Suspense game with LA style GUI(w/screen)

Started by ryanlandry, Wed 30/06/2004 18:54:52

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanlandry

No title yet, not even a working title  :-\

At the beginning of the game, you're just an average every day fellow (typical) and as the playable intro unfolds you stumble upon strange happenings and become reluctantly involved in a "sinister plot," muahahaha....

My apologies for the extremely general plot outline, but the playable intro sequence (which will be released as a DEMO at some point) will explain in more detail and divulging too much at this point would ruin many things  :P

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/Bedroomstart.jpg
A fly in the hand is worth?...

viktor

nice graphics. But the player character dosn't realy fit to the stile background you used (Or is it the other way around?)
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

ryanlandry --> viktor

Quote from: viktor on Wed 30/06/2004 19:19:58
nice graphics. But the player character dosn't realy fit to the stile background you used (Or is it the other way around?)

Hmmm, I really don't see what you mean by that...

Same artist, same style, same day...

All the same techniques applied to both...

Possibly due to the fact that the character is anti-aliased in the screenshot?...

Redwall

I think the style is consistent, but the proportions are not unless the player is a dwarf.

I assume the GUI is just temporary?
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

GarageGothic

I love the background. Beautiful work. Was it drawn from a photograph? The feeling of light coming in through the basement window is absolutely wonderful - especially the bluish tone on the back wall and the shadows cast by the drawing table is great. The box on the floor seems a bit big compared to the table, but it might just be a big box :)

I agree with viktor that the character seems a bit out-of-place, but it's not the styles that don't fit eachother, it's the angles. You've got a very high horizon line (top quarter of the screen), and the character is displayed in a straight-on view. Also, perhaps the proportions of the character are a bit strange (short legs), making him seem smaller than he is. If you compare him to the door, he seems about the right size - only he's quite a bit in front of it.

For some reason I like the simplicity of the interface - it reminds me of the one used in The Dark Half. Not a lot of textures or fancy buttons. But maybe you should consider using a higher resolution font?

ryanlandry

Quote from: Redwall on Wed 30/06/2004 19:38:23
I think the style is consistent, but the proportions are not unless the player is a dwarf.

I assume the GUI is just temporary?

I just need to pump up the scaling a little, not really too concerned about proportions yet (though it's changed now, just for you  ;)).

The GUI actually isn't temporary, at least I don't think it is.
We wanted a much simpler looking GUI that didn't distract from the screens (where the actual important things happen...)

If too many people don't like it, I guess it could change, but I don't really see it happening.

ryanlandry

haha, thanks.

1. It IS a big box ;)

2. Parts of photographs were incorporated (actually just the drawing table) but the room as a whole comes from imagination.

3. When the character is moving he looks just fine (IMHO)

4. The short legs aren't actually that short...the coat comes down lower than the waist line, which sort of gives that impression. (and besides, my brother (who's the artist) sort of modeled the character after himself, and he has short legs :P)

5. We chose the low-res font on purpose, because low-res interfaces rock, rock-on!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk