*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 19/09/2015 17:05:18
is this some POV movie?
Nope. But I intentionally choose POV screenshots.

Ryan Timothy B

I'm pretty certain that's the eyes and chest of Mona Lisa, but as far as I can tell, I have not seen this movie.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Ryan Timoothy on Sun 20/09/2015 22:47:33
I'm pretty certain that's the eyes and chest of Mona Lisa,
I may add that the portrait's title is completely irrelevant.
The action taken on the portrait is related to character's area of work, though. ;)

Cassiebsg

Uhm... The puzzle solver? (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Snarky

So the main character is some kind of art restorer, or possibly a forger?

I'll guess... The Man Who Always Wore Gloves

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 22/09/2015 08:53:15
So the main character is some kind of art restorer, or possibly a forger?
Not exactly, but connected with both types of people.

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 22/09/2015 08:53:15
I'll guess... The Man Who Always Wore Gloves
Hehe, this is almost true, at least for the first half of the movie.

Oh well, it looks like this is a dead end.

Here, this screenshot could probably be an instant giveaway for someone who've seen the movie. If there will be no guesses, I might conclude no one have :S.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 24/09/2015 00:18:49
Here, this screenshot could probably be an instant giveaway for someone who've seen the movie. If there will be no guesses, I might conclude no one have :S.

IMDB gave me the answer, but I have to admit I'd never heard of this movie. That's the catch with this game, I suppose. If you choose a popular movie, everybody will get it. If you go obscure, nobody will know.:-\
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Quintaros

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 24/09/2015 01:26:17
If you choose a popular movie, everybody will get it. If you go obscure, nobody will know.:-\

Becoming aware of an obscure movie is part of the appeal.  I've skipped over The Best Offer in the Netflix catalog many times without giving it much consideration.  Now that it's shown up here, I take it as an implicit endorsement and may give it a watch.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Quintaros on Thu 24/09/2015 13:36:52
Becoming aware of an obscure movie is part of the appeal.  I've skipped over The Best Offer in the Netflix catalog many times without giving it much consideration.  Now that it's shown up here, I take it as an implicit endorsement and may give it a watch.

Yes, this is "The Best Offer" with Geoffrey Rush in the main role.

Quintaros

Okay, if LimpingFish doesn't want to claim it I'll go.

Should be an easy one:

Snarky

Well the obvious guess is Das Boot... so, that?

Quintaros

Maybe that was too easy.

Snarky

Well, they don't all have to be tough.

Here's one with an interesting story to it...

nihilyst

Is it Gaslight, the 1940 version?

Ponch

The Dapper Adventures of Moustache McFogg, Gentleman Crimefighter? :cheesy:

Snarky

No, this guy's the villain, Ponch.

Quote from: nihilyst on Mon 28/09/2015 00:53:02
Is it Gaslight, the 1940 version?

Wow, I'm impressed! Yes indeed. The movie was remade four years later, and MGM made it a condition when they purchased the rights that all the copies of the older version should be destroyed. Although some survived, it wasn't generally available in any form until Ted Turner got the rights and managed to track down a copy, presumably some time in the 1990s. Say what you will about colorization, that man has done film history many a good service!

Vague link to the previous one: Jürgen Prochnow from Das Boot was in Dune with José Ferrer, who in the 1930s played this same part in the Broadway production of Gaslight.

nihilyst

Got lucky there. Had seen Gaslight (1940) on TV last year and was quite intrigued by it, so I did a bit of background research and found out about the other version. What gave it away now was the low contrast quality which made parts of the film hard to watch. I recommend it, though. How does it compare to the 1944 version?

New one:

Snarky

I only watched bits of it. I actually meant to watch the 1944 version â€" someone was talking about Bergman in it â€" but I didn't look too carefully and got the 1940 version by mistake. Then I was confused when the opening titles played, and did more research..

As for this one, I don't recognize it, but maybe you also watched Rick & Morty and got to thinking... The Purge?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk