YouTube embeds

Started by Snarky, Sat 29/10/2022 09:03:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Just another example of how nobody understands the way embedded YouTube videos is supposed to work. Is it completely impossible to do anything about, so that it will accept a full URL rather than just the ID?

Cassiebsg

Thing is that grabbing an url is easy and straight forward... figuring out what the video ID is, isn't. As far as I know there isn't anywhere one can copy paste the ID, except for analysing and dissecting the url...

I would rather just being able to enter the url as well, even though I know how to find the video ID and enter that.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AGA

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 29/10/2022 09:03:46Just another example of how nobody understands the way embedded YouTube videos is supposed to work. Is it completely impossible to do anything about, so that it will accept a full URL rather than just the ID?

You're welcome to try...  Plugin is here, and SMF core here.  I can give you access to the dev test forums if you have an idea of how to fix it.

Snarky

OK, so it looks like the plugin tag is supposed to work with full URLs. So I suppose the first step is to set up a minimal test on a basic SMF install and see if it works at all; if so, the problem is presumably some aspect of the setup or a conflict with some other component.

AGA

I think the issue is SMF 2.1 added support for [youtube] out of the box, which is probably affecting the plugin's more extensive use of the tag.

eri0o

I briefly took a look at the plugin code, and the output div tags it uses in the forum for the youtube bbcode tag does not match what is seen in the forums when looking through the web browser source inspection, so my guess is the parsing isn't going through the plugin.

AGA

I'd guess the native tag is catching the input instead of the plugin.  I haven't got the time or energy to look at it now, will look soon!

Khris

I'd simply remove the plugin. SMF's native youtube button shows a small box where you can paste the URL, then it extracts and inserts just the ID.

The other functionality the plugin adds seems useless and broken anyway.

AGA

Quote from: Khris on Tue 08/11/2022 13:09:38I'd simply remove the plugin. SMF's native youtube button shows a small box where you can paste the URL, then it extracts and inserts just the ID.

The other functionality the plugin adds seems useless and broken anyway.

Yup, seems to work, thanks!  It's now using the core SMF parser, which as you say makes it a bit more obvious how it should work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk