*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Guess the rest of you don't watch the same movies I do. :~(

If you don't get it from this one it's safe to say you won't get it at all:

Ben X

I knew it from the first one, it's The Extraordinary Adventures Of Adele Blanc-Sec (with awesome French gratuitous nudity)!

(I was actually going to guess But I'm A Cheerleader just as a joke when Gurok said it had a cheerleader in it, dammit.)

Will hopefully have a new one for you folks in 24 hours.

Snarky

Phew! You're right. Based on the comic by Tardi.

And the nudity may be slightly gratuitous (though it's a scene taken pretty much straight from the comic), but I think American-style gratuitous non-nudity â€" with L-shaped bed covers, coy camera angles and people who never take their clothes off during sex â€" is far more distracting. I wish we could go back to the seventies (or even early eighties), when mainstream movies would integrate nudity naturally, when appropriate.

GarageGothic

Wow, had no idea there was an Adele movie. Used to read them off the adult comics section in the library as a kid. Is it a good movie though? Which book did they film? From the screenshot I assume it's the pterodaktyl story.

Snarky

It's... OK, but not really in the same league as the comic. It's directed by Luc Besson, and he's added in some rather broad slapstick/scatological comedy, toned down the violence, and turned Adèle into a more conventional action-comedy heroine, so that many parts of the film seem targeted at kids in the 10-12 age range (though I would guess they would be bored by some of the other segments).

The best thing about it is Louise Bourgoin as Adèle, which is somewhat surprising since she was a model/weathergirl without real acting experience when she was cast.

The film is very loosely based on Adèle et la bête (the pterodactyl story) and Momies en folie (the one with the mummies).

GarageGothic

Thanks for the info. Will have to track down a copy if it's Luc Besson. Strange I never heard about it, I watch a lot of comic book films.

Ben X

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 22/05/2014 10:30:37
And the nudity may be slightly gratuitous (though it's a scene taken pretty much straight from the comic), but I think American-style gratuitous non-nudity â€" with L-shaped bed covers, coy camera angles and people who never take their clothes off during sex â€" is far more distracting. I wish we could go back to the seventies (or even early eighties), when mainstream movies would integrate nudity naturally, when appropriate.

Yeah, I totally agree. It was surprising, at any rate!

Okay, here's the next one. It has an indirect link to the previous one, which you MUST ALSO GUESS AT.

Armageddon

Ben X

No, but it is a spaceship in a film with French comic book influences (which is also the indirect connection to Adele Blanc Sec - I almost did The Fifth Element but thought it would be too easy).

Snarky

Ben X

That's it! Jane Fonda climbs out of that opening porthole a moment later.

Snarky

OK, I thought I'd try something a little different, and post a short clip instead of a still frame:

[imgzoom]http://i.cubeupload.com/ooTPzJ.gif[/imgzoom]

(This was also an excuse to learn how to make GIFs from a video. I've cropped it a little, BTW, so there'd be at least the pretense of a challenge.)

Gribbler

Snarky

Gribbler

Ben X

That looks like Lou Ferrigno, so Incredible Hulk (though he didn't play human Banner, obv)?

Gribbler

It's Lou but not from Hulk.

Esseb

I have no idea about the movie, but I think my grandparents had the exact same wallpaper.

Gribbler

HINT: It's a documentary movie.

Baron

Quote from: Esseb on Tue 27/05/2014 20:19:33
I have no idea about the movie, but I think my grandparents had the exact same wallpaper.

Oh, man!  I used to have a shirt with that floral pattern on it!  I loved that shirt!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk