CJ is not Jesus

Started by WanderLady, Wed 12/11/2003 08:24:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Paper Carnival

Quotethe Byble story is IMHO ridiculous

That was enough. I am a Christian myself and I don't mind if you are blaspheming Jesus, as you are not hurting him or me, but you are hurting yourself. Go on and do that. It's you people who are acting offencively, as you are actually naming us religious people as idiots who can't express their own opinions.

I am not offended by you calling CJ Jesus, but I am offended by the whole threat. I mean, you are calling me an idiot. What would you do if I called *you* an idiot who doesn't *want* to believe in Jesus because if christianity is true indeed then he goes to hell?

Really, atheists have no idea what being a christian is like. And I am talking about a *real* christian, not a christian who goes to church every sunday while his behaviour is not acceptable by christianity. Crusades did not happen because of christianity, but they happened because of the people who created them. Doing the crusades in the name of christianity was their mistake and they are blasphemic more than you guys.

If you think that church or the Pope or whatever are sometimes against christianity, then fine; that's what I think too. I don't recognise any human authority and I don't remember Jesus ever said anything that we should. I only recognise God's authority and I am only obeying to some stupid laws on earth because I have to and not because I recognise them. So, people who do evil things in the name of religion are obviously sinners and blasphemers, as I am sure God doesn't accept their actions.

And if you wanna know, christianity says that all of us are sinners. So, what does this mean? Everybody goes to hell? No. You don't have to stop doing everything you like to go to heaven, but that doesn't mean that you should do it as often as you like either. Just try to avoid it and when you do it, be sorry; really sorry. God will forgive you if He thinks that He should.

I am not saying that all of you people are offending to me, so I am sorry if I sounded like it. I know there are people who respect my beliefs, but most of you are completely mocking me. I am sorry if I offended somebody of my beliefs. I was a bit offending to Catholics or people who respect the church. I didn't say that church is completely stupid or anything, I just said that you don't really have to go there, but if you can then why not?

Note that I haven't read all of the posts yet so I am sorry if I have mentioned something that has been said before.

Scummbuddy

Now, I am more of an evolutionist than a Christian, but I really resent the fact that if there is a heaven, and I don't practice praying much, *I would think that God would get tired of us asking for things all the time, if he has a plan for everything ,then what good would it do to pray for things* but I am a very good guy. I dont drink or smoke, I donate blood, I give money and food to homeless people, help out at soup kitchen type places, build houses with my church and help fix up others, and most of all, I don't lie, cheat or steal.  Now, I'm not trying to get praise for what I do, I do it because it needs to be done. I can't wait to have enough money to help get people off the streets for good.  I feel I'm here on Earth to do good and to help people.  I get deep pains seeing other people suffering from worldly things that can be solved. I don't want to be part of a religion that won't accept me as the way I am.  Being made in Gods likeness, he made us this way, and then he goes on to test us?

Some religions (not trying to be mean here) will have you praying five times a day to God.  That seems a bit egotistical of God to me.

Anyways, I was born a Christian, I want to believe in God, but if he also can not take this joke of Jesus Chris, then thats really sad.

And I don't remember reading about Dinosaurs in the Bible.  Could that be that the people who wrote it didn't know that they once existed?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Quintaros

Scummbuddy touched upon what I wanted to say with the comment of an "egotistical"  god.

Isn't Vanity one of the deadly sins?  And Blasphemy is against one of the 10 Commandents.  It seems rather vain to me that God would establish laws to protect his own image.

Scavenger

IMHO...

I think a sentence to sum up religion is:
"The only true beliefs are your own."

Which means, no matter what anyone tries to force onto you, only what YOU think is right IS right. Same with anyone else. When you die, what you truly believe will happen will happen. I believe that when you die, you are reborn again, and again, and again, until you finally have a balance of good and evil. Other people may believe different beliefs, and theirs are also right. Nobody is wrong. But the reason people preach is because they want others to share their true beliefs, cause they believe that their beliefs are right. Which they are. But about as equally right as the preachee. AAagh! I'm so confused! Anyway...

Religion has a lot of strange things in it. Calling someone Jesus Christ is NOT blasphemous, it is in fact a complement. Some people might say: "They're the next *insert celebrity here*". Is the celebrity in question supposed to be INSULTED? Is Jesus Christ different from anyone else, anyone famous or non famous, just because his father is God? Did he really come from Heaven, and do all these things and got killed? Why would God sacrifice his own son so he can prove his own power? All these questions have no answers other than your own.

(I don't mean to be insulting, I'm sorry. But I feel that people who try and say: "You're only hurting yourself! You'll go to hell just for typing a certain thing! Your soul is in danger by complimenting someone in comparing them (on a much smaller scale) to Jesus!"
Believe what you wish. Let others believe what they wish. You're all correct in your thinking.)

Eep long post. If you wish to kill me for what I type, please don't. I'm just another person expressing their opinion. Don't bother trying to hack my ramblings apart! I make no sense anyway.

A Guest

Quote from: WanderLady on Wed 12/11/2003 08:24:25...So I simply ask,

Can it please not be done anymore?

Hello forum. I am a gamer/designer who has only recently shown interest in AGS, and, while I think it is a wonderfully versatile piece of software, I have decided that I do not feel that this forum will be of any help to me in my processes of learning anything about the studio or any of its designing systems.

I believe that the post that started this thread was very minimal as far as the level of understanding required to interpret it was concerned, and the actions of the people who took the occasion to jump all over the individual who asked such as simple a question as "please stop this action because it offends me" simply infuriated and disgusted me.

If as simple a request cannot be honored, or for that matter, understood for what it was (not an authoritative command, nor a put-down, nor anything of any sort other than what the author initially described it as being: a respectful “plea”), how am I to assume that the members of this forum would behave if I asked such as simple a question at some point in time? Such a thought scares me.

It appears to me that, upon asking a simple question or making a simple, respectful request, I could be attacked by enormously vicious individuals, predisposed and in actuality quite arrogant (not to mention egotistic), who think that their opinion is perfectly accurate 100% of the time, and who believe that they are exclusively correct in any matter, even that of spiritual issues, which, as far as is my understanding at least, no human can truly understand.

Because this seems logically equivalent to the level of "help" I would receive by becoming a permanent member of this forum, you may count me out of it completely, since I wish to have no part in commuting with such people who are so self-centered that they will totally ignore the thought that maybe, just maybe, somebody else is right about something, and that perhaps, just perhaps, they are wrong in some way.

I wish NOT to associate with people who are so vain that they take a simple plea and make it into a religion-bashing people-bashing idea-bashing moral-bashing thread that only genuine misanthropes would take any part in at all.

However, I will not forget to acknowledge the select few who come onto the scene quietly, in a civilized, insightful manner, intent on respecting everybody's attributes, even if they don't agree with them---or even if they know for a fact that certain beliefs/practices/traditions are totally false.

For who truly knows if religion at all holds any legitimacy? Certainly people who believe *themselves* to be the singular authority over all matters (and based on WHAT principles, anyway?) ought to know better than those who are quiet, studious, thoughtful...and perhaps, those who really choose to want to know about such things...right?

Of course, THAT is the real choice; we all know, in our spirits, that there IS a God. Now, to admit it or not; that's your choice, and eventually the consequences of whatever you choose will catch up with you, as do any and all actions performed in life itself (it’s a law of the universe). So, speaking exclusively for myself, I'm not afraid to admit that I believe in God...

But I'll leave you merely with that thought; if I said any more I would probably succeed in locking the forum. ;)

Btw, if you need a translation, just ask and I’ll informalize the whole thing. :)

Meowster

QuoteI do not feel that this forum will be of any help to me in my processes of learning anything about the studio or any of its designing systems.

No, that would be correct. Try the technical help forum.

Bionic Bill

I'm gonna go ahead and say this thread has worn out its welcome. I can't imagine anything useful being added.

Pessi

It's such a shame to lose such a thoughtful person over this. :(

But as you put it, Guest, it does reflect the way of this forum like that. Nonetheless, as a defense, I'd like to say that it has always been this way with threads dealing with religion. It's not the way it's supposed to be but I suppose no one is perfect. I personally haven't found this kind of atmosphere in practically any other kind of threads. If you ever come across problems, check out the Techical Discussion forum or the Critic's Lounge. They're bound to be helpful as personal issues don't get to limit anyone's good will.

I think it was the soul hurt part that got people mad, by the way.

And Scavenger, I think you have a really good point. I also think there are basically as many religions as there are people.

Paper Carnival

Thank you, Guest, whoever you are  ;D

Just an addition to what I have said above. This is a reply to many posts I haven't read before I posted my previous post.

I used to be a "fake" christian. You know, I didn't really believe to God but I was doing so because I was raised by christian family. I was simply afraid to stand up for my self. After I grew up, I was sure about it; I was an atheist. I mean, I had the same views on anything with most of you atheist guys and I was so sure that christianity was fake and nothing could prove the opposite.

About half a year ago, I met some great person who spoke to me about God and all that. That person made me rethink everything and I finally believed in God. That guy did not brainwash me, but said to me what was necessary. He planted the seed and now look at me... I finally really believe.

So, I know and fully understand the way you think, because I used to think exactly like that. I know that it seems christianity is completely redicilous to you. Well, it is not if you truly believe. There are answers to every question you asked there, though I am too lazy to post them (at least now).

I am sorry for the guy I used to be. That's all I can say for now and I hope you are given a new chance in the future, like what happened to me.

shbaz

Oh guest, you're posting in the General forum, no AGS questions get answered here. In fact, this is the waste dump for the people who want to be offensive and impose their non-AGS views on other people. It shouldn't happen in the other forums, and if it does, it gets moved here.

Saying that we all "know" there is a god deep inside us is ridiculous. It's just as ridiculous as any other "ignorant" post that was made here. I can personally assure you I have never had such a feeling, and when I was 12 or so and I could finally get away with not going to church, I stopped, because it was faking that I had some sort of belief. I don't think you christians really know what it's like to be an atheist, because no matter how much we insist that we don't care and never will, you insist upon telling us damnation awaits us unless we find your ways. Our view toward you is much different, it's pretty much summed up in three words. "Don't bother me." That applies to a lot of other people as well, not just Atheists. Might explain why so much crap was made over this. I appreciate the christians here who share my "Don't bother me" philosophy. You are a unique group who I hope will dominate the christian community. The world will then become enveloped in a, "Hey, don't bother us, and we won't bother you," blanket, and no one will get offended by harmless comments as have been freely said before. No one likes an extremist of any sort but their own.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Barcik

Guest, I think you are making false accusations. most people here are far from "vicious" or "self-centred". In fact, I can safely say that this the friendliest forum I've ever seen. I can't recall one time that a debate became vulgar because one person disagreed with the other. If you post a request, especially about tech stuff, people are most likely to very helpful.

I think you are wrong to judge people according to debate about such a topic. Yes, some people went too far - but it's still a very long way from everybody being "arrogant" and "egoistic". Please, check other threads, even the heated war threads, before reaching such conclusions.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Meowster

QuoteOf course, THAT is the real choice; we all know, in our spirits, that there IS a God. Now, to admit it or not; that's your choice, and eventually the consequences of whatever you choose will catch up with you, as do any and all actions performed in life itself (it’s a law of the universe). So, speaking exclusively for myself, I'm not afraid to admit that I believe in God...

So basically Athiests are people who know there's a god and choose not to follow it.

Man am I glad you were just a guest.

I'm out of this thread now because it's just causing me to be rude and annoying and immature, and I'm usually not. At least, you know, try not to be. I hate to hit and run, so PM me if you have any serious issues.

Ciao, or something.

EDIT: This thread is uncharacteristic of me. It's a bad example of AGS too. As Barcik said, it's a friendly place. In fact, I'm often overwhelmed by just how helpful and friendly people can be here. Usually I am a much nicer person than this, I swear to god. Oops, I mean, vishnu.

Pumaman

Ok, I think that's enough for this thread.

Actually, I have to say it was a rather calm debate, compared to what can happen when religion is the topic ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk