The Hop Garden (updated 13 Nov 03)

Started by Tomus, Sun 16/11/2003 10:50:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomus

13. 12. 2003 (a little bit later :)
----------------------------
Three new shots of the main character. Enjoy...

13. 12. 2003
Two new screenshots show the main menu and inventory. I'll post some pics of characters soon - the game definitely will NOT be in first person, but I think that characters made in Poser should fit its style much more than the character on the previous shots...

30. 11. 2003
I have some new screens for you, there is also the hop garden itself and the new interface we made for the game. Enjoy...

22. 11. 2003
The graphics are almost finished, we're now working on the dabing and started scripting the game itself in AGS. You can expect a demoversion with the first chapter soon, but I'm afraid there will be only czech version available at first, but I'll try to translate it to english as soon as possible.

16. 11. 2003
Finally I got to work on a game based on my brigade work on hop fields... it will be a funny game in czech and english, the graphics are in 3D MAX. This isn't the final art that will appear in the game, just work version, but you can give suggestions...

So - this is the promised intro sequence, the narrator is a young student, the main hero of the game... Enjoy

EGO: "Hi. Girls call me asshole â€" and so do the boys."
EGO: "Anyways, my name is Majer. Honza Majer. At least for the purposes of this game."
EGO: "Well, and I’m gonna tell you my story, so sit back and listen…"
EGO: "It’s hard to say, what we did wrong that year. Maybe we shouldn’t decide to try a brigade work on hop fields. Maybe we shouldn’t make a deal with an agronomic company. Maybe we shouldn’t subscribe ourselves to daily eight hours long slavery on the hop garden for three dollars as a week fee. Maybe we shouldn’t sit into a prehistoric coach taking us to the Knezeves village. Like I said: hard to say…"
EGO: "Anyways: some terrible mistake definitely had happened â€" and one beatiful day we found ourselves staying in a horrible agronomic building called "hotel", but just for fun, with the vision of a week with eight hours of daily work on field with “nice” Slovak overseer, aggressive hop rootstocks and â€" what was the worst thing about it â€" that we're not able to back out of it anyhow."
EGO: "Well â€" there wasn't anything we could do. Our fatalism lead us directly nowhere else than to the pub. Sentence "Let's piss on the hop, let's go for a beer." became a real motto of our entire brigade."
EGO: "The next day, I woke up with rightly weighty head and I didn't remembered last nights events very well. The others were already prepared next to a trailer which was here to take us to the hop garden. The only thing which they were waiting for, was obviously me..."
EGO: "But â€" I couldn't set off for the hop garden in this condition! The thing that I wasn't really my own man and was feeling terrible pain in my head, didn't hinder me from a bright account that I need to find the tools necessary to work on field and a mess tin to eat my lunch from."

More to come at the official website (now english version also available) - http://chmelnica.bonusweb.cz

oscar

I love it! will the game be in 1st person? otherwise, please make the character in 2d =)

Tomus

I'm not still definitely decided, but the game should be 1st person...

Soon, I'll post the english version of the intro texts, so you'll have a chance to judge the level of humor in the game...

Inkoddi

I like the bottom one, but the top one makes my eyes hurt. It looks like there's a huge spotlight in the back. Is that red lamp the only source of light? If so, you should change the lightning a bit...

Tomus

Ikoddi - yes, you're right... the shading will be different in the final version of this room...

Tomus

So - this is the promised intro sequence, the narrator is a young student, the main hero of the game... Enjoy

EGO: "Hi. Girls call me asshole â€" and so do the boys."
EGO: "Anyways, my name is Majer. Honza Majer. At least for the purposes of this game."
EGO: "Well, and I’m gonna tell you my story, so sit back and listen…"
EGO: "It’s hard to say, what we did wrong that year. Maybe we shouldn’t decide to try a brigade work on hop fields. Maybe we shouldn’t make a deal with an agronomic company. Maybe we shouldn’t subscribe ourselves to daily eight hours long slavery on the hop garden for three dollars as a week fee. Maybe we shouldn’t sit into a prehistoric coach taking us to the Knezeves village. Like I said: hard to say…"
EGO: "Anyways: some terrible mistake definitely had happened â€" and one beatiful day we found ourselves staying in a horrible agronomic building called "hotel", but just for fun, with the vision of a week with eight hours of daily work on field with “nice” Slovak overseer, aggressive hop rootstocks and â€" what was the worst thing about it â€" that we're not able to back out of it anyhow."
EGO: "Well â€" there wasn't anything we could do. Our fatalism lead us directly nowhere else than to the pub. Sentence "Let's piss on the hop, let's go for a beer." became a real motto of our entire brigade."
EGO: "The next day, I woke up with rightly weighty head and I didn't remembered last nights events very well. The others were already prepared next to a trailer which was here to take us to the hop garden. The only thing which they were waiting for, was obviously me..."
EGO: "But â€" I couldn't set off for the hop garden in this condition! The thing that I wasn't really my own man and was feeling terrible pain in my head, didn't hinder me from a bright account that I need to find the tools necessary to work on field and a mess tin to eat my lunch from."

Tomus

If any of you speak czech (which isn't very probable, I know), you can try http://chmelnica.bonusweb.cz - it's the official homepage. I promise I'll make an english version soon.

Kweepa

Quote from: Tomus on Sun 16/11/2003 16:49:43

Damn, I like Czech beer.
I hope this game isn't going to put me off it.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Minimi

Hey, I've been once on vacation to Prague, in Czech... and I loved that beer!!! I still can remember the name... Staropramen! :) I bought like 20 liters and smuggled it to holland :D It's soooo cheap there!

But anyway... I like the screenshots, and I think you modelled the beds very nice. It gives me a very anno2003 feeling .... dunno why?!  ???

So keep up the good work!! Cheers!

Tomus

Hm, Staropramen, that's one of the best, but I would suggest you even more the Gambrinus or Pilsner Urquell (which are from Plzeň, Staropramen is from Prague). These are our best beers :o)
But you're right that the beer is very cheap in Czech republic - and I hope it won't change by joining the EU...

jaz

Hmm,
it´s always nice to meet a fellow AGSer... I´m Czech too, cheers

*jaz gulps from his emergency beerbottle he always carries with him, like   every Czech*

Looks promising, even though I think that only Czechs could really appraise the subtle humour that would inevitably be connected with game that is based upon hop fields brigade ;)

Anyway this game should rock.

*Moral* As I found out, you guys that make this game are only 16 and 17!!!
How the hell were you able to get the beer at Knezeves pub!!! ;D

Laters

PS: to Minimi: Next time get a Budweiser/Budvar (the original Czech one, not the American shit) or Pilsner Urquell. Not that I would have anything against Staropramen, of course. :D

Tomus

Jaz, it's even worse than you think - we were only between 15 and 16 when we were in Knezeves... but that didn't stop us from drinking five or six beers a day (there were also guys who did ten each day, but the majority wasn't such mad... :o)

Minimi

tnx for the advice jazz and tomus! I was only like 14 years old, and my first time getting drunk was in prague. So I just thought it was real czech beer...argh....

Is Czech joining the EU?? Doomed!! EU sucks... it's much better to see a country with their own money... and yes... the beer price will become much more expensive if they join the EU! :(

Tomus

So the homepage now offers also a very limited english version, so don't hesitate to see http://chmelnica.bonusweb.cz

Tomus

Expect new screenshot to come at the weekend. They will show also some new rooms.

Tomus

So the sreens are here. What do you think about them?

Chicky

very good screens, but im sorry to say that in my opinion the character totally ruins them. I think you should go for a style much like myst totally in first person, im sorry to say this but i think it'd improve it soo much.

Tomus

I can see only two problems with the character:
- he doesn't have a shadow, but the environment is shaded pretty well on my opinion. But that is a problem I'm not able to solve... I don't know how to get shadows into the AGS.
- he doesn't have enough polygons, so he doesn't look as good as hand-drawn ones, but that should be improved

jaz

Hi Tomus,
methink that the pictures are quite good but I really must say that the character sticks out like a sore thumb :(
He just doesn´t fit in.  Throw in a few more muscles, maybe. He looks like undernourished ninja...

Ermm... but otherwise good stuff, you sure know how to make good rendered BGs. Maybe you should really consider moving to first person.

But WTF why bitching about somebody´s style, do what you wanna do, you´re doing this for fun after all, am I right ;D? And I think it´s gonna be fun first person or not.

Laters.

Tomus

Hm, I don't know if the Myst style would be so much better as you present it. But honestly, I promise I'll think about it and test it a bit... thanks for your suggestions and comments

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk