who here still plays DOOM?

Started by Domino, Sat 08/11/2003 22:42:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino

even though this game has been around for a decade, and games now adays kick its ass, who here still goes back and plays DOOM? I must admit that i do, and enjoy it as much as i did when it first came out. Let me know if you do, and your most memorable DOOM moment.

PC or Console, it doesn't matter.

Trapezoid

I do occasionally. It's a classic! Or at least it will be as soon as the 90s alternative-grunge era nostalgia begins. The nostalgists are going through the 80s right now (see VH1.)

CMonkey

DOOM, DOOM2 and Wolfenstein from time to time, though i can only play it for about an hour or so before it becomes a bit repetitive, i hate it when it becomes a find your way through the maze game.
Andrew

rodekill

SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

DGMacphee

Wow, Rode, that looks like something special!

Downloading it right now!
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

TheYak

Yeah, I mess with it just about every time I come across a new mod for it.  Mostly I just keep it around and install on machines of friends and co-workers.  It's a healthy staple of entertainment goodness.

Hinders

Doom was a good game(not as good as wolf3d) but i still play it with my little-brother!  :D
----

Privateer Puddin'

doom? we're adventure gamers for gods sake! jk ;)

Ishmael

ME!

I have Ultimate Doom and Doom2, Doom95, ZDoom and ZDLaucher and DeHackEd, along with other editing tools, so occasionally I drop off adventures and either play the episodes again or make my own levels or weapons. Last thing I tried was to make a sniper rifle... Worked out quite well, except that you could see the bullet... and the weapon had no muzzle flash... and the firing rate was a bit too high... but otherwise, it worked out fine... of cource, no zoom... should try to do something about that, if anyhow possible... It looks... eh... funny when sergants fly to pieces when shot, mostly I aim for the head, just out of an habit, since ZDoom has the ability ;D

I should fix that Hand of God thing I was making... a pile of all new weapons... like, The Hand of God, which shot fireballs in insane firerate, and when hitting an imp or a posssed human or a sergant, they most sure burned then into a smoking pile of guts... except without the smoke...

The Doom musics are one of my favourite songs... especially the Doom1 intermission music... and the e1m1 music... and doom2 map1 music...

Did I get carried away?  ::)

Shotgun! Where the Fhaeeeasdf is my Shotgun!
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

DGMacphee

If you ever want a real trip, try playing Doom with the Apocalypse Now soundtrack.

BTW, Rode, that Doom Legacy thing rules!
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Ishmael

I cant wait until tonight! I get my laptop on the net again, and get to dnl that...

Anybody else tend to waste time dodgn baron's shots and firing them with shotgun from far range?

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Ferret

Indeed. Many a late night spent hunting Arch Viles around corners and running like made from those pesky Revenants. I use a different engine for my Doom fun, called Doomsday. Same idea as Legacy, except a little more developed, plus links to remixed and orchestral versions of the Doom soundtrack and higher resolution textures (which, honestly, look like ass.)

We should organise a Frag night or something.

remixor

LENS FLAER!1111!1  R0XOR TO TEH MAX0R!!1111!!!
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Ferret

Hate to point out the bleeding, fuckin' obvious, but you can turn those off.

remixor

Dude, why would you want to turn off lens flare?  ???

TheYak

You do realize that coronas often appear to a naked-eye, right guys?  Especially in high-fog/humidity conditions..   not the same as a lens-flare.

remixor

Yeah, yeah, whatever.  All I know is that lens flare r0x0rs my b0x0rs.

Ghormak

I just thought it was funny, because as you've noticed we like to laugh at the lens flares, regardless if they can be turned off or not.

I agree with Yakspit that coronas should be visible in games. I actually think it looks good. But not the multi-coloured circles as seen in the first screenshot. Ugh. Sure, the player should be penalized for staring into the sun, but lens flares is a little too harsh!

All I have to say about Doom, the game is that I don't like it at all, lens-flare or no lens flare. :P
Achtung Franz! The comic

Pumaman

Blimey, that's one hell of a lens flare overdose.

* Pumaman gets to work adding it to AGS

Ben

Heh. I just downloaded Doom Legacy. Thanks, Rode  ;)

I haven't played Doom for a long time, but I like going back once in a while for small doses. Most games I play get boring after a while, but Doom has held up pretty well..

Sylpher

I always liked Duke as far as the older FPS go.. but Wolfenstein still has a special spot in my heart.. Doom was just to 'Figure out how the hell to get from point A to Point B cause we aren't gonna help you"

While on the subject of FPS I have been playing Outlaws again (The spaghetti western FPS LEC made) And it really is an under-rated game.

It has some of the best puzzle work in a FPS (Which besides HL I guess that isn't saying much) But as well the story is right up there with adventure games.. The characters are greatly played out cliches and it just rocks..

So play it damnit!

Rincewind

Yeah, Doom is a classic, although I never really was a big fan of it.

But I must say that Sylper is absolutely right - Play Outlaws!
It's my absolute favourite among the first person shooters, not only because I love the graphic style and the overall, grim, Sergio Leone-mood of it, but also as Sylph says, it has a story that is different from the ordinary "save planet from hungry zombies or else you'll die"-type of plot...  
And then the music... Ooh... Just incredible...
And oh, did I mention you get to light dynamites with you cigar, alá Clint Eastwood as well? Doesn't that just say it all, eh?  

Besides Outlaws there are two fps that I have really enjoyed:
Shadow Warrior(I mean, come on - You get to be a NINJA!1!11) and Redneck Rampage(Drunk alien hillybillies with shotguns - Can it get any better?)...
The rest of them I don't really care about... Hehe... :)

earlwood

Wooo, now that I have legacy I want to play doom, can any give me a copy of the doom.wad or doom2.wad? My player skin was switched to that stupid "X marks the spots" because It used to lag when I played it on serial network & I installed hell on earth.wad to doom2 and altered it forever. Can anyone help me out?

Its not Warez cause I have the game I just messed it up with mods and other wads.

TheYak

I don't know if it's technically warez anyway.. I believe they made Doom Open-source (which is what prompted all the fan-made additions).  Even if it's not, doesn't the shareware .wad work as well?

Ishmael

I had doom2.wad uploaded ;D But I'm not sure anymore...

* TK checks

Yeah, not anymore... I'll upload 'em today or tomorrow, k? ;D

earlwood

Ishmael

Here we go... both Ultimate DooM & DooM][ ;D

http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/tkx24/doomwads.zip

just da wads...

Paper Carnival

I do. It rox!!! It's honestly better than many of today's games (*cough* C&C Renegade *cough*)

Migs

I loved Heretic & Hexen, especially Hexen 2.  That game rocked.  So did Blood.  I've never had a chance to play Blood 2, though.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Ishmael

Hexen 2 ares r0x0r too. I somehow like the appearance of Eidolon... And Death of course ;D The puzzle system was nice. I spent hours trying to figure out how to get past the nine floor tiles to get one of the canopic jars  ::)

earlwood

Hey TK, that zip isn't working, I was only 3k!, which is wierd because the Doom2.wad is like 14 megs  :P.

Ishmael

Odd... I'll see what might be wrong...

----- EDIT -----

Now it should be working... I need to have a html file on the server, set as startpage, to the files public :P

Scid

You can download doom1 and 2 from http://www.abandonware-france.org/ too. Of course, you can only download these if you own the game :)

The doomsday program is great. It makes doom look better than quake 2 in 1024x768 resolution, and with the enabling of mouselook and sidestrafing, you OWN the monsters. I'm going to have so much fun with this.
Those who can, do, and those who can't brag about how they do it at least fifty times a day somewhere on the internet.

remixor

Quote from: Migs on Mon 10/11/2003 20:50:27
I loved Heretic & Hexen, especially Hexen 2.  That game rocked.  So did Blood.  I've never had a chance to play Blood 2, though.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=1999-02-10&res=l

Ishmael

I couldn't find d&d2 in there, but it's maybe just that I don't understand france... eh... the language.... but I found this: http://home.t-online.de/home/s.topf/d.html

Ferret

You can get Blood 2 from The Underdogs, although I'd recommend finding someone stupid enough to have bought it and get them to burn you a copy instead.

I got Hexen on CD, if anyone wants the WAD file for it, lemme know.

Ishmael

Is there anything I can run it with? Can ZDoom run it? I WANT! ;D

Ferret

Doomsday will run Heretic and Hexen perfectly, not sure if Legacy or ZDoom will though.

Ishmael

Anyone got a good ZDoom bot? I got Doombot, and I don't quite like the launching system or their incredible speed... are they cheating or am I just moving slower then them?

Ishmael

Back.... Loaf, you happen to have the messages file of hexen? When I finished the first chapeter, I got just "message *loadelettersandnumbers* not found"...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk