Forum upgrade

Started by AGA, Wed 25/04/2012 23:47:12

Previous topic - Next topic

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: AGA on Thu 14/06/2012 14:13:10
Quote from: Renodox on Thu 14/06/2012 11:22:11
When I try to do a search for a game with a number after the title, the forum won't let me saying, "The Minimum Characters in a Search Word Are"  That's it.  I can't find anything with that.

Can you tell me the exact search terms you're using?  Then I can look into the exact problem.

Anything with a single digit number.

Test 1

Shiny 2

Stuff like that.

AGA

Unfortunately there is a minimum of two characters per word for searches; searching for 'a' for instance would return billions of results.  If you want to search for test 1, you need to type "test 1", and it will search for the exact phrase (rather than any post that happens to contain the two words in any position) and work fine.

monkey0506

I don't know if it was directly based on my list but I've noticed that a few more keywords are missing from the highlighting (which I didn't actually include in my listing):

Code: ags
managed
readonly
extends

All of these should appear highlighted in blue same as int or void.

AGA

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Mon 18/06/2012 05:37:35
I don't know if it was directly based on my list but I've noticed that a few more keywords are missing from the highlighting (which I didn't actually include in my listing):

Code: ags
managed
readonly
extends

All of these should appear highlighted in blue same as int or void.

Can't remember what source I ended up using in the end.  Added those anyway.

Stee

Any plans to implement tapatalk?

This would make me a happy Stee  ;)
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

AGA

SMF has a mobile version (WAP2 link at the bottom of every page).  What are the benefits of tapatalk?

timofonic

Quote from: AGA on Wed 20/06/2012 21:26:25
SMF has a mobile version (WAP2 link at the bottom of every page).  What are the benefits of tapatalk?

http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=smf

monkey0506

Surely the FAQ would have been a better link to provide, though that is just one additional click away.

QuoteQ: What's the point of this app if my members can access my site with mobile skin at no cost?

A: Most users are content with the mobile skin or a standard web browser but some of them would appreciate a full-on native app forum experience on their phone. For example Tapatalk app allows user to upload photo directly from their phone to your forum as an image attachment. All these will drive more engagement to your forum at no cost to you.

I've never used Tapatalk, but from what I've read and what I understand, it's just an integrated forum browser that users can access their favorite forums with instead of having to use the mobile (or full web) version. I honestly don't see what the real benefit would be, beyond just a matter of user preference.

Edit: Also, what was the point in breaking the forum rules just to quote the entire post immediately before yours?

AGA

Yeah, I read the site.  I just wanted to know what Stee, as someone who clearly recommends using it, thinks the benefits are.

Atelier

Not sure where to put this. I think it would make more sense to have the "I've worked on the following games" above the google map, seeing as people are more likely to look at a profile for their games. Plus it is sort of annoying scrolling down. Would a switcheroo be possible and am I the only one who thinks this?

Khris

Tabata

Ryan Timothy B

What's going on with the highlighting of text and pressing a quick formatting button? It applies it to all the lines instead of just at the beginning and end of the selection.

AGA

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Thu 05/07/2012 20:45:47
What's going on with the highlighting of text and pressing a quick formatting button? It applies it to all the lines instead of just at the beginning and end of the selection.

Not for me on Firefox 13...

As for the profile page layout, I'll sort that tomorrow.  Too wiped for today.

monkey0506

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: AGA on Thu 05/07/2012 22:02:05

Not for me on Firefox 13...

Code: AGS
[b]I'm using 13.0.1 and it does that to me.[/b]

Code: AGS
[b]Testing.[/b]

^ Two lines highlighted, both now have a code tag and bold tag.

WYSIWYG (with bbc buttons and smilies)
Quick Reply: show (on by default)

Edit: Oh and what Monkey wants! That'd be awesome shit. ;)

monkey0506

Ryan, I don't understand what you're even saying.

I think what you're saying is that if you highlight some text that you've already typed and then click the WYSIWYG button that the tags are being applied to the entire post instead of only the highlighted bit? Coz if that's what you're saying then 1) it wasn't clear at all from your "example" you just posted and 2) it's not working that way for me on Google Chrome.

(Formatting tags were added by the WYSIWYG buttons after the post was typed out...)

Edit: I think I was actually able to replicate what you're saying. IFF the selected text spans multiple lines then the WYSIWYG buttons are wrapping each line in separate tags instead of wrapping the entire block in one set of tags. Is this what you meant?

Kweepa

Lovely job upgrading the forums, thanks!
One thing I'd like would be "View the most posts on the forum" at the top rather than the bottom as that's the only way I read the forums and I have to scroll down to the bottom of the page every time I visit.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Fri 06/07/2012 05:54:42
Ryan, I don't understand what you're even saying.
I'll guide you through this. ;)

I guess I could've said "applies it to all the selected lines". Also my last post made it more confusing by not explaining that I actually pressed the code and bold buttons while those two lines were highlighted altogether.

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Fri 06/07/2012 05:54:42
I think I was actually able to replicate what you're saying. IFF the selected text spans multiple lines then the WYSIWYG buttons are wrapping each line in separate tags instead of wrapping the entire block in one set of tags. Is this what you meant?
Yes. That's what I meant.

Edit: The main reason I find it a terrible feature of the SMF WYSIWYG because I often select multiple lines after I've typed something and press the button. Mostly with quote or code tags. I could've sworn when these were first added they didn't have this issue. Let me check if the quick reply is the reason for this.

Edit: Yup. That's what I thought. I knew it used to work the way it should before AGA swapped the default to quick reply.

Funny thing is the quick reply has some better features, but the non quick reply still has the old Code tags. Both the drop down and the code button output the code tags.

I still want to see how the code highlighting was implemented and why it was easy to get the  [code=ags]  to work but not the single  [code]. (not that I'm insulting you or anything)

monkey0506

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Fri 06/07/2012 07:09:40
Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Fri 06/07/2012 05:54:42Ryan, I don't understand what you're even saying.

I'll guide you through this. ;)

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Thu 05/07/2012 20:45:47What's going on with the highlighting of text and pressing a quick formatting button? It applies it to all the lines instead of just at the beginning and end of the selection.

I guess I could've said "applies it to all the selected lines". Also my last post made it more confusing by not explaining that I actually pressed the code and bold buttons while those two lines were highlighted altogether.

Patronizing much? :P What you said was entirely ambiguous. You'd have to read into it quite a bit to arrive at your actual meaning.

In any case, I don't know what kind of a worthless slob you'd have to be to be too lazy to type your own BBcode tags. (roll)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk