Chizoon Contest! Changed deadline for lazy people! November 17 - December 3

Started by Ben, Mon 17/11/2003 21:17:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

RED ALERT! RED ALERT! INCOMING TRANSMISSION!

Because nobody has entered yet, I've decided to move the judging date to December 3.. However, if nobody enters by Saturday (Nov. 29), I'm going to close the competiton and take suggestions for a new one..

END TRANSMISSION! HAVE A NICE DAY!

--------

Right. Geoffkhan won last week's contest, but said I could take over, since he already hosted one recently. So let's make him proud, kiddies!

I was thinking about something last night. You know how when you're browsing through your midi patches or sample collection, you sometimes come accross a sound that makes you cringe? You hear that abrasive synth or that tinny piano and say to yourself, "I'm never going to use that HORRIBLE NOISE in MY BEAUTIFUL MUSIC!!"

Well, that's this week's challenge. You're not too cool to befriend those misfit samples. Find those instruments or sound effects that you never dreamed could be used in GOOD music-- combine them with a few other instruments of your choice in any way you find suitable. And create something that will melt our brains with ORGASMIC MUSICAL PLEASURE!

Any questions?

Gregjazz

Nice idea!

I had done something like that about a year ago, in which I took all the worst sounding soundfonts that I never used and made a song with them. Actually, it didn't even come close to "beautiful music". :)

Evil

My guitar is out of tune. Maybe I'll plug it in an give it a shot for fun.

shbaz

Your guitar may be out of tune, but the amp I built randomly makes these loud "WEEEEHHHHHH" buzzes in the background for whatever reason. I dunno if I should fix it or leave it and try to do this.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Evil

I have a dirrect pulg. It plugs into my pickup and into my pc. Its only like a few doller parts at Radio Shack.

EldKatt

Quote from: shbazjinkens on Tue 18/11/2003 00:37:18
[...] but the amp I built randomly makes these loud "WEEEEHHHHHH" buzzes in the background for whatever reason.

Well, won't that merely make this contest even easier for you? :P

remixor

Man, what happened to the tune contests when we could just compose a MIDI tune?  :(  I suppose I really should learn all of this sampling/soundfounts/etc. business...
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

EldKatt

You certainly have a point, remixor... I'm a composer rather than a producer, so I kind of prefer the ones where MIDI is enough as well.

Nevertheless, this isn't so bad an idea. :)

Gregjazz

Well, it's good to learn how to use samples and soundfonts and stuff, so your music sounds good in games. But I will say that it is also good to compose using General Midi also -- it's limiting soundwise, and teaches you how to make terrible instruments sound good.

Ben

Remixor: You can still use General MIDI. This competition is meant to get the most out of limited sounds.. Perfect for midi.

Find a use for that helicopter sound-- nobody ever uses that :P.. Or just use one of the instruments for something it wasn't meant to do. Play a bassline on the glokcenspiel or something..

n3tgraph

I think we should limit this to MIDI sounds only :)

hence the fun and then everybody would have the same horrifying sounds ;)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Trapezoid

I dunno, not everyone has the same midi card. For instance, for all you know bass glockenspiel might sound GOOD on my computer.

remixor

We could render midis as mp3s then, I suppose.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

loominous

Or we could simply skip any themes that includes:

(i) funny sounds

which indeed always turn out to be very amusing

(ii) any other where the focus isn t on melody and/or arrangement

making the soundquality unimportant
Looking for a writer

Ben

*sigh*

Should I move the deadline so you guys can spend a few more weeks talking? ;)

I know that not all midi cards sound the same. I think this competition can still work with midi, though. Take and instrument and do something with it that we won't expect..

Gregjazz

Quote from: Ben on Fri 21/11/2003 20:59:50
*sigh*

Should I move the deadline so you guys can spend a few more weeks talking? ;)

I know that not all midi cards sound the same. I think this competition can still work with midi, though. Take and instrument and do something with it that we won't expect..

Very well put. Even if General Midi it sounds different on different soundcards, General Midi will never cease to have bad sounding instruments.

Sluggo

Alright, here's my entry:

It's called Oceanside Tribal Ritual
http://cygnes.homestead.com/files/tribal.mp3

Here's the midi:

http://cygnes.homestead.com/files/tribal.mid

Instruments:
Seashore
Taiko Drums
Shamisen
Birds
Breath noise
Flute
Tinkle Bell
Helicopter

Ben

Sluggo saves the contest! I guess that means I can finally sleep..

It's a nice song. It's calming, but a bit ominous as well. I'll try to give a more in-depth comment when all the other entries are in.. That is, if there are any other entries.  :P

Gregjazz

No kidding. If nobody else enters, maybe I'll whip up something in my spare time.

EldKatt

Quote from: Geoffkhan on Mon 01/12/2003 03:46:15
No kidding. If nobody else enters, maybe I'll whip up something in my spare time.

I say precisely the same thing. But it's a bit late. Eh... we'll see.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk