Beyond Reality - Slightly Less Buggy Version

Started by Meowster, Mon 24/11/2003 20:37:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Meowster

Here's the NEWER, FIXEDEDER version. It contains less bugs, and more Oomph.

1. Changed intro dialog
2. Added new screen to intro
3. Added hotspot names, interactions
4. Added inventory LOOK interactions.
5. Fixed the GUI
6. Fixed the Window in the Attic.
7. Fixed the USE PILLS thing, the lazy person way.
8. Fixed USE STAIRWAY in the Dream World Entrance.
9. You can now feed the bird.
10. Fixed Sign in Zitrahajin
11. Fixed Barwoman+Dialog
12. Fixed 'Tunnels' intro
13. Wrote a long list of things I fixed
14. Added READ ME FIRST and E Booklet.
15. Credited SSH
16. Edited opening credits
17. Spelled Petteri's Surname.
18. Changed some of the settings randomly.
19. Ripped off the Grim Fandango Help File.
20. Made it to 20 with the list of fixed stuff.

Beyond Reality

Beyond Reality is about a guy, who, you know. Okay so one day he stays in this inn and then this guy steals this kid and then Ian, the guy you are... he meets this girl and he goes after the kid into this DREAM WORLD, and he does all this awesome and cool stuff that's all just a dream, and then he goes to rescue the kid right, and he like, totally rescues the kid. Only for some reason, perhaps to leave room for a sequel or perhaps it was a mistake, but we never rescue the kid. But it's awesome and you will like it.

I think I'm manic depressive.

Dave Gilbert

Inkoddi

Half a cheer for Yufster!! hip hip, HOO

Edit: dang... can't download...   ...great, now I have to wait an hour...  ...bloody geocities

Meowster

No, no screenie. Go away. And are you calling me a whore?

*uploads a screenshot quietly without anybody noticing*

SSH

Are you looking for bug reports/typos, or would you rather not know about them?

Spoiler

There's only one B in hobo
[close]

Meowster

In my mind, there are two Bs, and everything is perfect and just how it should be.

Except that I forgot to credit SSH. I'm sorry! Did I tell you how HOTTTT I think scottish accents are?

Dave Gilbert

What's the game about?

Harvester

I am downloading it! It better be good, or else... Or else Pizza The Hot is gonna send out... for YOU!
None shall pass!

Paranoid Factor

Meowster

*sigh*

I swore that no matter how buggy it was, that was it. It was over and I was done. Now here are some known bugs which I will be forced to fix.

1. SSH is not credited even though he is awesome.
2. You can't scroll on the menu bar. Not that you ever get enough items to want to do that.
3. Here's the biggy: When you feed... wait. Spoiler.
Spoiler

When you feed the bird the laxatives, Ian BECOMES STUCK. You need to wait until you have the Snake and the Paint. Use the snake and the paint together, and then use it on the bird before/after giving him the laxatives. This'll unstick you.
[close]
4. Hobo only has one B.
4.5 Don't use the rope on the tree. Don't.
5. Entire game will fuck you over, rape you and leave you in a ditch somewhere.

big brother

The little of the game I've seen so far is very atmospheric.

A few things, though --

1. I was mildly annoyed that I couldn't skip any of the lines in the intro cutscene.

2. Whether directed at a hotspot or an inventory item, the LOOK AT command rarely elicits a response of any sort.

3. How do you eat the sleeping pills? I can't just USE them, USE them on myself, on the empty pill bottle, or anything.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Pet Terry

WOOHOO!

I'll download it as soon as my exam week is over (that'll be friday).
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

SSH

Quote from: big brother on Tue 25/11/2003 07:00:36
The little of the game I've seen so far is very atmospheric.

A few things, though --

1. I was mildly annoyed that I couldn't skip any of the lines in the intro cutscene.

2. Whether directed at a hotspot or an inventory item, the LOOK AT command rarely elicits a response of any sort.

3. How do you eat the sleeping pills? I can't just USE them, USE them on myself, on the empty pill bottle, or anything.

I second each of these points exactly. The number of "dead" hotspots made it feel like Syberia! I also like to skip text generally (I haven't tried reloading a game yet) and how  the hopping heck do you take the sleeping pills?

I know that you're probably fed up of it by now, but these comments are only there because IT SEEMS SO GREAT: JUST A LITTLE MORE and you will have perfection.

Dave Gilbert

Howdy Yuf,

Hm, okay I played for awhile and I have to agree with the comments made so far.  The lack of interaction just makes the game seem so... empty.  Hardly anything has a look description, so I have no idea what anything is.

Spoiler

There's a note in the kitchen.  YOu can even pick up the note.  But you can't read the note!  Argh!
[close]

I did manage to take the sleeping pills, but it was just through random clicking on my part.  

Spoiler

You should have a USE interaction with the bottle and have the character try and open it and mention the child-proof cap.  Also, once I broke open the bottle, I LOOKED at the pills, and Ian ate them!  It made no sense.
[close]

Some doors you have to WALK to, while others you have to USE to enter.  Some doors nothing happens at all.

Some important hotspots don't even have labels at all, for example:

Spoiler

the red paint bucket.  I only guessed there was a hotspot there because the text label shifted when I scrolled over it.
[close]

Also, I don't get what's happening exactly... at one point Ian says he's looking for the lost tribe of the Gouda, but I have no idea who the Gouda are!  I figure it's something I'm supposed to learn about somewhere else.

That said, graphics are gorgeous and the storyline seems interesting so far.  Some nice animations and characters - the fact that Ian changes expression depending on his mood is a very cool touch.   However, this game still seems more like a beta version than a final release.  I want to keep playing but these minor bugs are just too frustrating.  I know you are "sick of it", but if you find time to correct these issues, the game would be improved 100%.

Vel

Great! Im downloading it right now.

PureGhostGR

Beautiful game!

Spoiler
Once I reach the giant bird and I use the luxative pills on it, the character gets stuck forever..
[close]

So far the game was really fun to play. I like all the shifting from one place to the next, and some of your animations are very impressive.

It is a pity I didn't save until I he got stuck. I'll see if I can replay this later and post more.

Great work.

Vel

I downloaded, saw the intro and now am between the dilemma "Broken Sword 3" or "Beyond reality". Ill play BR once I finish BS^_^ Seems nice so far though.

Meowster

Whores.

Okay um SSH, I be needing some scripting help. I have no idea whatsoever as to why the inventory won't scroll. Besides that, I can't figure out how to USE the pills and on top of all of that, what was the other thing? Uh, yeah. Well it was something, anyway. I'll upload the fixed version and then, uh, do something. Credit SSH. That's right. And fix "hobo".

Anyhoo, thanks for all the response so far. I have no idea what my game is like anymore, because I've seen all the graphics and such so goddamned much that I'm literally sick of them. But, you know... apparently, nobody else is, so you know, awesome! Maybe I will fix those bugs after all. In fact, I'm gonna load up AGS right now!

Evil

Looks great, love the music. But with all the freaking bugs you have you should probably but an exit option. :P
Spoiler
I CANT EVEN OPEN THE DAMN BOTTLE!
[close]

artphreak555

I don't know why, but i cannot download your game...i tried everthything; right clicking, pasting, clicking and nothing is working...whats up with that?

Meowster

Uh yeah. Well, you know click them twice, Evil. It makes no sense. Just click them twice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk