*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Nope, but you're circling around the answer, so let me just post this last one before someone gets it:

Quintaros

Boy that looks like the old version of the dove leaving Rutger Hauer's hand at the end of Blade Runner.  And the theatrical cut contained some leftover footage from The Shining. But I didn't recognize the clock.  Is it also a shot that's specific to the theatrical cut?

Snarky

You got it dude!

With what's probably the most-often-guessed movie on this thread, that almost everyone has seen, and that is especially relevant this week with the release of the sequel, I felt I had to pick some tricky caps if it wasn't going to be immediately obvious.

The mountains are from the theatrical version (as you say, unused footage shot for The Shining).

The dove shot is used, I think, in all the old versions: workprint, theatrical cut and Director's Cut (but there exists a deleted scene of a different one – I'm curious why it wasn't used). I personally think they went a bit too far dystopin' it up for the Final Cut: I would have liked to keep a hint of blue sky to better maintain the symbolism of the shot. (This is my number one complaint about that version of the movie, to the point where I almost want to redo it myself so that I can splice it into the film at that point.)

The forest is from the unicorn scene, of course (which has been — incorrectly — rumored to be footage from Legend), specifically the shot used in the Final Cut. I wasn't sure whether the version from the Director's Cut or Final Cut would be harder to recognize, but personally it's the DC version that I visualize when I think of the scene.

The cuckoo clock is from JF Sebastian's apartment (it's right when Pris spraypaints herself with raccoon eyes). The screencap is taken from the Final Cut, but I'm pretty sure it is present in other versions as well (there's a whole bit where it goes off and she glances over at it). I thought this was the one shot that is arguably least misleading about the contents of the movie, and the one shot that anyone who has seen any version of Blade Runner was guaranteed to have seen, so it's funny that it's the one you couldn't recognize.

Spoiler
BTW, as I was taking the screencaps I came across a version of the ending I don't remember seeing before (though I must have, since it's from an extra in the box set and I watched all of those), where Rachael and Deckard actually have a whole conversation in the car as they're driving away (in this version they're just driving along a road in California, not swooping through snow-peaked mountains):

"You know what else I think? You and I were made for each other."
[close]

Edit: Oh, and also BTW, the accidental/spurious link with the last one was that in Blade Runner there actually is a special effects shot of a photo that comes to life for a brief second (Rachael's photo of what she thinks is herself as a child with her mother).

Quintaros

Yes, I always thought the blue sky in the original dove scene was a choice until I read later that the dove simply wouldn't fly with the rain machines running.  I'm at peace with them modifying that for the Final Cut.  The blue sky was perhaps a little too on the nose.

Spoiler

I've watched all the different versions and do recall that line.  It's a definite groaner.  One of the most common criticisms of Blade Runner is that there is no chemistry between Deckard and Rachel.  I think that makes the movie more interesting.  It's not romantic.  But that line in addition to being a wink at the ambiguity of Deckard also implies a romantic chemistry that is not there.
[close]

I don't know how I feel about the Blade Runner sequel.  I was never clamouring for one.  And Harrison Ford's track record for resurrecting old characters has not been good.  But it seems to be getting good reviews so now I'm starting to get interested.

Mandle

Well done indeed Snarky on piecing together such an amazing puzzle for Blade Runner fans out of all the different cuts from different versions!!!

I had no idea, and I'm quite a fan of the movie! Haven't seen it in a while though...

Excited about the sequel though!

Quintaros

milkanannan

Sticking to a Stanley Kubrick theme with 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Quintaros

Was there a Kubrick theme going on?  Of course you're correct.  Difficult to find any image from that movie that isn't a giveaway.

milkanannan

Yeah no kidding. Most scenes are a giveaway, and I appreciate you keeping the mammoth skeleton in there to at least give us a clue. 8-)

Alright maybe this one's too easy...

Quintaros

I don't see "Navy Seals" on the shelves...

milkanannan

? No idea what you're talking about. (laugh) Is that an Under Siege reference?

Amayirot Akago

Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Kumpel

Clerks?

Amayirot beat me to it :D

milkanannan

Amayirot Akago

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/4yaxjgw.png[/imgzoom]

Well then, more B&W goodness it is ;)
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Quintaros

Amayirot Akago

Quintaros

If we're doing B&W as a theme, let's try this one:

Ben X

Well, it looks a little Dali-esque, so I'll go for Un Chien Andalou

Quintaros

Right track but wrong movie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk