'd feel ungrateful, because we've released two full games made AGS already and CJ's frequent updates of AGS partially made that possible.

QuoteI can just see that if someone makes fairly good money with AGS and doesn't give its author any "share", the whole AGS community will bitch and whine about how "uncool" that person is. So, in the end, the whole "I don't want to charge money for it because I don't want to feel obligated to update it unless when I feel like it" becomes another excuse.

Okay, reality has already invalidated your point (Fatman) and besides, since when is the opinion of one community an official/legal reason why AGS isn't suitable for commercial games?

QuoteAnd when the "free for commercial use" appeal is gone, one might as well go with something better and more advanced, such as "Wintermute".

The disclaimer still says "free for commercial use", so I fail to see the general point of the initial message. (the disclaimer doesn't say; "it's illegal to send donations if your AGS-powered game becomes a success", by the way)

Bottom line: Don't take the make-game option too seriously and don't claim a statement is an excuse because one user says something that may seemingly (but not in reality) clash with that statement.

I'm off again; please continue with the previous discussion.

Alynn

1) It makes coffee for me in the morning.
2) It complaigns about the house being dirty less than my wife (although it does still complaign about it)
3) It whispers sweet nothings into my ear.
4) It makes me happy.
5) One time it got really drunk and it went down on me.
6) It never once called me a freak (although it may have thought that)
7) It likes pancakes as much as I do.
8) It gives me a reason to live again.
9) The voices in my head tell me to.
10) If I didnt use it I would actually have to spend time with my wife....

And THATS why I use AGS... As you can see all these points counter any points the OP may have had... I win!!!11!!!!!!one!1!!1!!oneone!

scotch

I really must thank you cos777 for intimidating CJ so much with your threats of using another rival engine, he was so scared he coded 32 bit colour for us, and sprites with alpha blending for getting rid of those terrible jaggies, please come back to us!  Thankyou for helping him overcome his bitterness toward 32 bit colour.
Now if only he'd start charging us to sell our games...

TheYak

Don't forget that it was probably an intimidating PM from Cos to CJ that caused CJ to implement the separate x & y scrolling.  

If good ol' Cos hadn't come along, Chris would surely be charging us to make these wonderful additions.  

My bet.. Cos is, at heart, a console-gamer.  :P

Ptraci

Inuyasha cosplay photos?

Anyway I think all the problem started because someone didn't get a joke about resolutions... why bother so much?

Meowster

Inuyashi Cosplay Photos? Where!??

Ptraci

Well, there are 2 guys dressed as Inuyasha in pages 2 and 3 of this thread. One of the photos is a fight between Inuyasha and his demon brother Sesshomaru.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk