CJ is not Jesus

Started by WanderLady, Wed 12/11/2003 08:24:25

Previous topic - Next topic

juncmodule

QuoteBoyd, Bodyart, Terran and some others are obviously trying to do just that

Yeah, sorry, that was worded poorly. I only meant that MORE people were not trying to hurt her feelings, yet still disagreeing with her. I think a majority(? or at least the posts that stand out) of the people that posted were responding in a civil manner.

I just kind of try to ignore the CRAP posts.

EDIT: I just went back through and checked, of the 40 something posts so far only 4 or 5 are insensitive.

later,
-junc

bspeers1000

Quote from: Goldmund on Wed 12/11/2003 17:24:45
When attacking a religious person, you're not a hero. You're doing something which is one of the easiest things in the world. And you're certainly not defending anyone; rational et materialistic ideology does not need an advocate, it being what the world is set on these days.

Except in the US, in which parts have laws against teaching Evolution (or at least strongly worded policy leading to firings), where the constitution is still under a very Christian God, where their motto is "in God we trust" and where most political leaders are dogmatic Christians who only rarely mascurade as open pan-theists.  Seeing how many people here come from the US, where bashing religion is sometimes actually dangerous (considering the rise of anti-abortion terrorists leading to over 80% abortion unavaibility, the fact that Bush regularly sites God in his speeches, the Ten commandments can now legally be put up by the administration in schools (but not communist literature, of course), where being gay is a crime in numerous states, etc), it isn't necessarily easy.

On the other hand, bashing religion light-heartedly is pretty easy on the anonymous net, which is probably why so many Americans vent anti-religious hostility here.  No-one wants to be murdered like gay people or shot at like abortionists, but here, with so many outsiders, people can laugh and join in, relatively safely.

Goldmund

Bspeers: I was unaware of that, in this case you might imagine you're fighting with an opression of some sort... still, even if this is the case in America, I believe my point stands where it comes to personal contacts.
In most european countries it's hard to be a religious person at the age of 18 and not be ridiculed by the majority of peers. And as this blind anger at mobs still burns in me, I tend to take side of the ridiculed minority, even though I'm not religious.

SSH

Quote from: bspeers1000 on Wed 12/11/2003 17:40:31
the Ten commandments can now legally be put up by the administration in schools

So why is some judge in the news today on trial for having the ten commandments in his court?

jannar85

You are God, aren't you Wonderlady?

YES, I AM GOD

Cool! I knew it!  8)

** Edit **
I ran a check of our beloved CJ, and found out that he's a Pumaman now. I think that's a word for God... Oh my God! He has been upgraded!!!!! Holy Shit!
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Barcik

While we are at it, please do not refer to him as Moses, Abraham, Isaac and David either.
;)
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Nacho

Quote from: Duzz on Wed 12/11/2003 10:01:13
historically, the bible is correct farlander, no historian denies the existance or crusifiction of JC, but lets not get into that... (although I'm sure we will)

I don't think blaspheme really applies to non-christians, cause they're all going to hell anyways, and I don't think god would really get that upset about the whole CJ is JC thing anyway, as it's all in jest...
You really shouldnt be offended by people saying it though Wanderlady.  You should be strong enough in your faith that you won't feel compromised by what others say...

anywhoo, I'm going back under my rock...

I said: Cusification is a ROMAN punishement, for crimes against Rome, while the crimes against the Sanhedrin, the Jewish Church, should have been punished with lapidation. I've said that the historycal clues aim that Christ was a revolutionary. I haven't said nothing about he not being real.

[Edit: Fixed broken characters]
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Pumaman

Religion is always a touchy subject, and if somebody says something truly offensive about your beliefs, you have every right to complain.

However, the "CJ/JC" joke is a bit of harmless fun, and really shouldn't offend anybody. I would agree that everybody should be more open minded and see that not everybody has the same beliefs.

What is and isn't offensive is of course a subjective thing, and varies from person to person. However, I'd highly recommend watching the first South Park Mr Hanky episode which deals nicely with just this question.

Meowster

Holy crap, it's jesus!!!

EDIT: CJ, does this mean our child is celestial?

Goldmund

You just behaved like a rude simpleton, Yufster.

Meowster

I resent you making fun of my lack of intelligence.

WanderLady

I must say - even though wisdom is wisdom and right is right at any age or sex - that I'm 23 and male, because references were made in some posts.  

Some answered with thoughtful posts, and I will endeavor to do so, also. With so many, forgive me if I respond in order.

eric: I understood that this would be so(-too much-), but hoped for a surprise where few are given. I am thankful this wasn't locked before some responses were made.

miez:Perhaps you could tell me where in my post that I forced anything on anyone. I did not say, "I believe in Jesus, so don't use his name." I asked - to all - if it would stop. **About being harmful, poseted below.**

Gilbot: As you have no belief, why post?

Duzz: Strength in faith....the strength in faith is that I actually posted knowing the opposition here, and it has been shown that the offence has been taken by my post.

SSH: Aren't those that are hypocritical the ones that are counter-productive?

Trapezoid: There is wisdom in your small post. But the question I pose to you is: Are you the joker, or the stopper?

Peaceman/miez: Those that tell you God is loving and forgiving are telling you the truth.
There are some things that one inherently knows as wrong. But because of one's professed 'openness', one is no longer able to discern that which is right and that which is wrong. This is harmful to one's soul, and to a lesser degree, one's body, mind, heart.

Bodyart: In a way, I would have liked to have read what you originally wrote, but I am glad you had second thoughts. If there is any surprise here, it is your apologizing. THAT is courageous.

Pessi: Is God's name to be joked with?

Goldmund: Your post, like Trapezoid's, has wisdom within as some of your words coincide with the Word of God. So I ask you the same question: Are you the joker or the stopper? You have taken a side, but for what purpose?

CJ: Your words bring to mind a quote as it has a semblance of wisdom, but it is not from the bible. It's from a well-known movie, said by a well-known actor.
The last line spoken by Al Pacino in 'Devil's Advocate':
(paraphrased) "Vanity...definitely my favorite sin."
A part of me actually thought that you would post in agreement, and the same part still believes you could, but....

Many posted about respect(of beliefs) and openness, but are you really either of those? Now that I seemingly stand alone on this topic, will you give me(and probably others) the respect spoken of by not posting the reference, or will you continue on hypocritically? I asked a question and only one seemed to give an answer, and even that was in jest. But like I said, it's what I expected when I started the topic, but not that which I hoped.

With Love,
WanderLady

quintaros (at work)

Quote from: WanderLady on Wed 12/11/2003 22:14:34
Many posted about respect(of beliefs) and openness, but are you really either of those? Now that I seemingly stand alone on this topic, will you give me(and probably others) the respect spoken of by not posting the reference, or will you continue on hypocritically?

I don't believe there is any hypocricy in respecting  your opinion while continuing to exercise my own judgement.  

Bionic Bill

This thread is generally very mature. I'm rather wowed. Let me say: hurrah to everyone.

I'm glad that the off-the-cuff and rather easy reply of, "I have free speech NOW SHUTUP," has been mostly avoided.

Wanderlady: you've asked nicely, and please, please don't try to press the issue. You can give your fellow man the opportunity to make your life nicer. You're probably not going to be able to convince anyone who doesn't already take Jesus' name as something carrying a lot of weight. Religious/Philosophical debate simply doesn't do well (usually) on messageboards. Except when Helm and I went straight from debate into working on Crown of Gold. That was fun. Well, I guess that's all. Remember to be loving.

DGMacphee

ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

m0ds

I think WanderLady has a fair point, she did ask kindly. I'm sure that if someone were to jokingly call Cj (or another forum member) "nigga" [in the 'sup nigga'] constantly, or refer to him in this way I'm sure someone would possibly find it offensive, and I think that because it's a racial matter people would stop right away.

I don't understand why people don't judge religion in the same way. Religion is something that is fluent throughout the world and even if you don't believe in it, you have to accept its existence, and really I believe you shouldn't discriminate against it. If someone had a fairly resemblant name of the word (and I hate to be racist again) "Nigger", would you start calling him it? Probably not because you're well aware that you would offend a lot of people and racism isn't tolerated (especially not on the forums) and so why should something that affects someones beliefs be any more tolerable?

I'm not particularly religious but I'd be happy to stop calling him Jesus Chris or Christ Jones or what not if someone or some people find it offensive.

I agree that really an online forum isn't the best place to air your beliefs in the same way you wouldn't come online and say you're a pedophile or that you've recently come out of prison for murder or what not. BUT, as WanderLady is here and is being subjected to it - I think we should try and do as she asks.

If that didn't make any sense, it's because I don't know what I'm talking about.

:p
m0ds

quintaros (at work)

I think its a bad thing when people have a knee-jerk reaction to any words.  It is said that racism is a learned/taught trait.  I think the same could be said for finding things offensive.  I think one makes a choice to be offended by something and I make the choice not to because I think productive comes out of it.

Mods, you seem to think it is racist to use the word "Nigger" in your post.  But the context was nothing of the sort.  

Context is important and the context of this "CJ as Christ" topic is a joke.

MrColossal

wanderlady...

Pessi: Is God's name to be joked with?

what if he doesn't believe in god? shouldn't you take that into question before asking the entire community to stop something that maybe no one else sees as insulting?

i understand that a hardcore belief in god requires one to be a bit myopic to others [i'm not trying to be insulting it's true, it's probably extremely hard to be a hardcore religious person and still be able to fathom someone just not believing in god, it's like someone telling my that there's no such thing as gravity] but again if you're going to choose to be a member of an online community, or any community, that involves a large mixed group of races, religions, beliefs, hair styles, you have to understand that not everyone is going to agree with you and a response to Pessi like the one you gave does not take that into account.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Nine Toes

Quote from: WanderLady on Wed 12/11/2003 22:14:34
Bodyart: In a way, I would have liked to have read what you originally wrote, but I am glad you had second thoughts. If there is any surprise here, it is your apologizing. THAT is courageous.

Honestly, you wouldn't have wanted to read it... I made some pretty harsh statements about you, your religion, and religion in general.  After I posted it, I re-read it and realized that it's not my place to judge you just because of who you are or what church you follow.  I just kind of snapped because I am probably the least pious person you'll ever meet... I'm just an angry guy who sees no reason to beleive in any type of god or diety and think is stupid to do so... but I'm not going to rub this all in your face.  As long as you (and the rest of the forum) accept my apology, I've got nothing more to say about this topic.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

WanderLady

m0ds: A very mature post. Thank you for the respect it gives. It, also, was a surprise.

Bodyart: Though angry you may be, your apologetic words lead me to believe that goodness dwells in you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk