Need suggestions for a new general version of Desktop Roger

Started by TerranRich, Fri 14/11/2003 15:33:19

Previous topic - Next topic

TerranRich

If you don't remember what Desktop Roger was, it was a program I made that was meant to replace Roger when he wasn't in the IRC chatroom, and it was meant to be run on your computer as a standalone EXE. He basically could tell other users messages almost the same way IRC Roger can, and can use the Internet to Google, Define, etc. Basically you treated DeskRog like IRCRog in that you type in commands in a speech balloon as if speaking to him, and he would talk back in the same way.

I am now working on a more general version of DeskRog which isn't so AGS oriented and will be understood by non-AGSers. So far I have the following capabilities:

eBay [search], Google, Google ("I'm Feeling Lucky"), Yahoo!, Altavista, HotBot, Lyrics [search], IMDb [search], Half.com [search], Download.com [search], Amazon [search], Define, and Urban Define.

I am also going to add various things like 8-Ball, Random Number, and Roll Die/Dice.

I was wondering if anybody out there could give me ideas on what else to add, whether it be Internet related queries or other neat useful tools.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

SSH

Matt Brown

hows about an urban dictionary search? Then it can also serve as a 1337-decoder
word up

Scummbuddy

he said urban define, so i assumed that that meant the same
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

TerranRich

Panda, that's a great suggestion! So great, in fact, that I traveled back in time a few hours and made sure I added that to my post when I wrote it! ;D I KEED, I keed!

Any REAL ideas? :P

remixor

Unless I just forgot how to do this, you need a way to log in.  I registered when you first released it, then reformatted my machine, and now DeskRog just tells me "there's already someone named remixor" and I can't use the name.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Matt Brown

my bad rich, I didnt know those were the same things
word up

TerranRich

I know, I was only kidding with you Panda. :)

As for the logging in thing, that's done with, as this Desktop program won't be ROger, and won't have messaging. At least not until I can perfect logging in, etc.

Any other ideas?

Hinders

----

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk