CJ is not Jesus

Started by WanderLady, Wed 12/11/2003 08:24:25

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

I think the moral of this story is:

If someone offends your religion, keep quiet about it because if you complain, you'll be battered to a pulp by people defending freedom of speech.

remixor

Well, for right or wrong, I think SSH has definitely described the nature of this forum.  It may be wise to take his advice whether you agree with it or not.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Andail

I think that's a bit harsh. If people would post things like "Jesus sucks" or stuff like that, I'd be among the first to tell that person off, and referring to freedom of speech would not help.

My point is that we must try to be open-minded when it comes to whether we actually should be offended.

That, plus what I said in my previous post.

Timosity

Whether I believe in Jesus or not (The pissed cunt [actually that be me]) he/she is trhem self and not CJ obviously, so hey jebus, how come you haven't frequented the forums lately??????????

As soon as Dmitri stopped posting, so did you, where art thou

SSH

Wel,, Wanderlady politely asked people not to offend him by saying things which he found blasphemous. His request had pretty much the opposite effect to which he desired. Some people replied saying "Well, I don't follow  a religion, but I don't think it's offensive", some said "I hate religion" or "here's a list of books that rubbish your faith" and others probably said things far more blasphemous than the original complaint.

So, based on the evidence, the moral of the story is:

If someone offends your religion, keep quiet about it because if you complain, you'll be battered to a pulp by people

OK, maybe they weren't defending freedom of speech, although plenty said "you have no right to force your beliefs on me". I don't see how someone saying
Can it please not be done anymore?
is forcing anything.

However, as Andail said, maybe WanderLady is being over-sensitive. Now, myself I am a Christian and I used to get upset about these things. However, I discovered at my own cost when a teenager that complaining about this simply makes people think that you're an idiot. I'd rather keep that secret! It certainly never achieves any reduction in blasphemy and it puts people off Christianity as it makes Christians seem prudish and killjoys. I try to avoid judging people's actions because I can't presume to speak for God.

So, in summary, those who have ranted bitterly about forcing beliefs are hypocritical, and those who get offended are counter-productive. I, on the othr hand, am perfect.
:P

EDIT: And Timosity is so drunk that he make less sence than usual  :-*

remixor

Now THIS post by SSH is one I can actually acree with, in addition to simply thinking makes sense.

SSH

Quote from: SSH on Wed 12/11/2003 14:41:39
I, on the othr hand, am perfect.
Quote from: remixor on Wed 12/11/2003 14:47:06
Now THIS post by SSH is one I can actually acree with, in addition to simply thinking makes sense.

At last, someone recognises it  ;D

remixor

Quote from: SSH on Wed 12/11/2003 14:50:07
Quote from: SSH on Wed 12/11/2003 14:41:39
I, on the othr hand, am a conceited arse.
Quote from: remixor on Wed 12/11/2003 14:47:06

At last, someone recognises it  ;D

What, you mean the stuff you quoted?  Of course, it's totally obvious. ;)

Haddas

Yes he IS!!!! ( tries to piss ppl off )

Trapezoid

We have the right to joke about religion... WanderLady has as much right to ask us to stop. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you should never accept responsibility for what you say and who it offends.

PeaceMan

Quote from: WanderLady on Wed 12/11/2003 08:24:25
Harmful to your own souls and to those who may read it. So I simply ask,

I'm not trying to take the piss or anything but if this is true why do people keep telling me God is benevolent, forgiving and loves everyone?

Surely "The Powers That Be" have a sense of humour or it wouldn't exist?

juncmodule

Wanderlady, I appreciate what you are asking but, I'm sure you understand it won't really happen. Perhaps your plea was a way of venting frustration. I think all of the replies have conveyed the general idea that we do not intend to hurt you or your religion with these statements. If it does hurt you personally, then we are all good, kind, and loving folk who do not want to hurt you. You should know that some of us, if not all, are sorry that we hurt another human beings feelings. I hope you can see that these comments are our attempts at humor and not to hurt you though. If not then I believe you need to rethink the situation.

Another thing I must point out: I believe you are failing to see a positive point to the situation. We are not trying to insult CJ. We love CJ and appreciate what he has given us. In our mass appreciation we jokingly equate him not to Allah, Jehova, Vishnu, but to YOUR savior, Jesus! We, a WORLD community recognize your religion first. I believe you should reevaluate your faith and how you view the world as a whole. For you to not see this positive point may in fact put your own faith, and more importantly the practice of, into question.

If my post offends you, I apologize, it is not the intention of it. It is simply my intention to encourage you to see the positive in life and not the negative.

I believe that GOD is a loving entity. Non-believers, non-christians, and blasphemers alike may enjoy their place at his side if inside they are truly good souls. If you believe otherwise, perhaps you should ask whether or not your soul is worthy to sit next to him?

EDIT:

Bruised: LOL! I love you.

later,
-junc

Nine Toes

EDIT:

I don't know if anyone read my post before I edited it... I lost my temper.  I hate religion and I hate it when people preach.  But my post was out of line, and maybe a little dramatic.  So pardon me while I step out side for a smoke.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

SSH

juncmodule, I think you didn't read all the posts if you're saying that "the general idea that we do not intend to hurt you or your religion with these statements". Boyd, Bodyart, Terran and some others are obviously trying to do just that.

Pessi

I totally agree with Peaceman, with all due respect to WanderLady. I think it's indeed fair for her to ask us not to do something that she finds offending. However, in this case, I think it's not so much of an offense than it might seem - it's just a joke. No one really thinks CJ is Jesus Christ. It's just a funny (in my opinion) coincidence - nothing more.

I don't think that is blasphemous. I mean, playing around with practically meaningless words and letters. Blasphemous would be assuming that God isn't intelligent enough to see we're only joking. Or something.

I think it's all good as long as they remain innocent like they have been so far.

Bodyart, how about being a bit more subtle?

Goldmund

Growing out of this burning desire to be controversial can sometimes take long.
But it's a normal stage of becoming an adult.
Once people do, they usually realize that it wasn't any wiser than blindly following the preachers.

Edit: this is about Bodyart etc., not Pessi. Pessi was a responsible adult the day he was born. "Good morning, doctor. Good morning, nurse. I hope I haven't caused you much trouble?"

Trapezoid

I can stand a little religious element in a few members...
Bodyart, that's just blatant flamewar provocation. This is CJ's forum, so in the end it's his call, and he's never supported personal attacks like that.
Non-Christians should be as tolerant as they wish Christians would be. If you think WanderLady is annoying, look up Fred Phelps.

Nine Toes

Seriously... I apologize for my post from before.

I'm not going to say anymore about this topic or religion, or anything...  I don't want to piss anyone off.  I'm just going to keep to myself like I usually do, and go and finish my cigarette.  

EDIT:
I wasn't trying to start a flamewar... just voicing my opinion like I always do.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

SSH

Quote from: Pessi on Wed 12/11/2003 17:05:08
I don't think that is blasphemous. I mean, playing around with practically meaningless words and letters. Blasphemous would be assuming that God isn't intelligent enough to see we're only joking. Or something.

I know what you mean, Pessi, but on the other hand:

http://www.biblegateway.org/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&version=NIV&passage=Exodus+20%3A7

Goldmund

The problem, as I see it, is that people, still remembering crusades, witchhunts and what not, think that when attacking religion they oppose a cruel giant and defend right of speech of poor heretics, who burn on stakes.

The truth is, a religious person is a weaker person in modern society. Their beliefs are childishly easy to ridicule, because they're not based on material science - which is the basis of modern thinking. Their conduct is childishly easy to ridicule, because they try to follow some set rules, which are very unfashionable.

When attacking a religious person, you're not a hero. You're doing something which is one of the easiest things in the world. And you're certainly not defending anyone; rational et materialistic ideology does not need an advocate, it being what the world is set on these days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk